TForce | What a difference a buyout makes.

well I can say I just did not know what was really going on I was just doing what I was told was right for the company. I am very sorry for being so for the company that I did not realize who I was affecting. You can hate me and bash me on the boards but thanks to a teamster from my local I know more now, I signed a card and I am helping the local all I can to have a successful card check at my terminal.

You sound like a better teamster than some of my co-workers at Yellow. Glad to have you for a brother.

I believe history and studying history helps build our future. We learn what not to do and what to do because of history.
The study of History both good and bad helps us to try and reach Utopia.

When you read this post it will already be history.
If you reply to this post than you obviously paid attention to what happened in the past.

I'm 39 and was always told that in history class. I never believed it, who would be stupid enough to repeat that? And then it happened. Doh!!!!

CASE CLOSED on this Documentary

An anonymous source has provided me with this DVD. I give this person total credit for this hard to find video. If you can get your hands on it, I encourage anyone to see the trials and tribulations of being an Overnite employee during that time.

After watching this powerful eye opening video. I hated the Teamster tactics back than and they deserved to lose this strike. Not many Teamster reps were well educated in terms of conveying information. Too many short fused reps that nearly picked fights with the non-union supporters.
I don't see the harsh tactics as much, which is a good way to do business.

I now believe UPS opened the door for us to go Union this time around, so it was basically not a long time coming for the Teamsters. Had it still been Overnite, they still would go Union, let alone close it's doors in this economy and competitive LTL world.

On a side note: I see some of those duct tape tractors at my barn. I can't believe how they shuffled some of them around in the system.

Tell me again, why the people at the picket line were throwing pieces of bricks and spitting on the shuttle van in Indy and Cincinati?

The only thing I could think of was coercion, bullying and some down right immature tactics.
This was a botched strike that came down to who had deeper pockets.

What a great movie this was. I wonder what happened to the only woman driver out of the Chicago area. She was a tough cookie.

We were given those DVD's right after the buyout.

I saw that video 2 weeks ago. It's not the same one.
That one was more Overnite mentality propaganda, where the HBO version showed both sides. When you look back at the Overnite mentality version, it really made all those people look stupid.
The sign was on the wall. UPS opened the door for us this time around.

eddy... please!

Regardless of who You talk to... or who You hear the stories from...

Their situation was worst then the next man's account of what really happened!

Bottom line is this:

There were mistakes made on both fronts!

The Teamsters called a nation wide strike with only half the workforce - signing cards...

Apparently going with the 50% plus (1) - mentality...

That's why they wanted more this time around...

And those that did participate in the strike - totally understood the necessity of Overnite Transportation being held accountable for their deceptive, manipulative and arrogant practices...

Zero Tolerance! (give Me a freaking break... how could one create a better future - when You were going to get punched in the face with this one policy... each and every time that You spoke?)

These strikers gave all... giving up Weeks, Months and Years of non recoupable salaries... towards an effort that was hyped and guaranteed prematurely!

I wonder now how many of Us (with a contract in place) would even give up a day's pay to challenge and fight for something that We truly believe needed to be changed or modified for the betterment of all of Our future (s)...

I'm not so sure that Overnite would had dumped a million dollars a day into fighting off the teamsters - had a film of the whole event not have been recording!

I don't fault the strikers!

I fault Overnite Transportation for what they did to combat the effort!

I fault the legal system for being the way it is!

Put it into the courts and the situation will fizzle itself - by itself... over time... or until the challenger ran out of money!

I fault the Teamsters for going in - under estimating their opponent!

Just like now... If the teamsters would just listen and absorb what is being communicated to them (by Us) then perhaps they would better understand their opponent and be a little more prepared to make a stand against a monster that has already reared it's ugly head!

Our union officials as well as the UPS labor relation managers put in place to decipher all differences don't truly understand that it is not UPS that We (the workforce) is challenging... but, the managers and supervisor left-over’s from Overnite Transportation!

Take a look at the 2006 Policy Book - for instance...

It isn't written by UPS - it's a carbon copy of the previous Overnite Transportation policy (s)...

UPS purchased Overnite Transportation - because they were convinced that We wouldn't organize... based on the previous decisive loss!

What UPS didn't realize was: the control that management was able to achieve through their questionable and often times untraceable practices towards Us (the employees)...

This is what UPS Labor Relation Managers are not able to figure out...

And why everything is going to staying the same - and will remain the same until they (the leftovers) go away!

What UPS didn't realize was: the control that management was able to achieve through their questionable and often times untraceable practices towards Us (the employees)...

This is what UPS Labor Relation Managers are not able to figure out...

And why everything is going to staying the same - and will remain the same until they (the leftovers) go away!

:thumbsup: I agree.
I came on board long after the strike. I am still amazed at some of the horror stories my coworkers tell me about this standoff. Some took it the distance, some had no choice but to cross the line, some lost their assets and marriage. It was a true test of fortitude.

Sometimes I wonder why a contract was not obtained from one of those hardcore terminals in the documentary. I don't recall seeing Indy in that terminal. Maybe they were one of the silent giants.