XPO | Wether

Again you missed the point, there was no better equipment,it was out job, people need stuff! We did it, no whining? Forget I said anything! Just do what you feel you have to. But don't complain about your compansation package! It reflects the repaonsibility of the person. I will just sit in my retirement chair and see how not only this industry changed but our society! I am done commenting about any of this b.s.; because the millenniums and gen x's just don't get it! Have a wonderful holiday season! And do what you have to do. I am out of it! I would say keep on trucking, but that is the mentality of years ago! I will say, tuck when the situation suits you ! ( because that is what most believe today)

I get what you are saying. Times have changed. Attitudes have changed. There is no country for old men.

Minot , ND - Does anybody remember when money was being offered to go work there? I asked because it popped up on the news: Iced over roads , cold , snow , snow blowers carve pathways ( damn near tunnels ) through the snow type of place.

I think they offered $10,000 to go to a North Dakota town further north than Minneapolis , Detroit ( hell - ALL of Michigan ) , Chicago , Montreal , Toronto , Ottawa, and Quebec City. I wonder who took that deal?

Minot , ND - Does anybody remember when money was being offered to go work there? I asked because it popped up on the news: Iced over roads , cold , snow , snow blowers carve pathways ( damn near tunnels ) through the snow type of place.

I think they offered $10,000 to go to a North Dakota town further north than Minneapolis , Detroit ( hell - ALL of Michigan ) , Chicago , Montreal , Toronto , Ottawa, and Quebec City. I wonder who took that deal?

I don't know of anyone. That's 10 months of winter and 2 months of mud and mosquitoes. Probably great skiing and hunting if you are up for a week. But you gotta figure it's a tough place to live year round.

Minot , ND - Does anybody remember when money was being offered to go work there?

I do- I remember thinking that 10 grand seemed like a really low number to live in Minot for a year.

It wouldn't surprise me if their staffing problems suddenly reversed themselves after the price of oil dropped.

It's hard to explain,,and like the old saying goes,"if I have to explain it you would not understand !". But, I ran in weather years ago that was worse than the weather we have now. Road were closed,we went through, slow, yes a negative cash flow, but the freight had to be delivered! I am not trying to get into a pissing contest. But a man needs to know their limitations. And my mind set was, whatever I was dealt I did it,that was my job. Bad weather, I slowed down,,really slowed down, never gave up. And like I said; was paid very well! All i was saying; if a person is going to turn ran run with their tail between their legs under the false pretense of saving lives or coming home to the love ones. Then maybe that person should find a different occupation. I enjoyed driving. Had 40 years of no accidents all weather and running the upper Midwest. And yes now I am opening myself up for the backlash of all "the professionals" but I do not expect anyone to be put in the catagory of us older hands until they've driven the way of the past. Plus our equipment did not have all the bells and whistles the modern trucker enjoys.

If being smart and staying out of harm's way and keeping myself or someone else alive is being a chicken, then bring on the feathers. This is a JOB. Nothing more. That freight does nobody any good strewn out in the median because of an accident, and it definitely does nobody any good rolled up on top of someone else's vehicle killing them and possibly me. My father has been on the road since 1963 and would be the first to tell you that when the road gets bad the only place you need to be is NOT ON IT. I get a kick out of some of you old timers who think that just because guys like me didn't have to put up with the hard to handle equipment and bullshit mentality that a driver isn't worth two nickels aren't "real professionals". It's a different era. I'm not going to jeopardize my life, someone else's life, and my future earnings potential just to look tough. That's stupid.

INFO: Winter weather may delay

FAC Closed – All closed FACs will tentatively run on 1/8 and will be confirmed on 1/7

