R&L | What a joke!

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
They're going to post a bid to Kennesaw out of Chattanooga that pays $90 a night. It's 180 miles round trip with 3-5 hrs of unpaid wait time in Kennesaw,good luck keeping a driver on that.

They're going to post a bid to Kennesaw out of Chattanooga that pays $90 a night. It's 180 miles round trip with 3-5 hrs of unpaid wait time in Kennesaw,good luck keeping a driver on that.
He gets paid to wait 3-5 hrs right? After 30 min or an hour delay r&L pays an hourly wage right?

He gets paid to wait 3-5 hrs right? After 30 min or an hour delay r&L pays an hourly wage right?
Nope, it's all unpaid. Even at the beginning of the night if they can't get you out at your cut time and you sit for a hour or two, it's free. We're supposed to get paid after two hours on a breakdown, but they'll change your breakdown time to under 2 hrs so you get nada. This is a big reason drivers stay in p&d.

Nope, it's all unpaid. Even at the beginning of the night if they can't get you out at your cut time and you sit for a hour or two, it's free. We're supposed to get paid after two hours on a breakdown, but they'll change your breakdown time to under 2 hrs so you get nada. This is a big reason drivers stay in p&d.
It should also be a big reason people should leave your company. Ridiculous! The other top notch ltl companies put you on the clock after an hour waiting.

It should also be a big reason people should leave your company. Ridiculous! The other top notch ltl companies put you on the clock after an hour waiting.
Totally agree! I don't see how they keep anybody in the bigger markets where jobs at other ltl's are more plentiful. I've always felt our linehaul should hit the clock at their cut time if they're not ready and after 30 mins when they arrive at another terminal.

Totally agree! I don't see how they keep anybody in the bigger markets where jobs at other ltl's are more plentiful. I've always felt our linehaul should hit the clock at their cut time if they're not ready and after 30 mins when they arrive at another terminal.
It's what Sefl does. After an hour you go on the clock at city driver top out. You can spend the first 30 min using the mandatory break time and end up only giving the company 30 min free

Find out if Kennesaw could use the help on the dock. This might be the TM in Chattanooga. If a linehaul departs his terminal and goes to another and punches in on the dock, that time is charged out (numbers wise) to home terminal. If you have a TM that is a numbers crunchers, this linehaul working the dock at another terminal is a pain in rear. And there is extra paperwork and data entry that is required to do each week because of this dock work, so if he's lazy........Again I would find out if Kenn. could use the help, and if so, there is an outside chance that the right person in WIL could over-ride a TM that won't allow dock work outside his own terminal.

The plan was for him to work in Kennesaw, but they've got enough dock workers to handle what little bit a mini hub freight they move. The first 2 guys we had on the Kennesaw would get to shuttle loads to Atlanta instead of waiting. Ever since the current guy has been running it he wai

That was the plan at first, but Kennesaw has enough dock workers to move what little bit of mini-hub freight they handle. Our TM wouldn't mind if they used him though.

hopefully it picks up and he can get in on some dock work. Tell him to keep in good standings with the mini hub supervisor, so he gets a heads-up if they are needing another dock guy. So that they don't hire one, and continue to make him sit. Just saying :onthego:

Complete bs.No free time should be tolerated. Mandatory half hour dot break before 8 hrs.being the only exception. At upsf we are compensated for all time on duty at 27.15 per hour.When we are driving we earn 68.54 cents per mile. Nation wide. We are not special. Why do companies like r&l and others blatantly abuse their workforces in this regard?

Complete bs.No free time should be tolerated. Mandatory half hour dot break before 8 hrs.being the only exception. At upsf we are compensated for all time on duty at 27.15 per hour.When we are driving we earn 68.54 cents per mile. Nation wide. We are not special. Why do companies like r&l and others blatantly abuse their workforces in this regard?
When you get an answer, come back and let us know.

Not trying to be a smart ass but is because they can. Drivers still come to work and others still applying to go to work. It's all about the money to them, the less they have to give you the more they get to keep.

Not trying to be a smart ass but is because they can. Drivers still come to work and others still applying to go to work. It's all about the money to them, the less they have to give you the more they get to keep.
Exactly, we have some linehaul drivers that make less than $150 a night. One of our guys only grosses $600 a week and can spend up to 5 hours a night waiting for free. He's fixing to quit, but they'll get somebody else to do it for a while. Of the last two guys they hired, one didn't show, the other quit after two nights after he spent 6 hours waiting in Atlanta both nights. He said his time was more valuable than this, I don't blame him.

When a LH driver has to give up 6hrs of pay, he is not going to bust ass to get to terminal. That means, late departure for city drivers and the cycle just repeats itself all week. You have to fix linehaul!

Should be pretty easy to fix, last I checked outside carriers were hauling everything and company LH are on short terminal to terminal runs. But terminals aren't even allowed to make decisions between themselves to move freight. Central dis. calls the shots and almost every time they have, the ball is dropped and someone has to go way out on a limb to fix what shot central called. And it usually means an extra LH on the weekend. I also see about 3 customers a month that are AT the terminal throwing a fit because there freight was held, because central wouldn't let us move the freight. I have story after story that would make you shake your head. Service is the ONLY thing we can sell to a customer and that is not priority here anymore for some reason. Maybe they are counting on their good name for people to continue to ship R+L. That won't last long .

Every night I hear them on the phone with central dis. and central is telling them what freight to hold. Our guy will tell them, "I've got guys that can run" but they let it sit til the next day.