TForce | What a difference a buyout makes.

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
After all the hair pulling, It becomes clear that UPS propped the door open for the Teamsters.

Teamsters End 3-Year Strike Against Trucker Without Contract <--Don't worry guys/gals this is old stuff!!

I was searching the internet for any &quot;O&quot; history and came up on this. I vaguely remember this happening while I was working at another LTL company.

Anyone have interesting Overnite history or links to share?

I was working at SOH when that was going on, I remember the Teamsters in front of my terminal every day when I went to work. Then some other dock workers and myself went to other terminals to work the dock. So we crossed Teamster lines in 4 different states. Being the all proud Overnite dock worker I left my family for weeks at a time and work the dock at a terminal that had dock workers walk off the dock to fight for a contract that Overnite was never going to even sit at a table. How blind was I, to not see, that Overnite was willing to pay for airline flights and hotels and rental cars for some dock workers just to make a point that if you walk off the dock and stand with the teamsters, we will fly in workers to replace you. I was on a flight from MEM to ATL then to work in MIN when the lights went out in the plane, (some cheap airline to save money) then I said to myself ''they don't care about ''ANYONE'' After a emergency landing at ATL we went home then to MIN. I never once stoped to ask the Teamsters what they had to say I never spoke a word to them, just drove by and went to work. It was not till the day we got bought by UPS I went home and went on-line and found the # to teamsters local 710 in chicago, I told them who I was and said I would like to meet with a teamster to listen to what they had to say. The next day I meet a Teamster from 710 and the first thing I told him was how sorry I was not to even listen to what they had to say. Then I just ask ??'s and heard him out. I have been talking to teamsters ever since,that day sometimes 2 times a day for about the last 3 years. Signing a teamster card was sooo special for me after soo long that same teamster I meet so long ago took my picture when I was signing my card. we have come a long way and I can almost see the end of it.

I was working at SOH when that was going on, I remember the Teamsters in front of my terminal every day when I went to work. Then some other dock workers and myself went to other terminals to work the dock. So we crossed Teamster lines in 4 different states. Being the all proud Overnite dock worker I left my family for weeks at a time and work the dock at a terminal that had dock workers walk off the dock to fight for a contract that Overnite was never going to even sit at a table. How blind was I, to not see, that Overnite was willing to pay for airline flights and hotels and rental cars for some dock workers just to make a point that if you walk off the dock and stand with the teamsters, we will fly in workers to replace you. I was on a flight from MEM to ATL then to work in MIN when the lights went out in the plane, (some cheap airline to save money) then I said to myself ''they don't care about ''ANYONE'' After a emergency landing at ATL we went home then to MIN. I never once stoped to ask the Teamsters what they had to say I never spoke a word to them, just drove by and went to work. It was not till the day we got bought by UPS I went home and went on-line and found the # to teamsters local 710 in chicago, I told them who I was and said I would like to meet with a teamster to listen to what they had to say. The next day I meet a Teamster from 710 and the first thing I told him was how sorry I was not to even listen to what they had to say. Then I just ask ??'s and heard him out. I have been talking to teamsters ever since,that day sometimes 2 times a day for about the last 3 years. Signing a teamster card was sooo special for me after soo long that same teamster I meet so long ago took my picture when I was signing my card. we have come a long way and I can almost see the end of it.

Very cool story mud-flap! What got me interested in searching the history of &quot;O&quot; was the fact that management keeps preaching, &quot;This is no longer &quot;Overnite&quot;
I hear fear in their tone when they say that.

lol I allways say SOH's gloves came off when the Overnite sign was taken down. And the UPS flag was run up the flag pole out front. yup gloves came off and claws came out and SOH managment showed thier FANGS and came out after us with hate and rage,, and alot of good workers where taken out.

So you were one of the many ***** that crossed the line while I was on strike. Only trying to make our life and our families life better. Thank you for all the added hardship you helped create by crossing the line and extending our strike. After the strike ended and my stint with several teamster companies closing, I ended any connections I will ever have with the union. I hope you never have to endure what we went through. Thanks again...

Mud-Flap.............Any response???

well I can say I just did not know what was really going on I was just doing what I was told was right for the company. I am very sorry for being so for the company that I did not realize who I was affecting. You can hate me and bash me on the boards but thanks to a teamster from my local I know more now, I signed a card and I am helping the local all I can to have a successful card check at my terminal.

So you were one of the many ***** that crossed the line while I was on strike. Only trying to make our life and our families life better. Thank you for all the added hardship you helped create by crossing the line and extending our strike. After the strike ended and my stint with several teamster companies closing, I ended any connections I will ever have with the union. I hope you never have to endure what we went through. Thanks again...

Its no secret that &quot;O&quot; was one of the most anti union company's out there. This was long ago and there were many hardships on both sides of the fence. Its a new company and a new beginning. Its time to let go and move on to a bigger and better union.

well I can say I just did not know what was really going on I was just doing what I was told was right for the company. I am very sorry for being so for the company that I did not realize who I was affecting. You can hate me and bash me on the boards but thanks to a teamster from my local I know more now, I signed a card and I am helping the local all I can to have a successful card check at my terminal.

Good post.:1036316054:
I agree that sometimes.......it's not peoples time to understand. I can relate to mud-flaps reply.

I've read so much information and praise on the director and the producer of that HBO special that I really want to watch that documentary.

Its no secret that &quot;O&quot; was one of the most anti union company's out there. This was long ago and there were many hardships on both sides of the fence. Its a new company and a new beginning. Its time to let go and move on to a bigger and better union.

Exactly! I never intended for this post to bring out any bad sentiments. I know this was a very trying time for the senior guys.

Another thing that sparked my interest in starting this topic.
Terminal manager said,&quot;In regards to unionization, it's the employees choice and this time around guys, it will not be like the last time with Overnite&quot; &quot;This is UPS&quot;
I came to the conclusion that he knew as well as I did, that UPS is allowing the teamsters to come and get us without any resistance.

Mud Flap you do not owe anyone anything, You did what you felt was right at the time. Let us not forget that they came out and said &quot;We will shut Overnite down&quot; &quot; There is no way they last more than 3 weeks&quot; Well when they did that it brought us together like nothing before. Pay close attention to the movie , In the beginning the room was full , They were all drinking Union Kool-Aid, And in the end there was just a handful of supporters left. One individual said &quot;If we would have burnt the first truck no one else would have crossed&quot; Love the comaraderie!I did my time, We all did what we felt we had to do to make sure we had a future.Peace Out:smilie_132:

Dammit! I want to see the documentary!!

I agree with your post Johnny Big Rig.:1036316054:
Violence and Coercion only keeps sides divided and solidify the bond between each side.

A teamster and a manager told me it was ugly.
Innocent people trying hard not to disrupt their American dream of just being able to work.

Give it up, man. I personally never want to hear any of this crap again. What's going on now has nothing to do with what happened then.

So how does walking off of a job make your life and your family's life better? Who's going to pay my mortgage should there be a next time? Can we move in with you? I didn't think so.

You have to pick your battles and you have to size up your opponent. You overestimated your strike and you lost. Don't make it my fault or anyone else's. You took a gamble that others were willing to take. Just because you don't agree with their decision doesn't make them wrong. They did what was right for them.

Maybe you should have sized up the situation a little better...

I may be 100% for the union now. But I have no regrets being on Overnite's side against the union. Would still feel the same way if we were Overnite. But we are UPS now and from what I have seen so far we need the union.:chairshot: