R&L | We don't want your freight!!!!!!

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
Our terminal continues to leave drivers home everyday, when there is enough freight to bring everyone in.

Yesterday, I was at a customer who had six skids ready to go, I had an empty trailer.

I called the dispatcher to let him know, and he told me to leave the freight, that we would get it tomorrow.

The reason, he said that we were heqavy on pick-ups, and I would not have enough room to get all the other freight from my other customers, if I got these six skids.(And here dumb ole me thought we were in the business of picking up freight)

This kind of thing happens daily, My Question is, why not bring some of the 5-6 guys sitting at home, who want to work, and take care of our customers by offering excellent service like we used to?

All you can is shake your head, none of it makes sense.

Did you end up full at the end of the day? I think thats the real question.Could you have gotten those skids?My dispatch would have never left a 6 skid order behind.They would have shuffled things a bit but they never leave freight intentionally.

That's all because your TM is obsessed with trying to meet his NUMBERS!! So, of course customer service means nothing to him. Thank God our new TM has many years of experience running a terminal. The 5 or 6 guys without runs at our terminal are brought in everyday around 10am, either to deliver one multi skid stop or just hook up to an empty. One or two might even be brought in earlier,and those early guys are always filling up 2 trailers a day. Just because your deliveries are slow doesn't mean the pick-up side will be slow. They should be giving your salesman the day off too, because there is no need to recruit new business if you don't have the manpower on the street to handle it. If we didn't have those guys doing just pick-ups,we would be in the same situation as your terminal,and sooner or later those customers would just find a company that is capable of making their pick-ups everyday. When the delivery side picks back up again we are gonna be in trouble.

We always end up full shadow, and always showing up late because there are not enough drivers working...

Sad thing is, I looked through the R&L forum, and I was complaining about the EXACT same things 2 years ago..

We could mop the floor with our competitors, if the terminal manager wasn't so afraid to bring the guys in, and get the freight.

They act like they don't want the freight, often times when we tell the dispatchert hat we got more skids than expected, we hear how he hates these damn places.(customers) Isn't the definition of INSANE, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result?

Thats what they continue to do at our terminal. NUTS

Well said my RL_PHI,
The people running our terminal are way over their head, when it comes professionalism, running a business, people skills, maturity, and treating employee's fairly.

Well said my RL_PHI,
The people running our terminal are way over their head, when it comes professionalism, running a business, people skills, maturity, and treating employee's fairly.

Didn't I see on the company kiosk a number to call if your terminal was missing pick ups on a regular basis? Call Jeff C in corp and let him know whats going on. He seems to be the only one who gives a S$%T whats going on in the terminals anymore...

Didn't I see on the company kiosk a number to call if your terminal was missing pick ups on a regular basis? Call Jeff C in corp and let him know whats going on. He seems to be the only one who gives a S$%T whats going on in the terminals anymore...
What he said. Jeff does care.

I agree, Jeff seems to cares, but isn't his responsibility to KNOW whats going on at the terminals???

I don't want to deal with the the retaliation I have seen to guys who have called Wilmington.

Damn, if the company is up 2% for the year, and our terminal is DOWN 15% for the year, dosen't that tell them they need to make changes?

For the record, I can't believe they shared that info with us.

If they don't change how they do business, I, and everyone else who works at my terminal really have got to the point that we really don't care anymore.

I personally plan to be working somewhere else soon anyway.

Thay have made it perfectly clear,that they don't care about losing a driver with almost 50,000 safe hours, thats fine, with my safe work history and no tickets, I have options.

With our old TM, we were constantly running short handed, and just like you we were constantly missing pick-ups,or not picking them up because dispatcher would say he only called in 1 skid,and when we show up they have 4 more. So dispatcher would tell us to tell him a truck will be there later to pick it up since he added to it without calling it in. Of course that truck didn't show up til the next day. Our dispatchers hated customers too. Imagine that,hating the people who are trying to contribute to our growth as a company. Our new TM is worried about numbers too,but it's not an obsession with him. Part of customer service is having enough equipment on the road to service all customers that call in. Might not be enough deliveries right now but there sure are enough pick-ups for everyone to take part in. Customers remember the pick ups that are missed and they definitely remember the companies that miss them. Biggest problem is missed pick ups can be hidden, therefore your TM's numbers stay low by keeping people home and he has nothing to answer for. 5 or 6 guys for us just doing pick-ups everyday has us just below the standard 1.5 stops per hour as a terminal,But as soon as deliveries pick-up again, we will be blowing them numbers off the chart.

If a customer has freight put it on the truck. Then call your dispatcher and tell him u made a p/u while u were delivering.
i have done that once or twice. If you are real quiet, you can hear the dispatcher's pulse pounding on the other end of the line. Priceless!!

If they would just take care of the their customers, the only NUMBER that MATTERS would take care if itself.. "PROFIT"

I read on the YRC board that their corporate office has changed direction since they got a new CEO, allowing their termianl to take responsibility and run their terminals, making decisions, taking care of their customers, without a lot of CENTRAL PLANNING from corporate, thus making them more effiecent, and getting a rid of a lot of PENCIL NECK NUMBER CRUCHING GEEK MIDDLE MANAGERS, that are hurting their business.

Sounds like a helluva good idea to me...If they truly stick with this model, they will be kicking everyones asses...

R&L has become way to top heavy, with a bunch of these know-nothings, that try try to justify their jobs by having us meet numbers on a computer screen. It only hurts the company.

Our termianl manager is scared to death, and only trys to manage are termianl based on numbers and directives from Wilmington, without any regard for the customers or employee's.
In the LTL business these days its all about hiting numbers, Not what the customer needs or wants. :438:

If they would just take care of the their customers, the only NUMBER that MATTERS would take care if itself.. "PROFIT"

I read on the YRC board that their corporate office has changed direction since they got a new CEO, allowing their termianl to take responsibility and run their terminals, making decisions, taking care of their customers, without a lot of CENTRAL PLANNING from corporate, thus making them more effiecent, and getting a rid of a lot of PENCIL NECK NUMBER CRUCHING GEEK MIDDLE MANAGERS, that are hurting their business.

Sounds like a helluva good idea to me...If they truly stick with this model, they will be kicking everyones asses...

R&L has become way to top heavy, with a bunch of these know-nothings, that try try to justify their jobs by having us meet numbers on a computer screen. It only hurts the company.

Our termianl manager is scared to death, and only trys to manage are termianl based on numbers and directives from Wilmington, without any regard for the customers or employee's.

Oh good,that will give R+L more people to hire in corporate.LOL

I agree, Too many people working in Wilmington with too much free time on their hands. Let terminals run themselves. TM's know how many people they need to cover the work for the day. They know they need to be prepared in case Pick ups get unusually heavy. A missed pick-up is worse than a missed delivery. I'm glad this year I'm not apologizing to customers who were neglected the day before. Hire someone in WIL to keep track of missed pick-ups and revenue lost for the day. If we are gonna miss a pick-up, Hire someone in WIL to personally call the customer to apologize and offer them a little discount. That would be "Customer Service" at it's best. I also bet every terminal would be running with enough drivers to cover everything.

Been at my terminal 7 years and now I haven't had a day of work since last Friday. We get two truck loads of batteries a day from a place that our TM got it routed and paid as line haul, which is fine because it pays more than doing it hourly. They have chosen to only send one driver a day to get one trailer leaving the other and me at home.. Jeff Cospey won't return my calls about this

Been at my terminal 7 years and now I haven't had a day of work since last Friday. We get two truck loads of batteries a day from a place that our TM got it routed and paid as line haul, which is fine because it pays more than doing it hourly. They have chosen to only send one driver a day to get one trailer leaving the other and me at home.. Jeff Cospey won't return my calls about this
Then call Robby.He may take a few days to get back to you but he will.How long has it been since you called Jeff?

It was friday and I found out I'm not the only guy who called and didn't get a response. I finally got to work some today and ran into the guy who also called Jeff and he claimed he got Zimmerman on the phone and our clueless leader plans on "looking" into it. I'm not holding my breath

It was friday and I found out I'm not the only guy who called and didn't get a response. I finally got to work some today and ran into the guy who also called Jeff and he claimed he got Zimmerman on the phone and our clueless leader plans on "looking" into it. I'm not holding my breath
Thats not like Jeff.Very strange.