NBM

BIRMINGHAM, AL

NMP

MEMPHIS, TN

XCA

CHARLESTON, WV

NKX

KNOXVILLE, TN

NAT

ATLANTA, GA

NCH

CHARLOTTE, NC

NRM

RICHMOND, VA

NNA

NASHVILLE, TN

Limited FAC

LJS

JACKSON, MS

Closed Linehaul

NHB

HUMBOLDT, TN

NTR

TRI CITIES, TN

NAV

ASHEVILLE, NC

NCT

CHATTANOOGA, TN

NRG

ROME, GA

NNW

NEWNAN GA

NMA

MACON GA

NAG

AUGUSTA , SC

NNC

NORCROSS GA

NCO

COLUMBIA, SC

NNF

NORFOLK, VA

NHN

HICKORY, NC

NWN

WINSTON-SALEM, NC

NRD

RALEIGH, NC

NIL

WILSON, NC

NLB

LUMBERTON, NC

NGV

GREENVILLE, SC

NBM

BIRMINGHAM, AL

NMP

MEMPHIS, TN

NNA

NASHVILLE, TN

XCA

CHARLESTON, WV

NCS

CHARLESTON, SC

NCH

CHARLOTTE, NC

NRM

RICHMOND, VA

Limited Linehaul

NDE

DECATUR, AL

NGS

GADSDEN, AL

LTE

TUPELO, MS

NSA

SAVANNAH, GA

NRO

ROANOKE, VA

NWY

WYTHEVILLE, VA

NKX

KNOXVILLE, TN

NAT

ATLANTA, GA

LJS

JACKSON, MS

Song, I am surprised at you "new guys" as this "fruitcake" calls you for letting him
pull your chain.
I don't think he is no more truck driver than I am a Mig 15 pilot, don't think a real driver
would have a name like that.
I drove back in those hard times,we had KB 11 IHCs with no heaters about half with TS,
mirrors the size of jar lids, I could go on and on about bad equipment and hard times.
But they were really the golden and best years of trucking.
We ran bad roads, had no interstates, Jellico Mt, Mount Eagle,Hickory Nut Gorge and the
real Fancy Gap,but they were no worse than what you guys run today, we had no 50 or
75 car pileups on the turn pikes like today.
Never had a dispatcher tell me I could not tie down, you used your own judgement,got paid for
every hour I claimed in bed.
This guy says he is "old school" drove 41 yrs retired 2 yrs ago,doesn't qualify as old school
to me.
I started with Ryder Truck Lines in 1955, they became PIE Nationwide, I stayed with them
until they folded in 1990 and retired, never had but one job.
Not for one minute do I think my job was harder than yours today with all the traffic, elogs
cameras, P&D,dock work, in 35yrs I can count on one hand the times I touched a piece of freight.
I have a 3 million mile safe driving award and not for being a hero, if the conditions were too bad
I found a place to park.
This clown is pulling your leg,vacuum wsw were gone in 55 long before he started.
When you lost your air they came to a stop at 60lbs just like today.
He needs to get a copy of "Wheels Of Time" read about old trucks and hard times.
May feel better if he changed his handle

If being smart and staying out of harm's way and keeping myself or someone else alive is being a chicken, then bring on the feathers. This is a JOB. Nothing more. That freight does nobody any good strewn out in the median because of an accident, and it definitely does nobody any good rolled up on top of someone else's vehicle killing them and possibly me. My father has been on the road since 1963 and would be the first to tell you that when the road gets bad the only place you need to be is NOT ON IT. I get a kick out of some of you old timers who think that just because guys like me didn't have to put up with the hard to handle equipment and :horseshit: mentality that a driver isn't worth two nickels aren't "real professionals". It's a different era. I'm not going to jeopardize my life, someone else's life, and my future earnings potential just to look tough. That's stupid.
Great post, song! You are RIGHT ON the money with that one. I remember a time a while back that I called off a couple of nights due to icy, snowy roads. I had an overnight run of 250 miles round trip, and I was lucky to finally hear the end of the crap I got from co-workers about calling off...basically got told I wasn't a 'real driver' from a (formerly) close friend. I finally told him to kiss my 'poop chute' and reminded him that 'heroics' don't impress anybody, they just get people hurt, or killed.

INFO: Winter weather may delay

FAC Closed – All closed FACs will tentatively run on 1/8 and will be confirmed on 1/7

