R&L | We don't want your freight!!!!!!

Well theres been a lot of strange things this last couple months, my terminal just isn't running the way it did a couple years ago and every P&D driver has lost the enthusiasm for being there. I can only hope things turn around

sapper said:
Hopefully Jeff has not left the company. He usually returns calls promptly....

He didn't leave. He is busy. I called him a couple of days ago and he returned my call but I was busy and when I called him back he was busy again. I ended up getting a call back from Robby first so I got my issue taken care of that way.

TM got a call from Zimmerman and had a three way call with out salesmen. He told them to go to every business we pissed off and kiss their ass to get freight back and then told our TM to work everyone period.. Things are about to change finally

In the LTL business these days its all about hiting numbers, Not what the customer needs or wants. :438:

that sounds like our dispatcher. missing pickups, lieing on drivers when he misses pickups and could care less about customers needs and his drivers. lost alot of customers because of his missed pickups. could somebody tell me if R&L has a phone number or on there web site a section for missed pickups? so we could call and let corporate know how many pickups are missed and how many customers we lose because of dispatchers stupidity

That's what is happening to our frieght. Every LTL salesman is at every customer beggin for their business. As soon as we miss one pick-up,customer decides to give other company a try,and of course they have enough drivers on the road to service them. Hmmmmmmm, wonder why we havent picked up at this place in awhile.......Our bill count is low for tommorrow,let's give 10 drivers the day off,load the guys working with 15 stops each and maybe later we will have time to do most of the pick-ups.Just call every customer and tell them to stay open 2 hours later and we will get their pick-up eventually. If they cant stay,maybe we will get it tommorrow,because dispatch isn't entering it as a missed pick-up because they will look bad,and chances are they wont remember it the next day,perfect opp for other company to get new freight. Saving money????? Sounds like losing money to me.......Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money.....every driver working 7-8 hours a day and not missing any pick-ups or Just enough drivers working 10-12 hours aday and missing a few pick-ups... I'm missing the logic in this. saving money or losin money???

So we have to have an attitude of we dont care no more. Dispatcher is bad mouthing a driver and lieing on him because the driver gives the customers his cell number and if a company closes at 3 and they call him at 2:40 he goes and gets the pickup. Nobody he could talk to, management sticks together and would fire the driver and make it look he us at fault. I personally would not give my cell number out. I am going to customers everyday and there telling me I called in 2plts but you have 5plts. Three of the plts were from yesterday you guys never picked up. I will just sit back and let them run the terminal and the company the way they feel fit. Just dont tell us to get mire frt and then you miss pickups and lose the customers

TM got a call from Zimmerman and had a three way call with out salesmen. He told them to go to every business we pissed off and kiss their ass to get freight back and then told our TM to work everyone period.. Things are about to change finally

Your a 7 year driver sitting at home due to no work? I missed the 7 year part. That is your sales persons fault there. That was kinda happening at my term then I called corp and raised a stink about our regional sales person not doing their job. A few weeks went by then he showed up at our term. Now we are kinda busy. I sent a few messages through the web site and got a response. But just keep in mind, that your TM can see the message you send if you send it to operations. When I complained about the sales I chose the sales option he was non the wiser.

So we have to have an attitude of we dont care no more. Dispatcher is bad mouthing a driver and lieing on him because the driver gives the customers his cell number and if a company closes at 3 and they call him at 2:40 he goes and gets the pickup. Nobody he could talk to, management sticks together and would fire the driver and make it look he us at fault. I personally would not give my cell number out. I am going to customers everyday and there telling me I called in 2plts but you have 5plts. Three of the plts were from yesterday you guys never picked up. I will just sit back and let them run the terminal and the company the way they feel fit. Just dont tell us to get mire frt and then you miss pickups and lose the customers

That's the thing, they do not care, so it has given me he same attitude. Which is sad.
As for the cell phone.... I DO NOT give my number out, my number is blocked so when I call a customer it will not show up. When I get a customer that will not accept blocked calls, I then call dispatch to have them call. My TM and Dispatcher got mad at me for a bit because I said until you pay my phone bill DO NOT tell me how to use MY phone. They drive me bonkers!!:duh:

The nerve of some of these customers....
to actually want their freight picked up the
same day it's called in!!! Not very long ago
a missed pick up was like the unforgivable
sin, now it's everyday. No wonder our bill
count is off more than usual during this time.

