SAIA | We need a union and we need it now!

Ah, the ole RTW argument....that's because we live in a Republic, NOT a democracy.

The difference being in a democracy the majority party rules (a lynch mob) just as in closed shop states but in a Republic not only does the majority party rule, the minority party still has rights, such as in RTW states (and the country as a whole).

Now before you argue that in RTW states where the minority party gets representation for free, I'll agree that they shouldn't get any representation at all. I think RTW laws should evolve to include no representation for non dues paying members but these non-members also get to operate by a different set of non-negotiated rules.
Example...everyone should adhere to the same non-economic policies but when it comes to economic policies, if members negotiate higher wages and benefits, so be it...but if those same members decide to strike to get better pay and bennies, the non-members continue to work because they're under different economic policies. If negotiations for members stretch on for years while their pay and bennies are frozen, non-members continue to work while getting any COL raises and bonuses awarded to them.

Agreed??
The right to fire without cause is the issue everything else I agree with.

The right to fire without cause is the issue everything else I agree with.
Ah, now it's "at will employees"....as stated before, the Govt has already mandated laws that prohibit wrongful termination and the courts, along with other Govt agencies such as the NLRB, constantly hear and rule on such cases. Although "at will employee" is still a legal term, the termination of an employee without legal merit is often unheard of...and the few that are usually get overturned by the courts.

Now in your case, sounds as if you're all for the union protecting employees who would've otherwise been terminated from any other company in the U.S./World.

Ah, now it's "at will employees"....as stated before, the Govt has already mandated laws that prohibit wrongful termination and the courts, along with other Govt agencies such as the NLRB, constantly hear and rule on such cases. Although "at will employee" is still a legal term, the termination of an employee without legal merit is often unheard of...and the few that are usually get overturned by the courts.

Now in your case, sounds as if you're all for the union protecting employees who would've otherwise been terminated from any other company in the U.S./World.
The culture at SAIA is union free Red. A union would never fly here thank God. We are treated fairly and with respect. And a very high percentage of our guys are perfectly happy. We don't need the parasite know as Hoffa leading us. Our CEO is doing just fine.

It's always been my issue with right to work. Hard is it really for a company to bring some to of reasoning for terminating an individual and the for the ex employee to prove to a nlrb that it was wrongful? Hell most people just walk away when they're penalized unemployment check. Your 2nd part I again agree with thru the grievance procedure.

The culture at SAIA is union free Red. A union would never fly here thank God. We are treated fairly and with respect. And a very high percentage of our guys are perfectly happy. We don't need the parasite know as Hoffa leading us. Our CEO is doing just fine.
Judging by the lack of union LTL companies vs the multitude of non-union LTL companies, I'm guessing that Saia isn't in that boat alone!!

It's always been my issue with right to work. Hard is it really for a company to bring some to of reasoning for terminating an individual and the for the ex employee to prove to a nlrb that it was wrongful? Hell most people just walk away when they're penalized unemployment check. Your 2nd part I again agree with thru the grievance procedure.
Nah, in RTW states, if someone is terminated it's because they terminated themselves!! Companies don't "just fire people" for no reason, if that were the case then almost every employee would have union protection...sorry, it just doesn't happen.

Nah, in RTW states, if someone is terminated it's because they terminated themselves!! Companies don't "just fire people" for no reason, if that were the case then almost every employee would have union protection...sorry, it just doesn't happen.
Keep being naive to that. Textbook terms maybe true, but saying management doesn't have their picks is absurd.

I believe ABF ... YRC ... HOLLAND ... UPSF ... are hiring. If you want that Union Utopia. Go for it. You will never find it at SAIA. The union has a defective product. It encourages mediocrity in the work place. That's not acceptable at SAIA LTL FREIGHT.
YEAH CAUSE YOU KNOW YOU WOULD LOSE HALF OF YOUR INCOME. AND LISTEN HOW COCKY HE IS. ITS TIME TO FIX THIS DRIVERS. WE DESERVE BETTER. CANT EVEN PAY US FOR THE WORK WE DO.

necro.jpg

Ah, the ole RTW argument....that's because we live in a Republic, NOT a democracy.

The difference being in a democracy the majority party rules (a lynch mob) just as in closed shop states but in a Republic not only does the majority party rule, the minority party still has rights, such as in RTW states (and the country as a whole).

Now before you argue that in RTW states where the minority party gets representation for free, I'll agree that they shouldn't get any representation at all. I think RTW laws should evolve to include no representation for non dues paying members but these non-members also get to operate by a different set of non-negotiated rules.
Example...everyone should adhere to the same non-economic policies but when it comes to economic policies, if members negotiate higher wages and benefits, so be it...but if those same members decide to strike to get better pay and bennies, the non-members continue to work because they're under different economic policies. If negotiations for members stretch on for years while their pay and bennies are frozen, non-members continue to work while getting any COL raises and bonuses awarded to them.

Agreed??

