Yellow | What are people’s thoughts on Teamsters union

Most people on here fail to realize that we operate in a non-union industry now and blame the Teamsters for the economics of our situation. Fedx is the big boy on the block and are closely followed by xpo-OD and many others. They set the pay scale now. Now before several get on here and say the NONS pay more- you have to remember they have very little benefits. Most don’t pay overtime- most insurance is completely useless-they provide little if any retirement benefits-and wouldn’t know what a paid sick day is. Also remember our insurance is $401/wk. that’s $10/hr and the company is paying $2.20/hr into the pension which would amount to a 10% 401 contribution. Ask around how many of the NONS are getting 10% match. I won’t get into having seniority rights or grievance procedures. Ask the NONS about filling a grievance or getting paid for seniority run around. They’ll think you’re speaking Latin. All is not gloom and doom.

The biggest player, FxF pays OT after 8hrs,paid sick days, seniority is just as relaxant as in a union shop. They get solid 401k match, plenty of ways to file a greivence.
Medical is the only area where they are behind the union shops, but it's not that bad of insurance. They also have a fleet where 82% of the tractors are less than 3yrs old,with the oldest only being 8.

A/c work in those 20yr old Volvos I see y'all in?
Sweet cut off blue jeans as work uniforms.

Wondering how do you expect to attract new membership when all this negativity about the union is going around ? If you guys had more membership ya might not be in the condition you are today . One thing for sure is stop dragging the union threw the mud and maybe just maybe you guys will get more members when ya stop scaring off would be new members . Management at the nonunion companies gotta love reading this crap. It gives them all the amo they need to scare off any idea of joining the Teamsters . After reading this anti union rhetoric who to say that this isn't being posted by nonunion management .Why else would anyone who wants to bring in new members post this union bashing ? I am a 44 year retired member from Yellow Freight and living a very comfortable life because of my union ( not central states) . My union dues was one of the best investments I ever made . It made it possible to enjoy the security I have today . Think before ya post. BTW Central States needs new member to make them strong again lets not chase away would be new members .

Last edited:
Wondering how do you expect to attract new membership when all this negativity about the union is going around ? If you guys had more membership ya might not be in the condition you are today . One thing for sure is stop dragging the union threw the mud and maybe just maybe you guys will get more members when ya stop scaring off would be new members . Management at the nonunion companies gotta love reading this crap. It gives them all the amo they need to scare off any idea of joining the Teamsters . After reading this anti union rhetoric who to say that this isn't being posted by nonunion management .Why else would anyone who wants to bring in new members post this union bashing ? I am a 44 year retired member from Yellow Freight and living a very comfortable life because of my union ( not central states) . My union dues was one of the best investments I ever made . It made it possible to enjoy the security I have today . Think before ya post. BTW Central States needs new member to make them strong again lets not chase away would be new members .
So if the Union does something you feel is wrong, be a good boy and don’t discuss it?

The problem isn’t the people that call the Union officials out when they do certain things.
The problem is those who do those things.

Yea, it’s kinda like there is some highly organized, financially motivated, group looking to exploit every weaknesses of the current Union model, including it’s lack of openness and accountability.

There is nothing I deplore more than people that don’t give their fellow man credit for their ability to sort through open public discourse, and all available information, in an effort to form an independent opinion. Seriously, FU, stifling opinion, and suppressing information is the most most UN-American thing I can think of.

Last edited:
So if the Union does something you feel is wrong, be a good boy and don’t discuss it?

The problem isn’t the people that call the Union officials out when they do certain things.
The problem is those who do those things.
So whats your plan on attracting new members ? Yes union officials that are not doing their jobs in a manor that benefits the members should be dealt with . I blame a lot of this on members that won't vote . Last time a vote was taken only 18% bothered to take a moment to vote . Then they have time to come here on T/B and knock the union . If ya have a problem with the union then go to your monthly union meeting and address the problem there and bring a enough of members with to show there is strength in numbers . Airing your laundry on T/B isn't helping to bring in new members . Having said that I think Hoffa's time has come . Not all unions are bad ,there are plenty of good hard working unions out there doing whats right for their members but ya would never know it after reading whats posted here .

That statement is absolutely false. Your numbers are not even close to accurate.

Whatever the numbers, you would think that the well documented decline in Union membership would result in an effort by the Teamsters Union to gauge member satisfaction. Ask yourself, what has been done to determine how you feel about the job they are doing at the local, and national level. Let’s face it, they have done nothing to gauge member opinion, because they do not value your opinion. Your neighborhood restaurant shows more interest in how your dinner went, than the Union shows in your ongoing relationship with them. Satisfaction surveys aren’t that hard.