NBM

BIRMINGHAM, AL

NMP

MEMPHIS, TN

XCA

CHARLESTON, WV

NKX

KNOXVILLE, TN

NAT

ATLANTA, GA

NCH

CHARLOTTE, NC

NRM

RICHMOND, VA

NNA

NASHVILLE, TN

Limited FAC

LJS

JACKSON, MS

Closed Linehaul

NHB

HUMBOLDT, TN

NTR

TRI CITIES, TN

NAV

ASHEVILLE, NC

NCT

CHATTANOOGA, TN

NRG

ROME, GA

NNW

NEWNAN GA

NMA

MACON GA

NAG

AUGUSTA , SC

NNC

NORCROSS GA

NCO

COLUMBIA, SC

NNF

NORFOLK, VA

NHN

HICKORY, NC

NWN

WINSTON-SALEM, NC

NRD

RALEIGH, NC

NIL

WILSON, NC

NLB

LUMBERTON, NC

NGV

GREENVILLE, SC

NBM

BIRMINGHAM, AL

NMP

MEMPHIS, TN

NNA

NASHVILLE, TN

XCA

CHARLESTON, WV

NCS

CHARLESTON, SC

NCH

CHARLOTTE, NC

NRM

RICHMOND, VA

Limited Linehaul

NDE

DECATUR, AL

NGS

GADSDEN, AL

LTE

TUPELO, MS

NSA

SAVANNAH, GA

NRO

ROANOKE, VA

NWY

WYTHEVILLE, VA

NKX

KNOXVILLE, TN

NAT

ATLANTA, GA

LJS

JACKSON, MS
Did any FAC work on Sunday

Great post, song! You are RIGHT ON the money with that one. I remember a time a while back that I called off a couple of nights due to icy, snowy roads. I had an overnight run of 250 miles round trip, and I was lucky to finally hear the end of the crap I got from co-workers about calling off...basically got told I wasn't a 'real driver' from a (formerly) close friend. I finally told him to kiss my 'poop chute' and reminded him that 'heroics' don't impress anybody, they just get people hurt, or killed.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I love it when folks say "well so-and-so made it" and I quickly point out that I'm not so-and-so. I have no delusions of grandeur, and there's no shame in parking in bad weather.

If being smart and staying out of harm's way and keeping myself or someone else alive is being a chicken, then bring on the feathers. This is a JOB. Nothing more. That freight does nobody any good strewn out in the median because of an accident, and it definitely does nobody any good rolled up on top of someone else's vehicle killing them and possibly me. My father has been on the road since 1963 and would be the first to tell you that when the road gets bad the only place you need to be is NOT ON IT. I get a kick out of some of you old timers who think that just because guys like me didn't have to put up with the hard to handle equipment and :horseshit: mentality that a driver isn't worth two nickels aren't "real professionals". It's a different era. I'm not going to jeopardize my life, someone else's life, and my future earnings potential just to look tough. That's stupid.
So true. It' kind of hard to deliver the freight when the truck and trailer is impounded by DOT in a pending investigation

You KNOW an ice storm is coming yet you run operations the night before to areas with no changes based on knowledge of pending bad conditions.

This may have changed since I left work but , there was plenty of advanced warning and at that time no changes were planned. I hope for common sense sake , and safety sake , good decisions are made to minimize the risk to drivers.

You KNOW an ice storm is coming yet you run operations the night before to areas with no changes based on knowledge of pending bad conditions.

This may have changed since I left work but , there was plenty of advanced warning and at that time no changes were planned. I hope for common sense sake , and safety sake , good decisions are made to minimize the risk to drivers.
Ideally, yes. We HOPE good decisions are made regarding bad-weather operations. But the sad reality is...

I prefer to be 'late & alive than early & dead'. von.

Song, I am surprised at you "new guys" as this "fruitcake" calls you for letting him
pull your chain.
I don't think he is no more truck driver than I am a Mig 15 pilot, don't think a real driver
would have a name like that.
I drove back in those hard times,we had KB 11 IHCs with no heaters about half with TS,
mirrors the size of jar lids, I could go on and on about bad equipment and hard times.
But they were really the golden and best years of trucking.
We ran bad roads, had no interstates, Jellico Mt, Mount Eagle,Hickory Nut Gorge and the
real Fancy Gap,but they were no worse than what you guys run today, we had no 50 or
75 car pileups on the turn pikes like today.
Never had a dispatcher tell me I could not tie down, you used your own judgement,got paid for
every hour I claimed in bed.
This guy says he is "old school" drove 41 yrs retired 2 yrs ago,doesn't qualify as old school
to me.
I started with Ryder Truck Lines in 1955, they became PIE Nationwide, I stayed with them
until they folded in 1990 and retired, never had but one job.
Not for one minute do I think my job was harder than yours today with all the traffic, elogs
cameras, P&D,dock work, in 35yrs I can count on one hand the times I touched a piece of freight.
I have a 3 million mile safe driving award and not for being a hero, if the conditions were too bad
I found a place to park.
This clown is pulling your leg,vacuum wsw were gone in 55 long before he started.
When you lost your air they came to a stop at 60lbs just like today.
He needs to get a copy of "Wheels Of Time" read about old trucks and hard times.
May feel better if he changed his handle

Thank you for the dose of reality. Many of us didn't drive back in the Flintstone days and have no idea how things were or weren't.