Yellow | What a Disgrace! Hoffa SHAME ON YOU!

FreightKicker

TB Lurker
Credits
IBT VP Sean O'Brien posted a message last night on the Joint Council 10 Facebook page. The link is below. But for those that don't have a Facebook profile, and so can't see the page where the link leads, I have copied the text and posted it below the link.

https://www.facebook.com/newengland...2950245120527/232245844190966/?type=3&theater

A MESSAGE FROM SEAN O’BRIEN ON THE ABF VOTE

On March 10 ABF Teamsters voted to accept a national contract that settled far short of what could have been achieved in this economic environment. New England Teamsters rejected the contract by a vote of 174-14 and around the country nine regional supplements failed.

Why did these supplements fail? For the first time, the International took the power to negotiate pension and health and welfare rates out of the hands of regional negotiators. In New England, the International failed to even contact our pension fund to find out the funding levels it needed. Never before in freight has a negotiating team not consulted with the pension funds to find out the members’ needs.

The ABF contract offer was so destructive to Teamster pensions that—in an unprecedented move—New England locals petitioned the General Executive Board to pull the offer and send negotiators back to the table before tonight’s vote took place. Unfortunately, 13 of 22 GEB members, including New England’s own International Vice President John Murphy, voted to throw Joint Council 10’s members—and their pensions—under the bus.

But the proposal’s deficiencies go beyond harming the pension fund. The ABF contract fell short on a myriad of issues:

• WAGES: At a time when trucking demand is at an all time high and the industry is suffering from a shortage of qualified drivers, the International only came up with a 1.2 percent raise. That’s nothing compared to the $1.70 we lost the last time Hoffa went to the table. That means after this contract, ABF Teamsters will be back to where they were in 2008.

• SUBCONTRACTING: Nothing was done to stem the tide of Teamster work migrating to subcontractors across the country.

• WEAKENING CONTRACT ENFORCEMENT: By creating an ABF-only grievance panel, this contract allows the company to deadlock every grievance, every time.

• HEALTH CARE LOOPHOLES: Health care is always in the details and this deal allows ABF to make lesser payments to certain funds, which will force benefit cuts.

Working hand-in-hand, ABF, Wall Street and Team Hoffa lobbied hard for a YES vote. They pulled out all the stops by using mail, robocalls and social media and could only manage a partial victory.

I’m proud of the loud message New England Teamsters and those others who voted no sent to Hoffa. We will not accept concessions from a profitable company. And when our national leaders don’t care about our concerns, we will be heard with our votes. We will fight—and fight hard—before we give back what it took generations to earn.

The rank & file vote for the Officials of the IBT. They have voted more than ONCE to be ::shit:: on. Rank & file approved a contract calling for 4 years of work to receive 1 year of full pension credit & 15% less wages. And we call ourselves Teamsters. That is the true disgrace of a union. von.

We have the final say in the vote. Leadership only has the final say if we let them. If no one cares and people don't bother to vote then apathy wins.
In therory, you are correct. Pretty sure the UPS guys would say they didn't get the final say in their last contract when many supplements were rejected but ultimately inplemented anyway.

In therory, you are correct. Pretty sure the UPS guys would say they didn't get the final say in their last contract when many supplements were rejected but ultimately inplemented anyway.

I don't disagree with your comments about the reality of what's going on. In the final picture though, we the membership really do have the ultimate power up to and including decertification of the Union but of course that would probably never happen.

The union members we have an obligation. The obligation is a yes or no vote. We could rally the base at your terminal and send Hoffa and his cronies a message. I am not a rocket scientist but I could see Hoffa don't have too many friends in the rank-and-file after what happened to ABF!
At this point in time the word "effort" means everything. How much "effort" are you willing to use to rally the rank-and-file with a No vote if it is needed?
Bottom line is... if it's a bad contract Hoffa does not get the last word...you do!

Last edited:
It was only 1supplement, and it’s all about the many not the few .The general president has per our constitution authority to implement any contract. that is already ratified by the membership.

It was only 1supplement, and it’s all about the many not the few .The general president has per our constitution authority to implement any contract. that is already ratified by the membership.

"Louisville’s 94 percent no vote seemed to be the trigger that convinced the International to step in and declare both the national agreement and the three remaining local ones ratified, despite clear language in the constitution about local ratification rights. It was clear these members were not going to vote yes without some progress."
http://www.labornotes.org/2014/04/d...-international-declares-ups-contract-ratified

"Louisville’s 94 percent no vote seemed to be the trigger that convinced the International to step in and declare both the national agreement and the three remaining local ones ratified, despite clear language in the constitution about local ratification rights. It was clear these members were not going to vote yes without some progress."
http://www.labornotes.org/2014/04/d...-international-declares-ups-contract-ratified
Local 89 Louisville was the sole hold out All others were ratified You can get your facts strait or contact the IBT or local 299 TDU HQ .It is what it is .

Local 89 Louisville was the sole hold out All others were ratified You can get your facts strait or contact the IBT or local 299 TDU HQ .It is what it is .
I didn't write the article. My point is that the membership does not have the final say if the union leadership believes there is " a greater good" to be had by imposing the contract rather than waiting for ratification from rank and file. In Yrc case the union leadership will do whatever it takes to get a contract. Take care.

I didn't write the article. My point is that the membership does not have the final say if the union leadership believes there is " a greater good" to be had by imposing the contract rather than waiting for ratification from rank and file. In Yrc case the union leadership will do whatever it takes to get a contract. Take care.
It’s called polotics my friend .Even the teamsters are not ammune.Were all numbers in the game.

Ok. why don't you copy & paste the evidence from the by-laws of the IBT Constitution so everyone on this site will know for sure the statement is true. von.