Actually, in Right Work all memebers don't have to be covered under a contract. Most all Unions typically negotiate as “exclusive bargaining representatives.” That lets them negotiate on behalf of all employees at a company, whether or not those workers want their representation.

I think this not only let's them negotiate a better deal, but more importantly it prevents other unions from being allowed to come into a shop and and represent members who don't wish to join that particular Union.

The catch is they're required to represent all employees not just members when it's all inclusive.

fDnDebM.jpg

No amount of voodoo can bring Hoffa Sr. back. Now if we can just get rid of his son maybe the Teamsters can put all that corruption behind them. I wouldn't bet on it though. At least his Daddy stood for something. Jr. is nothing but a POS. He's just a snake oil salesman trying to sell his defective product.

Last edited:
fDnDebM.jpg

No amount of voodoo can bring Hoffa Sr. back. Now if we can just get rid of his son maybe the Teamsters can put all that corruption behind them. I wouldn't bet on it though. At least his Daddy stood for something. Jr. is nothing but a POS. He's just a snake oil salesman trying to sell his defective product.

8u4IUMj.jpg

There Jr. is, getting ready to pack up and head to XPO.

Why would we want to join a union that makes less that us? The union offers nothing. Pension? Good luck with getting that. Job security? If a company wants you gone they will find a reason. (Union or not) Today's Teamsters is a joke. The union offers protection to the lazy worker thus hurting the bottom line. That's just one reason why the LTL business is primarily non-union today. The union business model is outdated and not competitive. I would never want to pay dues to an organization that is full of corruption and has sold out it's members. Just go onto the union forums and read the nightmares. No thanks, I'm very happy and proud that we are union free. And if the day ever came that SAIA voted the union in you can better believe it would be my last day. Hoffa and his cronies are just a bunch sell outs that only care about themselves.
You are misinformed.You guys would have a contract bargained for you and voted on by all of you.Your pay would be negotiated as well as benefits and workrules.even rules for lytx dash cam functions.The only reason YRC pays less is because the prior president of the company(bill Zollars)extended the company into a bad credit situation.His vision was for the company to be the largest ltl and worldwide shipper.Instead of closing the doors the union managed to negotiate a deal to help the company gain financial footing and keep all the guys and gals employed.Basically Zollars spent way too much money and then the economy collapsing didn't help.We are at top pay minus 15%

You are misinformed.You guys would have a contract bargained for you and voted on by all of you.Your pay would be negotiated as well as benefits and workrules.even rules for lytx dash cam functions.The only reason YRC pays less is because the prior president of the company(bill Zollars)extended the company into a bad credit situation.His vision was for the company to be the largest ltl and worldwide shipper.Instead of closing the doors the union managed to negotiate a deal to help the company gain financial footing and keep all the guys and gals employed.Basically Zollars spent way too much money and then the economy collapsing didn't help.We are at top pay minus 15%
A contract like XPO and FedEx has received? It will never happen their and it will never happen here. It's nothing more than a dream. Pure fantasy. The Teamsters have been exposed for what they are. A corrupt organization who's glory days have come and gone. Never to return.

A contract like XPO and FedEx has received? It will never happen their and it will never happen here. It's nothing more than a dream. Pure fantasy. The Teamsters have been exposed for what they are. A corrupt organization who's glory days have come and gone. Never to return.
Because you say so Train?The facts of what is bargained for would be open for review to all those who are potential voters.If all the voters vote an agreement down then back to negotiations again.Of course Train you're in mgmt so you wouldn't have a say.Not arguing or bashing.

Why would we want to join a union that makes less that us? The union offers nothing. Pension? Good luck with getting that. Job security? If a company wants you gone they will find a reason. (Union or not) Today's Teamsters is a joke. The union offers protection to the lazy worker thus hurting the bottom line. That's just one reason why the LTL business is primarily non-union today. The union business model is outdated and not competitive. I would never want to pay dues to an organization that is full of corruption and has sold out it's members. Just go onto the union forums and read the nightmares. No thanks, I'm very happy and proud that we are union free. And if the day ever came that SAIA voted the union in you can better believe it would be my last day. Hoffa and his cronies are just a bunch sell outs that only care about themselves.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/894405/000110465918023935/a18-10076_18k.htm

Good grief dude, can't you come up with something more than the sheep analogy. Look what's going on at FedEx. Do you think they will ever get a contract? Do you not understand that if Fred let that happen the rest would fall like dominos. The Teamsters will never gain another major LTL Player. NEVER!!!! Because they have a defective business model that takes the flexibility out of LTL companies. To be competitive in today's market you can't have restrictive work rules based solely on seniority. Been doing this since I was 18 and I'm 60 now. 42 years doing just about everything you can do in this business. Move on.
Click on ..... Summary of key provisions of the tentative contract. It's highlighted in blue. When the Local 745 comes calling again as they always do about once a year it might pay you to remember this pathetic proposal. ABF is ****ed

Last edited: