SAIA | What a pissie ass raise

Jack Knife

TB Veteran
Credits
Rick O you made a big deal the last two years about giving us back what you took from us. this is the first raise we have got in 5 years ( I prepaid the last one's) and the best you could come up with is .0138. Looks like we need some one to go to the table for us.

Rick O you made a big deal the last two years about giving us back what you took from us. this is the first raise we have got in 5 years ( I prepaid the last one's) and the best you could come up with is .0138. Looks like we need some one to go to the table for us.
I haven't been with this company long enough to comment about the raise. But I have been in the LTL business for 40+ years in which part of it was at Overnite as a city dispatcher. Honestly I have done just about everything in this business over the last 40 years. I'm not coming on here to act cocky or a arrogant little ass. I'm coming on here to say I've seen what really bad companies do.........I've been to hell and back. And survived it. However you want to view this raise is your business but I'm here to say that in this competitive LTL business it's not that bad.......Unless you have an operation ratio like OD does you must be careful about what you give. Maybe the company can address the OS&D issues and get the O.R. in a better state.....Because that my friend goes to the bottom line.........Maybe they can streamline linehaul to be a little more productive. A tweak here and there can put that O.R. in a better state which will enable them to give a little more as the years roll along....Just my take.....Things could always be worse.

I agree train...but they told us a substantial increase...it was a flat out lie.. I am getting a 5 dollars extra a day...saia could have done a lot better

We all need to take into account that Saia has the best healthcare insurance in the business....A $250 deductible with United Healthcare .....$25.00 Copays for office visits............Where can you find that for $12 a week for yourself.............$25.50 for you and the wife.............$37.50 for the whole family..........I will tell you where.......No where......... No increase in premiums for years while all the others including FedEx have had increases every single year.....OD doesn't even have as good as insurance as this........And after 10 years of service they pay all your insurance premiums...Look maybe they could have given more but they could have offset it with a increase in Healthcare premiums.........Top pay in Dallas for city P&D will now be 23.48 after 18 months and that's a pretty fast top out when you compare it with others ie....R+L... Conway and many more ............Some will always complain no matter what they did........And that's there right.........But as for me I think we got a fair shake...And I'm very grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all need to take into account that Saia has the best healthcare insurance in the business....A $250 deductible with United Healthcare .....$25.00 Copays for office visits............Where can you find that for $12 a week for yourself.............$25.50 for you and the wife.............$37.50 for the whole family..........I will tell you where.......No where......... No increase in premiums for years while all the others including FedEx have had increases every single year.....OD doesn't even have as good as insurance as this........And after 10 years of service they pay all your insurance premiums...Look maybe they could have given more but they could have offset it with a increase in Healthcare premiums.........Top pay in Dallas for city P&D will now be 23.48 after 18 months and that's a pretty fast top out when you compare it with others ie....R+L... Conway and many more ............Some will always complain no matter what they did........And that's there right.........But as for me I think we got a fair shake...And I'm very grateful.
If it was anyone but you, train, I'd give 'em a great big :butt kiss: but I know that's not your style.

the bonus should not be given out they should have raised our pay to give people the desire to come to work for us instead of working 6 months and take the money and run. the
company is giving the house away to the new employees and to hell with the one's that worked hard to help make the company profitable. train I to have over 40 yrs in trucking and I have done every thing from dock to terminal manger in more that one state, I have been with the good and bad in good times and bad and this is still a pissie ass raise

Are top pay for city is now 24.30. Or at least thats what a city driver told me. Thats 2 dollars a hr raise for them. We get bumped to .5635 a mile. This is in Minnesota. If we have that good of insurance great I'll be happy then. I have 2 more months then I get on the insurance

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have said it to management, and they literally laughed in my face...I once suggested that the company should give a bonus to the employees who are already here. I used this example: if the company is willing to shell out $5000 as a sign on bonus, then they should have no problem giving me $1000 bonus. Tie it to safety record. Every 2 years I drive, city, without an accident, give me a bonus. Make me feel like my safety and tenure as a driver with this company is worth something. I think at 4 years you get a jacket...big deal. What's the average cost of an accident? $1000 every 2 accident free years seems pretty cheap... And the response was, no joke, laugh at loud as to how absurd my suggestion was. Thanks Saia that makes me feel really appreciated...management needs to pull their head out of the sand and get a clue

Are top pay for city is now 24.30. Or at least thats what a city driver told me. Thats 2 dollars a hr raise for them. We get bumped to .5635 a mile. This is in Minnesota. If we have that good of insurance great I'll be happy then. I have 2 more months then I get on the insurance

yes the insurance is good. I had operation last year total coast to me $1,750. you must take all vacation and personal days b/4 sick pay kicks in.

Wages are determined by total cost of the employee to the company, more money, then less benefits, or you want tractors with all the bells and whistles, then you get less of both.

Maybe I am missing something but as of today YRC, Holland, New Penn, and ABF all have better insurance. 100% of premiums paid for full family coverage. $200 individual deductible and $600 family deductible, with $20 co-pay. Full vision coverage with annual rollover(can purchase new glasses or contacts with eye check-up each year) .Full dental coverage. Not only that, but you could get a step-child covered under your family coverage with no premium. Also, even though YRC companies are not paying full retirement benefits now, we have received them for the past 50 years. I am sure you will tell me of all the Union Company struggles, but I hope if my fellow Teamsters are reading this after their regular shift of 8-hours, read slowly, because you are on overtime since union scale is overtime after 8. No one else has that.

I won't get in a pissing contest with you about the benefits of unionized companies............I'm very aware of the pro's and con's..............So let me rephrase.....Of all the non-union companies Saia is the top dog as far as Healthcare.............And BTW FedEx pays overtime after 8 but the working environment makes it not worth it......And they are non-union...........Unions have there purpose and they have helped raise the pay in the LTL business..............But they have grown weak and that's the very reason they struggle today. You guys have ripped your own union for so long here of late I'm surprised you still have faith in them.............I read all the union forums...........Despite what you may or may not have................One thing is for sure............The brotherhood is not the same as it once was. Saia has a great working environment with very little descension......We don't need a union......There is a reason why the most profitable LTL companies stay union free. The union has what they have in the LTL business. And rest assured they won't be getting any new LTL companies to join up.............And yeah I know its because we don't have a good set of balls.......I hear that all the time......No disrespect ABFer........You know I still love you.

I won't get in a pissing contest with you about the benefits of unionized companies............I'm very aware of the pro's and con's..............So let me rephrase.....Of all the non-union companies Saia is the top dog as far as Healthcare.............And BTW FedEx pays overtime after 8 but the working environment makes it not worth it......And they are non-union...........Unions have there purpose and they have helped raise the pay in the LTL business..............But they have grown weak and that's the very reason they struggle today. You guys have ripped your own union for so long here of late I'm surprised you still have faith in them.............I read all the union forums...........Despite what you may or may not have................One thing is for sure............The brotherhood is not the same as it once was. Saia has a great working environment with very little descension......We don't need a union......There is a reason why the most profitable LTL companies stay union free. The union has what they have in the LTL business. And rest assured they won't be getting any new LTL companies to join up.............And yeah I know its because we don't have a good set of balls.......I hear that all the time......No disrespect ABFer........You know I still love you.
I appreciate your honest answer. You are right, the Union(not the union employees) have pushed themselves right out the door. The Teamsters Union and Congress are the only 2 entities that can misappropriate that much money and someone not go to jail. I worked at Thurston not a non- union shop for 14 yrs. before my 24 1/2 with Yellow. With Yellow Everyone worked hard, respected each other and made a good life for their families. The Union also kept my non- union salaries comparable to theirs by keepin the union scale high. Yes, a few lazy ones got protected due to the contract, but that job security was the well worth those few that seeped thru the cracks. When you work as hard as truckers do, you do not want the fear of losing your job on ur shoulder every day. That was probably the most satisfying area of every contract for me.

I understand that unions do give you a little more security when it comes to your job..........Having said that let me say also that if a company wants to get rid of you.....I mean truly get rid of you.....Nothing can save you. They will find a reason or make your life a living hell until you quit........I've been on both sides of the fence and I have experienced this first hand....Trust me on that. That is why it's so important to protect your CDL and not let some dispatcher press you to hurry and make mistakes or even worse an accident. Take your time and be safe and if it's not good enough for him then that's his problem......Not yours..........If he wants to fire you for not being productive enough..........So be it.....Just take your perfect CSA score and driving record to the next company............Let them bully the young men with intimidation tactics and cost the company much more money when they go out and have an accident trying to prove how fast they are... Many dispatchers have a preset notion on how long each stop should take.....They gauge it by how the showoffs get in and out.....But the facts are each stop (even the same stop) have different circumstances that take different amounts of time....They have no way of knowing traffic conditions either....They want to sit in that chair and act like they know everything. Just do your job in a safe manner......Because many dispatchers could care less about you or your driving record...All they care about are the numbers. Let me add this is a generalization of most dispatchers mindset and not all are the same.

Best healthcare in the business? Doubt it! Whats better then paying nothing? Wait untill Obama care catches up with you!

Why does it seem like every thread turns into union is better then non union? Everything has it ups and downs. Not everyone wants to work in the union. I know I dont want to try and start out on the bottom of a union board being a single parent. Plus we all do the same job. Union drivers arent any better then non union in my opinion. We are all the same. I just get tired of some union drivers trying to prove that they are better then us because they have free health care or pension and protection and work rules. Us non union drivers get by just fine to.

Best healthcare in the business? Doubt it! Whats better then paying nothing? Wait untill Obama care catches up with you!
I clarified my position.....The best of all the non-union trucking companies......I could rip the hell out of the union and how they have caved over and over to the brotherhood...........But I won't go there. That new contract sucks to the new hires and that has drained the life blood out of the brotherhood.....Sure you have good insurance and a pension (again I won't go there about the pension) but it didn't come without a cost....You sacrificed so much and got very little in return....Healthcare you got........The Teamsters sacrificed the future of the union by screwing the new guys in that contract.......UPS parcel is the only thing that holds the brotherhood together these days....If it wasn't for them you would be dead.