Central Transport | We Hit The Iceburg--Brought to you by Chris Keylon

Popswasnatlman

TB Lurker
Credits
Rumors galore folks. We have all heard about the windows covered over in the conference room and how the Canadians are here meeting with the VP's one at a time. No doubt telling them about their severance packages based on signed contracts. We know of one senior level VP that resigned today plus at least one rep in NAS.

From the folks that route us hither and yon with reckless abandon ( plus the great one, the son of "Klinger" the cross dresser in the Mash TV series from you know where) , we are done next Friday. Word is all TM's must be at home terminal on Monday for conference call which will outline the orderly closure of Vitran USA operations. Supposedly they will announce a week from today to the market that we will close our doors effective immediately. Told we will then deliver freight in the system and shut her down. Get your vacation requests in by Monday morning or better yet over the weekend.

One last thing, heard they will bring in a 3rd party to shut us down. Sounds like the FedEx boys may be getting their walking papers rather soon if not already. Good job Chris, Kosovec is laughing his @SS OFF.

Appears McClimon determined our case is terminal, he knows his $hit!

That's a bold prediction Pops, I wonder why they would comply with the WARN act out west but ignore it for the rest of the company? Good luck to all no matter what happens.

If this is true.
It sucks.
And it was a good fight on my side. I know I did my job and the management failed me.
So on to the next job with new eyes and a better education on the industry .

I feel for you guys; nothing lasts for ever, if your young look at it as a blessing nothing is holding you back. On the other hand the older ones got the shaft that was my biggest fear to be up in years an have the ba**tards pull the carpet out from under me. last but not least the fellows who screamed "If you don't like it leave" you gentlemen were warned this was comming now feel free to carry the bosses box out to his
car. Best of luck to all of you and may you land on yer feet

Rumors galore folks. We have all heard about the windows covered over in the conference room and how the Canadians are here meeting with the VP's one at a time. No doubt telling them about their severance packages based on signed contracts. We know of one senior level VP that resigned today plus at least one rep in NAS.

From the folks that route us hither and yon with reckless abandon ( plus the great one, the son of "Klinger" the cross dresser in the Mash TV series from you know where) , we are done next Friday. Word is all TM's must be at home terminal on Monday for conference call which will outline the orderly closure of Vitran USA operations. Supposedly they will announce a week from today to the market that we will close our doors effective immediately. Told we will then deliver freight in the system and shut her down. Get your vacation requests in by Monday morning or better yet over the weekend.

One last thing, heard they will bring in a 3rd party to shut us down. Sounds like the FedEx boys may be getting their walking papers rather soon if not already. Good job Chris, Kosovec is laughing his @SS OFF.

Appears McClimon determined our case is terminal, he knows his $hit!
Vacation request? Now that's funny Pops.....People just need to hope they get paid for the last week they worked. From a legal stand point I don't know how it would play out. It's hard to get blood out of a turnip. Honestly I'm ready to move on and prepared. I will take some time off this winter and draw unemployment. I still have my health and my loving family and in the end that's all that matters. Come spring I will start over.

That's a bold prediction Pops, I wonder why they would comply with the WARN act out west but ignore it for the rest of the company? Good luck to all no matter what happens.

I don't think Pops is saying Vitran won't comply with WARN act. Ithink what he is saying is it is very important though for folks that won't meet WARN stipulations to do everything they can to protect any vacation time, etc, to have in writing what they/we are due. Federal law is very clear about WARN act but, any email records or documents you have can help you if you get any BS from the company down the road. Let's face it, if this is for real, Canada will be paying for the shutdown ( well maybe TFI or Transrforce will LOL ) and anything they can reject or deny is money in their pocket brothers.

I don't think Pops is saying Vitran won't comply with WARN act. Ithink what he is saying is it is very important though for folks that won't meet WARN stipulations to do everything they can to protect any vacation time, etc, to have in writing what they/we are due. Federal law is very clear about WARN act but, any email records or documents you have can help you if you get any BS from the company down the road. Let's face it, if this is for real, Canada will be paying for the shutdown ( well maybe TFI or Transrforce will LOL ) and anything they can reject or deny is money in their pocket brothers.
I wouldn't count on getting any vacation time at first. It will probably play out in a court of law.

Drink the Jimmy Jones Kool-Aid Train. Understand you want to trust and verify but this time it is for real. Don't hold your breath, you will turn purple and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should know my smart and sarcastic azz by now Pops....But I will say this and you young men need to listen to the Old Wise Train......If a ship has been sunk, I can't bring it up. If it is going to be sunk, I can't stop it. I can use my time much better working on tomorrow's problems that fretting about yesterday's. Besides, if I let those things get me, I wouldn't last long......Forget this place.....And move on. Better days are ahead.

i smell maple crown....R.T.? lol
Not gonna lie I'm getting my drunk on tonight.....The Ole lady says its cool under the circumstances....However its about celebrating and having fun. I'm truly happy its over. No regrets for the Train......I won't shed one tear....I will leave that to the many others. I knew it was coming and was prepared....It's the ones that kept their heads buried in the sand are the ones that are crying now. I warned them......I said don't be blindsided.....Should have listened to the Train this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
when it happens we will all be better off in the long run and the sun will still rise and set. a few of us already talked about celebrating after we rattle the locked gate.

You should know my smart and sarcastic azz by now Pops....But I will say this and you young men need to listen to the Old Wise Train......If a ship has been sunk, I can't bring it up. If it is going to be sunk, I can't stop it. I can use my time much better working on tomorrow's problems that fretting about yesterday's. Besides, if I let those things get me, I wouldn't last long......Forget this place.....And move on. Better days are ahead.
Had to edit original post.....Ole lady got mad...Sorry.....But I must say I thought it was funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notification Period

With three exceptions, notice must be timed to reach the required parties at least 60 days before a closing or layoff. When the individual employment separations for a closing or layoff occur on more than one day, the notices are due to the representative(s), State dislocated worker unit and local government at least 60 days before each separation. If the workers are not represented, each worker's notice is due at least 60 days before that worker's separation.

The exceptions to 60-day notice are:

(1) Faltering company. This exception, to be narrowly construed, covers situations where a company has sought new capital or business in order to stay open and where giving notice would ruin the opportunity to get the new capital or business, and applies only to plant closings;

(2) unforeseeable business circumstances. This exception applies to closings and layoffs that are caused by business circumstances that were not reasonably foreseeable at the time notice would otherwise have been required; and

(3) Natural disaster. This applies where a closing or layoff is the direct result of a natural disaster, such as a flood, earthquake, drought or storm.

If an employer provides less than 60 days advance notice of a closing or layoff and relies on one of these three exceptions, the employer bears the burden of proof that the conditions for the exception have been met. The employer also must give as much notice as is practicable. When the notices are given, they must include a brief statement of the reason for reducing the notice period in addition to the items required in notices.