FedEx Freight | Welcome Watkins Employees

Bri570 said:
Well I work for Watkins well now FedEx National LTL and we get paid every two weeks which I hate! I hope they switch us to weekly ASAP! That will be a another of the many pluses I see in the future!

The main thing is you now have much better job security, in this day and age in trucking, you are good enough to be bought by the big dogs or you will fall to the side

in ten years there will be 4 companies dominating the USA Market for freight...

FEDEX YRC DHL & UPS

If you are not bought by one of these , you won't be able to compete.

Watch and see

Only thing I am worried about now is i am the reigonal dispatcher at my terminal and they say that we are going to be only long haul 3 day and greater lanes. Sounds like they may not need me as regional dipatcher anymore..Actually I would love to transfer to the FedEx freight divison because their terminal is a few miles closer to my home.

They say we will bet getting aplications sent to us in the mail for legal reasons to put in our employment files. What do I do just put something on there that i want to transfer to the freight division? Also do us dispatchers get uniforms with fedex?

We have uniforms , red shirts for supers.
As far as a transfer you might want to go to the frt center and talk to the CCM before you do that on the aplicatoin they send to you .
Just my thoughts ........
Smokestack / FXFE

benefits

does anyone know what a west coast watkins contractor would get in the way of benefits (vacation time, pay) when all these changes take place?

Jeff said:
FEDEX YRC DHL & UPS

If you are not bought by one of these , you won't be able to compete.

Watch and see

Well, it depends on what you mean by compete. Technically, Watkins couldn't compete with any number of companies now, and yet they have a going concern with dedicated employees, as you have seen. Just as a mom and pop type store can compete with Wal-Mart by choosing their products carefully and giving excellent service, a trucking company can find a niche in which it can be very successful. To some extent, that's how Watkins got where it is today, and why there will always be concerns about corporate decisions.

But we shall see how it goes.

Bri570 said:
Does fedex paychecks come biweekly or weekly??

One thing I noticed is that when everything changed to FedEx, really nothing changed. Our Viking counterparts were paid every two weeks and continue to be, while we were paid weekly and still are.

roog

Talk to the Ground Dudes....

grelly said:
does anyone know what a west coast watkins contractor would get in the way of benefits (vacation time, pay) when all these changes take place?
You might want to talk to the Fedex Ground Dudes... i don't think they get much, if anything in the way of benefits... they get uniforms though

roogie said:
One thing I noticed is that when everything changed to FedEx, really nothing changed. Our Viking counterparts were paid every two weeks and continue to be, while we were paid weekly and still are.

roog
One of my best friends is with FXF formerly Viking and he gets paid every week. Thats the trouble with these big outfits it hard to keep up with what's going on. lol

Smokestack said:
We have uniforms , red shirts for supers.

They are taking the Sups out of the red shirts and putting them in regular uniforms now. Don't want them to stand out and be different. :biglaugh:

Just wondern' though . . . does National work the dock? Or will that privilege :biglaugh: remain only for East drivers?

:moped:

if i'm being converted over to a fedex national driver from watkins what can i expect in the way of vacation and benefits in general?

ls57racer said:
One of my best friends is with FXF formerly Viking and he gets paid every week. Thats the trouble with these big outfits it hard to keep up with what's going on. lol

We here on the west coast started getting paid every week as of last May.

Does anyone know who the insurance company is that provides fed ex employees their Insurance? Watkins used Aetna,and our hospital and doctors didnt use them.We have been up the creek and hope fedex doesnt usa Aetna

Here in the east, it is First Source. It is not Aetna. It has worked fairly well for us so far. I don't think any insurance is perfect.....

Familyman said:
It varies from state to state, in MO they use healthlink.

FM

yep, and in some cases city to city. Hey, they've got folks who's mission in life is health insurance. I'm not going to say they do a great job or that things couldn't be better, but, I do think they try to do the best they can in a field that dang neart takes a MBA just to answer the phone. Its some real crazy stuff to be sure.

freight is self insured on the health and dental side. we do use PPO's in each state. here in TN we use THC. we do pay premiums and thats based off your pick of deductable, out of pocket, co pay, prescription...etc. insurance has gone up across the country and we tend not to pay attention to what a company does for us other than our take home pay each week, and we are never happy with that either.