it is february and we are missing pick ups and yet we have guys staying home against their will everyday.
WTF IS GOING ON HERE?????
you CANT miss pick ups everyday in ******* february!!!! do the people at the top EVER pay attention???? we look like amateurs and it is embarrassing to say you work here sometimes. dispatchers that are worthless and arrogant(not all of them) to the point that they act like the customers are at our disposal, not the other way around. routers who just do not know what they are doing, or where anything is, even when they are staring at a map, and COULD CARE LESS ABOUT DRIVERS BEING ABLE TO MAKE PICK UPS! i mean hello!! is this some kind of experiment to see how NOT to run a trucking company??? you cant think it is a good idea to have the inbound guys come out and say they do not care if we make pick ups or not.(that is 100% the accurate truth!!!)

and management that only worries about numbers as far as the man hours goes, not missed pick ups or return deliveries because the driver got to the stop too late because he didnt leave the yard until after 10 with 15 deliveries.
being ran the way it is right now, who is going to want to use us in about 3-5 years??
am i whining? maybe i am. but you see i need this ******* job and my family needs me to stay here. so i will admit my reasons for whining are selfish reasons, as i think most of us who post here are also. we need to and want to work, so most of us go out and give more than 100% everyday. but the only way we are going to keep our jobs is by not having our terminals run by guys who just dont care, or just dont know what they are doing to the point that they are running the company into the dirt.. and that is what the problem is.
whether it is arrogance or ignorance that is the problem, neither one will do us any good

I swear we must work at the same terminal...If things don't change jules, I really doubt R&L will be here in 3-5 years..I agree with everything you said in your post...
it is february and we are missing pick ups and yet we have guys staying home against their will everyday.
WTF IS GOING ON HERE?????
you CANT miss pick ups everyday in ******* february!!!! do the people at the top EVER pay attention???? we look like amateurs and it is embarrassing to say you work here sometimes. dispatchers that are worthless and arrogant(not all of them) to the point that they act like the customers are at our disposal, not the other way around. routers who just do not know what they are doing, or where anything is, even when they are staring at a map, and COULD CARE LESS ABOUT DRIVERS BEING ABLE TO MAKE PICK UPS! i mean hello!! is this some kind of experiment to see how NOT to run a trucking company??? you cant think it is a good idea to have the inbound guys come out and say they do not care if we make pick ups or not.(that is 100% the accurate truth!!!)

and management that only worries about numbers as far as the man hours goes, not missed pick ups or return deliveries because the driver got to the stop too late because he didnt leave the yard until after 10 with 15 deliveries.
being ran the way it is right now, who is going to want to use us in about 3-5 years??
am i whining? maybe i am. but you see i need this ******* job and my family needs me to stay here. so i will admit my reasons for whining are selfish reasons, as i think most of us who post here are also. we need to and want to work, so most of us go out and give more than 100% everyday. but the only way we are going to keep our jobs is by not having our terminals run by guys who just dont care, or just dont know what they are doing to the point that they are running the company into the dirt.. and that is what the problem is.
whether it is arrogance or ignorance that is the problem, neither one will do us any good

They are turning down regular customers who want to ship more freight than the regular route driver can get.
The tm said it hurts the numbers to send someone extra out to pickup and/or swap trailers because he only gets
credit for one stop. The other day we had a regular shipper close to the yard give us 3 trailer loads (30 bills) of freight,
1 driver picked up all 3 loads and went into the red for that day because he only got credit for 1 stop. He was in the TM's
office get chewed out for not being in the green. Years ago this kind of customer was what we wanted, now since numbers
are more important it looks better on paper to go to 30 different places and get 1 bill each.

They are turning down regular customers who want to ship more freight than the regular route driver can get.
The tm said it hurts the numbers to send someone extra out to pickup and/or swap trailers because he only gets
credit for one stop. The other day we had a regular shipper close to the yard give us 3 trailer loads (30 bills) of freight,
1 driver picked up all 3 loads and went into the red for that day because he only got credit for 1 stop. He was in the TM's
office get chewed out for not being in the green
. Years ago this kind of customer was what we wanted, now since numbers
are more important it looks better on paper to go to 30 different places and get 1 bill each.
Dishpatch is the one whos head needs to be on a pike, unless you guys self-dispatch

We just need some common sense when tracking our production, just like our peddle routes are hardly ever in the green because you get
no credit for time spent driving.