What are chances for foreign driver to get hired?

Janne Jokinen

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello everyone!

Im Janne Jokinen, living in Finland (North-Europe). Id like to know what are my chances to get hired by trucking company in Usa?
I graduated last September 2013 (As class A- driver) and ever since been looking for a trucking job here in Finland but it seems so hard because of the depression.
I visited California twice in the past 6 months. Even had one job interview but i think it lead to nothing, never heard from them ever again.
I have also sent maaaaany emails to different trucking companies but most of them dont reply back to me and if they do, its usually no-no.

So, my fellow truckers, what do you think are my chances to get hired by american trucking company? Do companies there usually hire foreign drivers, outside of Us?

Thanks to all whole replies!

Ps. Im 23 if that matters.

Hello everyone!

Im Janne Jokinen, living in Finland (North-Europe). Id like to know what are my chances to get hired by trucking company in Usa?
I graduated last September 2013 (As class A- driver) and ever since been looking for a trucking job here in Finland but it seems so hard because of the depression.
I visited California twice in the past 6 months. Even had one job interview but i think it lead to nothing, never heard from them ever again.
I have also sent maaaaany emails to different trucking companies but most of them dont reply back to me and if they do, its usually no-no.

So, my fellow truckers, what do you think are my chances to get hired by american trucking company? Do companies there usually hire foreign drivers, outside of Us?

Thanks to all whole replies!

Ps. Im 23 if that matters.
They are most likely concerned with your commute?????

Even though you have a Class A from your country you would need to obtain a US CDL which may require you to go to a truck driving school here...I'm not sure if yours will qualify for a US CSL...

I see many drivers (Russian, Indian, etc) who barely speak English driving trucks long distance so there must be a way. Keep doing research and you will find it.

Hi Janne, there are two things that will stand in the way of you getting a truck driving job, be it in the US or in Europe.

You are under 25. Insurance companies charge such huge rates for drivers under 25.

And you have zero experience. Any company worth driving for will require at least two years of current driving experience. Companies that hire rookie drivers will have crappy equipment that will get you shut down at every scale you cross, and the pay will be a fraction of what the good companies pay.

Getting a first job in trucking these days is a tough nut to crack.

Good luck!

GREETINGS Janne,

You're not all that foreign since you comprehend English, so that's a PLUS.

Driver Training Schools in Europe do not help Graduates GET EMPLOYED??
6 months since grad-e-ashun ya might need one of them thar pesky "refresher courses".

You were trained on Lorries yes?
Our Trucks have less Axles and most are Conventionals and are driven on the Left side of the Vehicle, Right Side of the Road.

Trucking "laws" and "rules" are getting goofier and more restrictive yearly in these "united" states.

You as well could check with Companies in New Zealand and Australia.

That's all I have.
CHEERS!!

Thanks to everyone who replied! :)

Trucking laws are already way too goofy here in Europe, i.e all trucks must have "digital reader" (you put your drivers card in to this reader and it saves how many hours youve been driving and if youve kept mandatory breaks, basically meaning you can driver no more than 9 hours/day).

And how to get experience if nobody hires a guy without experience? >:0 And yes, i was trained on lorries but it has been almost 7 months since i drove one so...

I have heard the term lorries before but is one different than our semi's? USA is heading towards electronic monitoring and many large companies have it. We call it E-logs. Max driving time is 11 hrs and max on duty is 14 and 10 hours off.

Oh so Usa already has something like our system.. Interesting! Well lorrie is same as semi but in we just have different brands when it comes to trucks. In Europe, we drive mostly Volvo's and Scania's but also Mercedes Benz, Iveco, Man, Renault and in Finland theres some finnish-made trucks (mostly dumpers and log trailers) called Sisu.

Oh so Usa already has something like our system.. Interesting! Well lorrie is same as semi but in we just have different brands when it comes to trucks. In Europe, we drive mostly Volvo's and Scania's but also Mercedes Benz, Iveco, Man, Renault and in Finland theres some finnish-made trucks (mostly dumpers and log trailers) called Sisu.

I drive a Volvo.

Monstro At North Charleston by racerx6948, on Flickr

OK, enough about trucks and trucking I want to hear about Finland. I love to travel, should I put it on my bucket list or spend my time elsewhere? Is it part of Scandinavia like Denmark and some others?

OK, enough about trucks and trucking I want to hear about Finland. I love to travel, should I put it on my bucket list or spend my time elsewhere? Is it part of Scandinavia like Denmark and some others?

Should have been a road driver , you know a paid vacation everyday, first class lodging you get the drift

Finland is located between Russia ja Sweden and we also share border with Norway. There is 5,5mill finns blah blah blah and and and nothing to see here I THINK... Well Santa Claus lives in north pole and Angry Birds is finnish product, just like Nokia. 180,000 lakes and 179,000 islands. And we have no polar bears and american late night- shows likes to make fun (in a good way) of finnish people as we are reserved and like to keep things to our selves. Huh!

Expect conversation like this when talking with finns; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvidoBBJSRA Finland is also one the most expensive countries to live in but we get something good by paying high taxes; Free education from kinden garten to university, its all free (including free meals)... tho school books you have to buy starting from high school -->

And cars.. You gonna love this! Our gas and diesel costs TWICE more than in Usa. + if you drive diesel, you gotta pay diesel tax, say for example Mercedes Benz 200D, yearly diesel tax is around 700 euros which is roughly 1000$. And most of the cars are stick shifters. Getting a drivers license aint cheap, license to drive normal car- all costs included, around 2000 euros = 3000$. And license for motorcycle (theres different classes for different size bikes, 50cc, 125cc, up to 46hp and unlimited) is around 1800$. And our teens love to ride one these! --> https://www.google.fi/search?q=mopo...SJ4ATLyIDYDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=566 thats a "moped car", not really a car, its all plastic and has 500cc diesel engine but they are limited to 25mph :D and age to drive these is 15 and up. Also requires license of its own.. What else should i tell?

Hmmm well id say if youre a hardcore Finland fan, you will have fun but if youre just a "normal tourist", youre not gonna like it here. Winter is 6 months long, lasting from October till April. Summer goes fast, like in 2-3 months. And our defense secretary is swedish and never been at army :'D Ohh and all men in Finland HAS to go to army (or "civil service" OR go to prison for 365 days)

Ps. I hope this helped! Pps. Its all true above :)

Finland is also one the most expensive countries to live in but we get something good by paying high taxes; Free education from kinden garten to university, its all free (including free meals)...

That's not "free", it is paid for by the taxes.

In my state, the people who own property subsidize the public education system (kindergarten through high school) via a portion of their property taxes. Since I have no children I pay for the children of losers who rent and do not own real property to get a primary education.

And the schools are not turning out Einsteins either.