FedEx Freight | what are other ltl carriers rate of pay?

It's a good thing you are not qualified to label anyone a fool or else I might get my feelings hurt, pal. I've never resorted to name calling or insulting anyone on online forums. That's just uncalled for, but I can appreciate your confidence in the confines of this forum.

I believe you have taken this to a whole new level, Pete, one that I'm not interested in lowering to, but I do appreciate your heartfelt opinions. I look forward to more conversations.

And making as much as some of you, you say. I'd say I make more than most LTL, but that's probably another silly opinion of mine. I'm on the hourly end and making OT after 8 and 40. I'd say I'm doing alright. My consideration of joining an LTL company is merely a plan for a change of scenery. I'll most likely stay put, however it's always a possibility.

If you have anything else to say, just PM me. I don't think anyone is interested in this exchange.

And not saying I'm a fool? Sometimes when you say such things, it just sounds like it was directed at me anyway. But if not it's all good. I hope we can move on and stay civil man.

I'm young and all this has been a learning experience, gaining skills, learning the ism and outs of driving. Six years later, I've remained safe and accident free. My thoughts are that LTL seems to have a more professional feel to it, and seems like a final destination for someone wanting a career in this business.

I'm 27 and have the opportunity to pick a company and start a long, successful career. If I'm off or completely wrong on perceptions of the industry, that's where you veterans on TB come in!

I really do appreciate the guys on this forum.

I'm backing up to a point when this discussion made sense. LTL provides the opportunity to make way more $ than food service (which I gather is where you are now), unless you really like the brutally long hours required to make good money in that line of work.

Now, you seem to be asking for advice about what company you should look at. Starting fresh, you'll be at the bottom, obviously. If I were starting a LTL career today, I'd do my best to get on with UPS Freight. At least you'll KNOW that as you gain seniority it will mean something. You'll have enforced rules too. But most importantly, after 4 years you'll be at top pay at the highest paid company. That's my advice to you because that's what I would do, if I were in your shoes.

Sounds good till you look back 5 to 10 years from now and you're still miserable. I also thought that but left anyway. Now I have a bid run and a newer tractor then I ever had at FedEx. Stay because you want too... not have too There is life after FedEx.

My best to you all.

at over 50 it's hard to start over.

OD does not pay overtime

For God's sake don't get those guys started over here. The minute they're brought up they jump on the defensive about how great it is to work sixty hours a week for straight time. They're like a dog when he hears a strange sound: someone types OD on a thread, their head pops up and twist to hone in, and the green and white invasion is initiated.

Last edited by a moderator:
For God's sake don't get those guys started over here. The minute they're brought up they jump on the defensive about how great it is to work sixty hours a week for straight time. They're like a dog when he hears a strange sound: someone types OD on a thread, their head pops up and twist to hone in, and the green and white invasion is initiated.
Will they send their company paid censors? Or their grade school dropout hero Kenny?

OD does not pay overtime

FedEx does not want to pay overtime. And if they can ever get fully staffed, there won't be much. We shouldn't accept non competitive wages based on the expectation of overtime. Don't get me wrong, I like that we get overtime after 8/40 but that doesn't justify a significantly lower wage.

FedEx does not want to pay overtime. And if they can ever get fully staffed, there won't be much. We shouldn't accept non competitive wages based on the expectation of overtime. Don't get me wrong, I like that we get overtime after 8/40 but that doesn't justify a significantly lower wage.

We're actually paid more hourly here than OD. We'll see if that holds true in the fall. They get their raise September, and of course ours is October.

It's a good thing you are not qualified to label anyone a fool or else I might get my feelings hurt, pal. I've never resorted to name calling or insulting anyone on online forums. That's just uncalled for, but I can appreciate your confidence in the confines of this forum.

I believe you have taken this to a whole new level, Pete, one that I'm not interested in lowering to, but I do appreciate your heartfelt opinions. I look forward to more conversations.

And making as much as some of you, you say. I'd say I make more than most LTL, but that's probably another silly opinion of mine. I'm on the hourly end and making OT after 8 and 40. I'd say I'm doing alright. My consideration of joining an LTL company is merely a plan for a change of scenery. I'll most likely stay put, however it's always a possibility.

If you have anything else to say, just PM me. I don't think anyone is interested in this exchange.
If you came in for an interview with me and had that I am the second coming of Christ attitude you show here the only thing I would do is show you the door. Maybe you should keep your current position

Really, bro? Let's hear any valid, negative statements about Texas you can throw it. What about the state of Texas is funny?

The self righteous attitude of the residents is funny to me. I was actually just giving you a light hearted jab when I mentioned you were from Texas. I see you can't take a joke. It's a well known stereotype how you Texans feel about Texas.