TForce | Well I'm off this week for train the trainer.

Skeeter said:
I also went through the training. Being a road driver I was off my run all last week going out on routes with different drivers that had a preventable accident. As far the pay they pay the difference in pay that I miss not being on the road. That way a road driver doesn't get shorted any pay.

I had a pretty good time and explained to the driver I wasn't out to get him but only help him. We went though the space and visibility. I help him get the freight off and we had a nice lunch. Now, I think other drivers are looking forward to me helping them. I mean riding along with them. LOL!
How does this work, Are you in the city all week while training? (day shift) one week and then back on your schedule. Are their more than one trainers per terminal?

BusterNite said:
How does this work, Are you in the city all week while training? (day shift) one week and then back on your schedule. Are their more than one trainers per terminal?

Yes, I stay on the same shift all week. Take applicants out on road test. If I go out with a city driver I'm with him all day.

UPSF still is working on the format we will be using for the Smith Trainning. There are two trainers at my location. I think one at every terminal.

I guess UPS is pretty serious on this safety program.

Skeeter said:
Yes, I stay on the same shift all week. Take applicants out on road test. If I go out with a city driver I'm with him all day.

UPSF still is working on the format we will be using for the Smith Trainning. There are two trainers at my location. I think one at every terminal.

I guess UPS is pretty serious on this safety program.
Safety is a good thing! Thanks for the Info.

I pretty much go over the space and visibility with them after they see the video.

Eye lead time following distance. Making a point of decision when entering a intersection. Seeing the big picture on and on. It is pretty good if a driver really wants to be a better driver.

There is 5 keys you go over with the driver. After a while I stop and just watch.

The two drivers I went out with were very good drivers. I guess I'm thankful for that. LOL!

I also make sure they know I'm not trying to find fault with them I can report. Just going over what I'm suppose to be training them in.

Skeeter said:
I pretty much go over the space and visibility with them after they see the video.

Eye lead time following distance. Making a point of decision when entering a intersection. Seeing the big picture on and on. It is pretty good if a driver really wants to be a better driver.

There is 5 keys you go over with the driver. After a while I stop and just watch.

The two drivers I went out with were very good drivers. I guess I'm thankful for that. LOL!
Skeeter, will this training be for all employee's. Or just new hires.

I was told by next year all UPS Freight drivers have to be..

recertified by their in house terminal trainer.
A one day ride along.
With a paper report filled out,with good or bad driving habits.

I hope by the time all my co-workers have to go through this ride along,I can file a very good report for everyone.

I got this stuck on me not my choice.
I'll do the best I can with it.
I'm not looking to make any enemies.

As I'm just one UPS Freight employee doing what UPS wants.

Safety has always been a big issue in trucking.

The last union company I worked for that went belly up,was self insured.

A driver from Richmond was heading back down south with a Ford twin screw,and a loaded 45 foot trailer,from our Rochester, N.Y. terminal,in a winter snow storm.

Just south of Rochester on our expressway he was in a white out blowing across the airport.
He took out 5 cars killing one person,with many other injuries.
He was ok,but admitted he was going to fast for the road condition.

This accident cost 5 million plus.

Deep freight discounts after deregulation,and accidents like this I can see why Hall's Motor Transit is no longer in business.

BusterNite said:
And why do we allow drivers to work the dock? I think this would be a good saftey lesson for the company. Maybe they should start following these drivers when they leave their mini hubs. Try to pass some of these drivers after they have worked the mini hub, Thats a saftey lesson in it self. The bottom line is, We wan't you to do what ever it takes to make us a profit, But don't wreck anything, You will be held accountable.
If you try to pass me as I'm headed home....You better do it quick.....Cause only half the brain and one eye is working....I have never had my a$$ feel so kicked but hey I am making money no need to live to seeit used.....ANd yes I stop and sleep every night....just another hour away from my family.....LOVIN LIFE and cherishing the weekend