Yellow | What are people’s thoughts on Teamsters union

Clark75, Hopefully one of these days the rank and file will get off their a-- and vote and return their ballots and maybe just maybe the Teamsters Union will become the force we once were. Good luck and hang in there. Remember, a union is a collections of members who might have different opinions on a matter of things, but when it comes to the good of every one involved they stick together. If the leadership does'nt understand that then they have to go. Teamsters need to stop complaining on social media and take back their union, which means voting for changes at the top and make these people accountable for their actions. Everybody needs to remember the union is "you" not 'them".

Clark75, Hopefully one of these days the rank and file will get off their a-- and vote and return their ballots and maybe just maybe the Teamsters Union will become the force we once were. Good luck and hang in there. Remember, a union is a collections of members who might have different opinions on a matter of things, but when it comes to the good of every one involved they stick together. If the leadership does'nt understand that then they have to go. Teamsters need to stop complaining on social media and take back their union, which means voting for changes at the top and make these people accountable for their actions. Everybody needs to remember the union is "you" not 'them".
Most people on here fail to realize that we operate in a non-union industry now and blame the Teamsters for the economics of our situation. Fedx is the big boy on the block and are closely followed by xpo-OD and many others. They set the pay scale now. Now before several get on here and say the NONS pay more- you have to remember they have very little benefits. Most don’t pay overtime- most insurance is completely useless-they provide little if any retirement benefits-and wouldn’t know what a paid sick day is. Also remember our insurance is $401/wk. that’s $10/hr and the company is paying $2.20/hr into the pension which would amount to a 10% 401 contribution. Ask around how many of the NONS are getting 10% match. I won’t get into having seniority rights or grievance procedures. Ask the NONS about filling a grievance or getting paid for seniority run around. They’ll think you’re speaking Latin. All is not gloom and doom.

My last job went from non union to union I felt it wasn’t absolutely necessary but here at YRC I believe the union is necessary just a different world at this company/industry. I was wondering at what point do we start hearing anything about contract proposals or is it to early to think about?

My last job went from non union to union I felt it wasn’t absolutely necessary but here at YRC I believe the union is necessary just a different world at this company/industry. I was wondering at what point do we start hearing anything about contract proposals or is it to early to think about?
I’m hearing they are going to sit down in early December for the first official talks. But basically you’re going to hear rumors that mostly will be false. We really won’t know anything until they reach a tentative agreement probably in early March. Ignore everything else until then- it’s just a bunch of noise

Most people on here fail to realize that we operate in a non-union industry now and blame the Teamsters for the economics of our situation. Fedx is the big boy on the block and are closely followed by xpo-OD and many others. They set the pay scale now. Now before several get on here and say the NONS pay more- you have to remember they have very little benefits. Most don’t pay overtime- most insurance is completely useless-they provide little if any retirement benefits-and wouldn’t know what a paid sick day is. Also remember our insurance is $401/wk. that’s $10/hr and the company is paying $2.20/hr into the pension which would amount to a 10% 401 contribution. Ask around how many of the NONS are getting 10% match. I won’t get into having seniority rights or grievance procedures. Ask the NONS about filling a grievance or getting paid for seniority run around. They’ll think you’re speaking Latin. All is not gloom and doom.

Great post.

Good post except for the pension contribution part. Tell me how anyone new coming into this job with this company will ever collect on that benefit. Tell me how anyone with 10,15, or even 20 years seniority that is more than 10 years from retirement will collect. And those collecting the pension now can feel comfortable for maybe the next 7 to 10 years.
Then it's gone.
As far as grievances, that's a joke and you know it. And the "free" healthcare, is paid for with your 15% contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Teamsters at YRCW are good for one thing, sustaining the employment of those unemployable anywhere else. The non Union LTL'S have a higher standard now for employment, skill level, and work expectations.
Not to mention they are paid more.
All because of a Teamsters Union with ::shit:: poor leadership, and Teamster members who could give a ::shit:: about the Union, or the company they work for.

Good post except for the pension contribution part. Tell me how anyone new coming into this job with this company will ever collect on that benefit. Tell me how anyone with 10,15, or even 20 years seniority that is more than 10 years from retirement will collect. And those collecting the pension now can feel comfortable for maybe the next 7 to 10 years.
Then it's gone.
As far as grievances, that's a joke and you know it. And the "free" healthcare, is paid for with your 15% contribution.

Agreed its not right, but complaining about accepting a 15% pay cut to preserve free healthcare, does not allow to play pity for both losses. Choose one and be done.

The pension situation is abhorred, but nearly unfixable. No solution will be good. I am sad for retirees that must endure cuts, but I am more sad for those that chose and continue to believe in certain fantasies.

Live within your means, take all of your overtime and save it in any retirement vessel available to you and plan to live way longer than you presently imagine. Work as long as you are healthy and can muster the energy to show up. The job will not change, therefore you must.

Oh, and grievances, if my BA doesn't cooperate, I am capable of going over his head to remedy the situation.

I'm a 33 yr member, I have 2 things to add #1 The union isn't anything close to what it was and Jr. has to go one way or another,! #2 What union? All the Teamsters care about is the company and collecting dues.

Under Hoffa it’s like something out of a Craig’s List Personal – you pay them, and they role play as the daddy that always knows what’s best for you.

Then it's gone.
No. This is a good post!!

Then it's gone.
The fact that the pension is going broke doesn’t change the fact that the company continues to contribute to it. Many people have a problem with conflating the company and/or the union with the pension fund which neither one has really anything to do with it. The Teamsters are not involved with it and the companies only involvement is writing checks to it. As far as grievances we still win them all the time.

Regardless of stated opinions, most who have been working in a Union shop would have difficulty in one that was not.
Depends on the new place. 20 years ago, probably. To attract drivers today, non union companies tend to treat employees better than companies that have union contracts. As a rule, there's FAR less bitterness at Nons than between employees and management than at YRC. On the downside, tho, the rules change depending on who you are- but I've seen that at YRC too....

To me its seems like Teamsters are in a managed decline nothing but concessionary contracts in every industry look at the contracts just chipping away at everything members fought for over the years but the Union Officers still get full pay and their own special pension plan that's fully funded all they care about is the dues money. All they are really good for is getting your job back if you're fired.