SAIA | Weekend runs

PistonRing83

TB Veteran
Credits
What's the policy on weekend runs? I'm a system driver and they keep putting me on a Sunday night preset run. I don't mind the extra money but working 6 days a week is getting old. I thought you had to volunteer for weekends and couldn't be forced?

When i was in the system I was always told i had to be ready to run on my reset. If they do not have enough volenteers to cover weekend runs then they will put a system driver on the run. I was always getting called out on sunday nights also. System is good money , but terrible home time usually. Have a schedule now , but i still hear the system drivers complain about how they are ran, so nothing has changed there. They really do need to figure out a better way to schedule system drivers instead of telling them " be ready on your 34 ". Sorry i went on a rant about the system, but yeah they can put you on a run if they have no other way to cover it.

the TM might be putting you on call to keep from making city drivers run on the weekend. I know this happened in GVL . if this is a every Sunday run then they need to put a bid driver on it.

When I was system driver I was never forced on Sunday night run. Unless I was on call that weekend. If I didn't want to go out I would tell them I drinking cold beer and burning some chickens in the backyard. Now if you off on Friday night that's a different story. They have gave me off on Friday night to cover Sunday night run. But that was years ago.

This is just my guess. The loads that are generated on Friday night/Saturday morning are covered by the on call rotation lists since Central knows what they need to cover. The loads that are generated by the terminals, when they start their Sunday loading shifts or loads that have been stranded are unknown and are too late to cover using the on call lists plus the fact that using bid drivers on a late basis may screw up the bid schedule for the coming week. Central controls the system guys, so its easier to contact them and arrange the schedule. If you work out of a big terminal, you might chat with your onsite Central dispatcher and see what's what.

Won't they just say the next guy hired your shift is sunday-thurs if they having loads needing run on Sunday nite and in coming guy might not mind having Friday and Saturday off

C'mon guys...where are the guys who can only talk about how great Saia is and how you should all be thankful to be working there, without any complaint or intrusion on your personal time? This kind of thing is only going to get worse, so get used to it. BTW...I would advise against calling CD on your own. Get a grumpy dispatcher and watch your runs disappear...

C'mon guys...where are the guys who can only talk about how great Saia is and how you should all be thankful to be working there, without any complaint or intrusion on your personal time? This kind of thing is only going to get worse, so get used to it. BTW...I would advise against calling CD on your own. Get a grumpy dispatcher and watch your runs disappear...
Looks like old buck is still sour it did not work out for him over here ! Only one person in central dispatch I ever got sideways with and they apologized before our conversation was over. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones , but people that actually work here may want advice from people that actually work here. Not a former employee who has a grudge and a lawsuit against the company

I had a choice out of 3 runs but chose to stay in the system. Heck I might stay in hotel 1 or twice a week at the most but mostly I do out and backs and get more miles in system.

I'm in a small terminal. We only have 4 scheduled line drivers and 1 system driver (me). Our terminal manager manages this terminal and 3 others. He hasn't even been to the terminal in close to 2 months.

When I agreed to transfer from city to system, nothing was ever said about working Sundays. I did the first couple months without complaining because the money is nice, but now it's getting old. The old system driver never ran weekends, either.

What? You mean they didn't "communicate" with you and give full disclosure BEFORE you changed job titles? Wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. I'll be interested to see how it's resolved, but I've got an inkling...

Better bring litigation on them for not giving full disclosure. And then become a sour ex employee and jump on when someone posts something negative !

Gotta fight for your rights, because no one else will. Sexual harassment is a crime in this country. Do your research before spouting off.