FedEx Freight | what are other ltl carriers rate of pay?

No, FedEx Freight was originally comprised of Viking and AF (FedEx Frt West & FedEx Frt East respectively) and then added Watkins (FedEx National) later, all three non-union companies, while we've continued to remain union free....( I say union free because no contract has been ratified).
UPS bought Overnite, a non-union company, which became UPSF but you guys voted in the union....so yes, UPSF, a union company, has existed for less than ten years.
My point is, had you guys remained non-union, or had Overnite been a union company with a ratified contract before the purchase, then my statement would be inaccurate for this arguments sake.
Semantics, yes, but accurate none the less.
FedEx is a fairly new company compared to its competitors.

I see that citydog, Purple Hammer & Redracer are always on these boards day and night. Are you guys using your smart phones while working.

That would be one carrier out of how many.
And this was our point. Excluding UPS, since deregulation only two major union carries still exists...and they're taking consessions in order to survive.
UPSF since joining the union, has been operating for less than ten years.

That would be one carrier out of how many.
The same could be said for the thousands of non union trucking company's that have gone out of business over the last ten years. Probably because of the outrageous contracts that upper management had...............lol

Pretty good read here. Covers the Driver shortage topic from several angles.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...5/01/driver-dilemma-in-search-of-drivers.aspx

“What we’re seeing with drivers as well as with technicians is that more and more folks are reaching retirement age, and the next generation are not coming out in the quantities that we need,” says Jane Clark, who as vice president of member services at Nationalease works with many of its 165 truck leasing company member companies on driver recruiting and retention. “There’s a gap, and the gap’s growing wider.”

"In addition to looking for ways to appeal to younger drivers, many fleets are trying to expand the pool of drivers beyond the traditional demographics. Policies, equipment specifications and advertising are being designed to attract more women and minorities."

"There’s also hope that President Obama’s move to let some undocumented immigrants stay in the country could clear the way for them to become professional truck drivers, but that path is neither simple nor quick."

"What is employee engagement? Aside from the mortgage payment, it’s what makes you want to get up for work in the morning. Or, in this context, it’s what keeps drivers from jumping ship over some minor irritation.
Engagement, or how emotionally committed employees are to an organization and its goals, can have a direct correlation to profitability. As engagement scores go up, typically so does productivity, while turnover goes down."

Everybody wants to be paid more. But it’s not all about money; it’s about lifestyle, it’s about dignity, respect, and honesty.”

"Kevin Burch likes to start discussions on the driver shortage by asking members of an audience to raise their hands if they would like their children to grow up and work as drivers. Few typically raise their hands – and this is in an audience that is already in the trucking industry."

In South Bend Indiana we make $22.88, and all of the competition makes $2-2.50 more an hour.
FedEx Freight in SLC (Salt Lake City, Utah is $25.80hr. and $37.62 Overtime for city PD, and Road Drivers make 63.5 Mile plus drop and hook pay after 3yrs. at top rate. plus we get on average a 50cent raise or more every year.

Ugh! Same company different wage! 22.88 here! Another reason I'm pushing for UNION
Salt Lake city drivers make $25.80 and Road drivers make 63.5 mile, and don't forget time and a half after 8hrs. at $37.62, Old Dominion does not pay overtime, unless you work pass 60hrs. which never happens. Old Dominion (OD) stands for Overtime Denied.

I got six years experience in foodservice, all the prerequisites LTL requires, and one ticket three years ago... I wanna go LTL, but I can't handle the cut in pay, or risk of that, just yet. Making 70k at the easiest job in foodservice but I hate teams and want your schedule!!!

One day when I get some of these bills down ill come on over.
Making 70k in the foodservice business, and how much an hour do you make? For 70k, you must be working 65-70hrs. a week, hand trucking piece by piece and all inside deliveries. That to me is beating up your body, and it will not hold up in the long run. It kills your knees, back, and almost your whole body. Some foodservices like some US Foods warehouses, pay 22cents a pieces-box. I just asked one last week. And some like back in Philly-New Jersey are union and pay very well like 27hr or more.

Down south with the raise we will be at $23.68....over $2.00 behind ups freight!!
I Think we should all make the same pay doing the same work at any FedEx terminal no matter where you live. I lived most of my life back east and now out west, and there really is not to much difference when it comes to spending your money. It's not like I spend $2.0o more for a Big Mack out west, then in the deep south. I been to 46 states running OTR and teams, and the price I pay for just about anything is about the same, except if you live in New York City. As a matter of fact, I pay tax on clothing out west, where back east, there was no tax on clothes. And gas prices are much higher out west, too. And I can go on and on about prices, except for maybe a house, where you can pretty much pick and choose a decent home no matter where you live for about the same per buck. I'm sure management pays the same no matter where you work at FedEx. or they would never transfer, I know that for a fact. You think if a manager is transferred to a different region, they are going to pay him less? They use that rate scale per region to save them money, and in return, you make far less, again. doing the same, hard work, while FedEx makes more on your behalf.

Wow everybody calm down. Whoever started all this mess my job is harder then your job done a pretty good job stiring up crap.personaly i can speak on both sides i did both. Fact is both are hard i've done 19 years in city over 10 on road worked days and nights, nobody's job is harder then the other.i've had easy city runs and i've had hard city runs also i've had easy road runs and had hard road runs. Nobody on here is better then the other one without the other and this company will go under. This thread was about what other ltl carriers make compared to what we make. Fedex freight is the number 1 ltl carrier in the us today. Questions is why aren't we treated that way with pay and benifits.and most of all job sercurity.
You cannot even compare a hard city delivery job, and a sit on your fat butt for 10-11hrs as a road driver. I did both, and the hardest thing for a road driver was for me was staying awake, because it so easy and boring. Try delivering with a liftgate everyday, and you as a road driver cannot tell me your job is just as hard. Not even close, and you make far more than a city driver. FedEx needs to pay city drivers a little more to come even close to a road driver. For a city driver to make 70-80k like a road driver, he would have to work 18-22hrs a week OT, every week, and that will never happen. And even if you did, your body would not handle it.