FedEx Freight | West coast wagons.....

WornOut

TB Lurker
Credits
Has anybody pulled a swing door trailer?, Ive seen them in pictures, but none have made it our center yet. I like swing doors, cause most of them arent raggedy enough like OH doors that are bad , they can make you hurt your back really fast, and its hell to fight one all day long in the city. Also, you can open one side and deliver freight, and mainly, you can leave them open and not know it, I had one open up on me, cause the latch panel broke in route....I pulled up to the dock, and all the guys were looking at me back in, I knew what happened. Im really paranoid ever since this happened to me:.....
A driver had a hazmat spill in route, I was ops Mgr at the time for SAIA (yuk), he called in and I ran out to the dock to throw some oil sorb on a trailer to go meet him. I closed the door, and ran to a tractor to go meet him. I pulled around the dock and hooked up to the trailer right next to the one with the oil sorb, and,....a closed door. A driver on the dock stood right at the back of the trailer that I hooked up to, which had a full load of big room air conditioners loaded right to the back with them two high right at the door. He didnt say a word....why I dont know...... I took off hauling butt with the door open and those ac's bouncing right on the back....No one said a word...our terminal was right off the freeway, so I jumped right on and stepped on the gas....About a half mile down , I saw a van following me close then pulled up slowly, I felt a bad sinking feeling in my gut. He pulls up and yells, " you dropped a box!" Oh no....I knew that I closed that door, and I was pulling an "empty". My heart dropped.... sure enough, I pulled over and ran to the back, where that load of AC's was staring at me....minus one , of course. Long story short, I closed it and made it to the driver, came back, and the police had already called, and the guy who hit the AC was already heading to the body shop. No ticket, but I couldnt get that out of my head for years.....

You failed to follow a lot of rules and procedures. At the dock the last thing you do before pulling a trailer is to remove the wheel chock and check the door. All loaded trailers are to be locked or sealed while in route. Please, no swing doors!!!

Any photos of Viking swing door trailers are really really old. We got rid of the last ones around 1995. There won't be anymore, I know, never say never. They were for a truckload division the lasted a few years and when that was shut down they used them for ltl until they wore out.

Man when I was running the city,,, I felt bad for those abf and such drivers who had swing doors... I know there is alot more to go wrong with roll up,,, but,,, its the only way to go with 30+ stops a day...

Yea you really don't want a swing door with 20-30 stops a day . Half the problem is when the dock workers load a trailer for a city run they don't open and close the door so the end result is a driver that has a bad shoulder problem no skin off the dock workers back.

A bad roll up door can be a pain but a swing door that doesnt close properly can be worse. We have some swing door vans (used for swaps and vol. loads) but please dont tell me your talking about pups.