So whats your plan on attracting new members ? Yes union officials that are not doing their jobs in a manor that benefits the members should be dealt with . I blame a lot of this on members that won't vote . Last time a vote was taken only 18% bothered to take a moment to vote . Then they have time to come here on T/B and knock the union . If ya have a problem with the union then go to your monthly union meeting and address the problem there and bring a enough of members with to show there is strength in numbers . Airing your laundry on T/B isn't helping to bring in new members . Having said that I think Hoffa's time has come . Not all unions are bad ,there are plenty of good hard working unions out there doing whats right for their members but ya would never know it after reading whats posted here .
During my time in the Teamster Union this was called "All Talk No Action"

The fact that the pension is going broke doesn’t change the fact that the company continues to contribute to it. Many people have a problem with conflating the company and/or the union with the pension fund which neither one has really anything to do with it. The Teamsters are not involved with it and the companies only involvement is writing checks to it. As far as grievances we still win them all the time.
Tell me other than Central States which Teamster local is going broke ? Many of the Teamsters union through out the country are doing fine . Western Conference IS DOING GREAT . Local 705 and 710 have plenty of money .

Whatever the numbers, you would think that the well documented decline in Union membership would result in an effort by the Teamsters Union to gauge member satisfaction. Ask yourself, what has been done to determine how you feel about the job they are doing at the local, and national level. Let’s face it, they have done nothing to gauge member opinion, because they do not value your opinion. Your neighborhood restaurant shows more interest in how your dinner went, than the Union shows in your ongoing relationship with them. Satisfaction surveys aren’t that hard.
Oh I agree completely. They don’t care one bit what the members think. All the IBT cares about is that the dues money keeps rolling in and they keep their high paying jobs.

The biggest player, FxF pays OT after 8hrs,paid sick days, seniority is just as relaxant as in a union shop. They get solid 401k match, plenty of ways to file a greivence.
Medical is the only area where they are behind the union shops, but it's not that bad of insurance. They also have a fleet where 82% of the tractors are less than 3yrs old,with the oldest only being 8.

A/c work in those 20yr old Volvos I see y'all in?
Sweet cut off blue jeans as work uniforms.
I see you guys driving like Dicks in those less than three year old trucks laying the second trailer on it's side all the time....but you guys do have nice pants!

You assume the small number that come on this site to inform others of what’s going on in their company or local union are non voters when that’s one of the biggest discussed things on the site. There’s nothing wrong with transparency. It’s not the members airing laundry, just voicing their thoughts and concerns.

I blame a lot of this on members that won't vote . Last time a vote was taken only 18% bothered to take a moment to vote .

I’m going to throw out there a couple things I think are responsible for the low participation rate:

Union representatives, from the very top on down to the shop level meeting with the company behind closed doors. If it’s necessary to protect an individual members privacy that’s one thing, but outside of that I believe that every detail of every contact between the company and the Union should be public.

Incomprehensible contracts. I firmly believe that these are the result of a deliberate effort to position the Union as gatekeeper, and to discourage members from demanding their rights under the contract. I do not think this issue can be over-estimated in it’s ability to leave members with the feeling that it’s impossible to participate in an informed way.

You assume the small number that come on this site to inform others of what’s going on in their company or local union are non voters when that’s one of the biggest discussed things on the site. There’s nothing wrong with transparency. It’s not the members airing laundry, just voicing their thoughts and concerns.
Not all unions are good I admit that but what needs to be done is to get rid of the bums and find a union that has your best interest . I know its not easy but sometimes ya have to fight for whats right . Whats posted here is picked up by the nonunion management and used against organizing . Not all unions are bad or worthless there many good ones that are being attacked by the negative comments . I think there's ways of airing your opinion with out bringing down the whole union community .Give credit where credit is do.

Last edited:
Not all unions are good I admit that but what needs to be done is to get rid of the bums and find a union that has your best interest . I know its not easy but sometimes ya have to fight for whats right . Whats posted here is picked up by the nonunion management and used against organizing . Not all unions are bad or worthless there many good ones that are being attacked by the negative comments . I think theres ways of airing your opinion with out bringing down the whole union community .Give credit where credit is do.

First, I hope you realize that you are giving greater importance to the image of unions in general than you are to the interests of those you wish to join a union.

Secondly, this union in particular has built a reputation over many decades, and in many ways. It’s absolutely ludicrous for anyone to suggest that the comments on here are capable of doing any further harm.