What a difference a week makes

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
HI guys, well this Monday was a night and day difference from last Monday let me tell you. So today I get to my first stop which is my hardest back in of the week, last week took me 20 minutes this week that time was cut easily in half if not even more then half. Before I knew it I was in the dock and that was that. It's a big time office building dock is in the parking garage you have to back in off the street then back down into the parking garage and then ally dock into the dock. You have polls and heaters along the way and obstacles to watch out for. Anyhow even was in good enough to use the dock plate.

Anyhow this week I started following the trailer early on when it looked right and I got out to take a look and I said keep following you'll make it and I kept following. I did have to do a couple pull up wiggles to get my self fairly square, but it wasn't any kind of super bloodletting or anything like that. Anyhow it worked out pretty well and the rest of the day pretty much was 1-2-3. Can't really say that to often, but today went pretty smoothly all in all.

I'm down town in the big city on Monday so you get a real street level nitty gritty view.

TPANJkt.jpg

1xZat1i.jpg

Yes they are the whole way through no pallet loads here.

YNcjoz7.jpg

IM0M1qK.jpg

This was a Thursday earlier this year I was over 1000 cases. All floor loaded.

Not usually, the left side was more refrigerated and the right side was more dry. There's a bulk head that separates the freezer from the rest of the load. The freezer comes out of the side that's why we have side doors for the freezer.

Not usually, the left side was more refrigerated and the right side was more dry. There's a bulk head that separates the freezer from the rest of the load. The freezer comes out of the side that's why we have side doors for the freezer.
Yes I know the freezer is separated by bulk head and comes out side door almost every where is like that. Just don't see to many floor loads anymore and especially mixing dry and refrigerated. Seems like a health concern to me the dry boxes which have had no pervious sitting on top or right next to a refrigerated product could bring the temp up.

When I was with sysco eastern Maryland they started putting 2 bulkheads in the trailers one like normal separating the freezer. Then they were putting one vertically in the middle between the dry and cooler . The health department had concerns that even dry pallets sitting next to cooler pallets was rising the temp of cooler items to much

Do they floor load the 50' footers too? I don't like the looks of all that stacked to the top of the roof. I thought looking at a 48' footer with 1400 cases looked bad that somehow looks worse lol

Yes I know the freezer is separated by bulk head and comes out side door almost every where is like that. Just don't see to many floor loads anymore and especially mixing dry and refrigerated. Seems like a health concern to me the dry boxes which have had no pervious sitting on top or right next to a refrigerated product could bring the temp up.

When I was with sysco eastern Maryland they started putting 2 bulkheads in the trailers one like normal separating the freezer. Then they were putting one vertically in the middle between the dry and cooler . The health department had concerns that even dry pallets sitting next to cooler pallets was rising the temp of cooler items to much

The whole back of the trailer is set to be refrigerated so the dry stuff is cool as well. That load was an exception usually the trailer isn't loaded that heavy, On a more normal day there are load bars that separate the two zones.

With 50' if it's a volume truck route the load is palatized. If it's a chain route it is probably floor loaded. That's a 28' trailer with 1100 cases in it. Normally the 28' are not loaded like that, that day was not the norm.

With 50' if it's a volume truck route the load is palatized. If it's a chain route it is probably floor loaded. That's a 28' trailer with 1100 cases in it. Normally the 28' are not loaded like that, that day was not the norm.

The trucks that pull the longer trailers from the Springfield warehouse (not sure if there 48's or 50's) run standard deliveries like you do, they are floor loaded unless a stop requires/requests a pallet. My cousin said it's pretty nice most days, he has a similar case count to you and a lot more room, some days he can get through the bulkhead on the 3rd or 4th stop. How much digging do you have to do normally?

When the Pittsburgh warehouse opened up the loads were awful. However they for the most part have cleaned up there act a lot, the amount of digging and looking is nothing really that awful, that's not to say the loads are perfect but like today I had 16 stops 17,000lbs 680 cases for the most part the trailer was loaded pretty good everything rolled off real easy and really was able to cut through the load like a knife through hot butter. The big trailers are 50'.

In the 28' trailers you won't be able to get through the bulk head until the second last stop or last stop sometimes. In the summer on Friday I can't get through the bulk head at all, but like I said that picture up there was a special example it's usually not like that.

For the most part our trailers are set up pretty good the whole back end is cooler so the dry goods stay nice and cool ha-ha! Every case is the same temperature ha-ha!

Wow I now understand why we lost a couple guys to Gordon they were back in 2 weeks. On our trucks 28 ft with 950 cases you can get through all bulkheads by 3 stop with 18 stops. That amount of cases and 5 days would be 1700 a week at Sysco.

The whole back of the trailer is set to be refrigerated so the dry stuff is cool as well. That load was an exception usually the trailer isn't loaded that heavy, On a more normal day there are load bars that separate the two zones.
Yes I understand the entire back is cooled bur it takes quite some time to cool down a dry product that wasn't previously cooled

For the most part our trailers are set up pretty good the whole back end is cooler so the dry goods stay nice and cool ha-ha! Every case is the same temperature ha-ha!
They may feel same temp but they aren't. You ever put a drink in the fridge and see how long it takes to cold? Now take a couple hundred cases and do that. It's gonna take quite some time. And I agree with @2wheeldriver with pallet loads usually through bulk head by at least 4th or 5th stop. I know the Gordons in Aberdeen MD are pallet loads.

Today was about 890 cases they didn't mix any zones or anything like that all separated with load bars did make it through the bulk head on the last stop ha-ha! They loaded it pretty good and it all came off pretty easy.

Wow I now understand why we lost a couple guys to Gordon they were back in 2 weeks. On our trucks 28 ft with 950 cases you can get through all bulkheads by 3 stop with 18 stops. That amount of cases and 5 days would be 1700 a week at Sysco.

It would be close to that at Gordon's too it would depend how many years of service you have because we do get a day rate as well which at top day rate scale would add a good chunk to that plus millage and stop pay would all ad up. A person like me with no seniority would fall short, but someone who's been around a while would be closer. I made like I said $70K last fiscal year, which I didn't think that was all that awful, that number should go up to because day rate increases as years of service increase.

They may feel same temp but they aren't. You ever put a drink in the fridge and see how long it takes to cold? Now take a couple hundred cases and do that. It's gonna take quite some time. And I agree with @2wheeldriver with pallet loads usually through bulk head by at least 4th or 5th stop. I know the Gordons in Aberdeen MD are pallet loads.

Are they really? Wow.

That picture there is not the norm at Gordon's it really isn't that bad trust me, that was an extreme case load normally are trucks are not loaded like that. Usually there's some room on the back end to work. Were just like any where else, sometimes trucks go out loaded to the brim, but other times trucks go out with barely anything on them. Like today they had a little bit on, but it was loaded pretty comfortable really. Actually when done right the floor loading is really not that awful and comes off pretty quick.

Yeah when I started Sysco was floor loaded. MikeJ I am not knocking Gordon by any means. Brother we all have days when we look at the truck and think what in the world was routing thinking.