TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

truckinus

TB Veteran
Credits
I am just trying to get an idea of the situation. I got one of the new teamster campaign slips and was curious what the talking points are. In my opinion there isn't a way you can go wrong having a strong union. Just wanting to to hear some of the guys that don't just hate the union, but have substantial gripes as to why the union wouldn't benefit them. I want to know about pay and retirement and how the current situation compares to what the union is supposedly offering.

As a road driver a union could help with the delay pay & drop and hook pay.

Having to give up an hour or two at each terminal you go to before being able to get paid delay pay SUCKS!!!!!!!

I come to work to support my family. On my run I have to give up two hours every night before I can get paid any delay pay. This is not right!!!!!

The drop & hook pay is a joke. We should be paid for the time spent hooking & droping instead of a set rate. Example in Colunbus OH this week I was given a trailer number to hook to which was empty. After twenty minutes of looking I told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. He had the yard jockey look for it after 10 minutes of looking he told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. I was given another empty trailer number to look for. Again not there. The yard jocky couldn't find it either. Again another empty trailer number. Third time I was lucky and found the trailer.
Went to hook up the front trailer and the placards were not turned to the correct ones that were needed.

Since no one at the Columbus terminal in management is held respondsible for anything except the drivers.
I went ahead and put the correct placards on the trailer even though it was the dock superivisors job to make sure this trailer was correcrly placarded before it was pulled from the dock and not the drivers.

If management did their job correctly there would not be any reason for a union. But untill this happens UPS Freight will needs a union to protect the employees.

It kinda sounds like when I worked at SMT(southwestern motor transport). I was always jacked around waiting for loads and not getting paid. Did a whole 8 hour day once of LTL pickups and didn't get paid a dime. I was told it was part of my mileage pay. I guess it didn't help that I was one of very few white people to work there, but thats a whole another issue.

in Reno we get paid for every mile we drive and every minute we work or wait no matter how long... we can not be fired without cause and the fired employee will get an arbitration by a third party. we have better insurance (delta) and better benefits... how many more reasons do you need?

clutchcargo said:
As a road driver a union could help with the delay pay & drop and hook pay.

Having to give up an hour or two at each terminal you go to before being able to get paid delay pay SUCKS!!!!!!!

I come to work to support my family. On my run I have to give up two hours every night before I can get paid any delay pay. This is not right!!!!!

The drop & hook pay is a joke. We should be paid for the time spent hooking & droping instead of a set rate. Example in Colunbus OH this week I was given a trailer number to hook to which was empty. After twenty minutes of looking I told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. He had the yard jockey look for it after 10 minutes of looking he told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. I was given another empty trailer number to look for. Again not there. The yard jocky couldn't find it either. Again another empty trailer number. Third time I was lucky and found the trailer.
Went to hook up the front trailer and the placards were not turned to the correct ones that were needed.

Since no one at the Columbus terminal in management is held respondsible for anything except the drivers.
I went ahead and put the correct placards on the trailer even though it was the dock superivisors job to make sure this trailer was correcrly placarded before it was pulled from the dock and not the drivers.

If management did their job correctly there would not be any reason for a union. But untill this happens UPS Freight will needs a union to protect the employees.
Glad to hear that there is someone else that does not like to give the company atleast 10 free hours per weak or the slap in the face less than minimum wage delay pay.

Animo916 said:
Not to sound smug, but I haven't heard one good reason yet, not to have union representaion.
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy either, but there really aren't any good reasons to not belong to a Union.......there are only anti-Union talking points that benefit Management only. I don't know why people settle for what Mgmt. will give them unless it's the very best in their line of work...and even then they can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. From what I've learned here about alot of things at O and what I know from the X-O guys that Yellow has hired, I really can't imagine what they tell you guys to make some of you want to resist the Teamsters so bad. It all seems like an easy choice to me......settle for what they'll give you or have a say in what you'll get and not have to worry about what your supervisor thinks of your choice.

webidiot said:
in Reno we get paid for every mile we drive and every minute we work or wait no matter how long... we can not be fired without cause and the fired employee will get an arbitration by a third party. we have better insurance (delta) and better benefits... how many more reasons do you need?
I don't get it? Clutchcargo says you don't get paid for every hour. Is the pay not uniform nationwide?

stldude44 you can have your opinion, there good reasons for not belonging to a union. and what you learn on this board is just talk,just like on the CB you can say anything and remain anonymous. Nobody tells anybody to resist the teamsters, I can tell you after 21 years with this company I for one would NEVER NEVER NEVER work for a union company. You have nothing to offer. Don't start with the everything is lay ed out in the contract stuff. We have a rule book and it has always worked. Any body that works for this company knows what is in store from the very beginning if you don't like it don't come to work here. As for X-O guys at yellow, I can match you with X-union guys who have said things about the union.

And you are entitled to your opinion. It appears, though, that the rule book, written by the Company, doesn't work as well for some as for others. Do you have the waiting period that the O guys complain about for bad weather or roads closed due to accidents? Is your rulebook legal in a lawsuit? Can't your rulebook be changed at will by the Company? If you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER work for a Union Company, more power to you. However, you haven't really addressed the topic openly. Why wouldn't you ever work for a Union Company? What has a Union Company ever done to you that O hasn't done? As I stated before, if you're one of the guys who is happy with whatever Mgmt. decides is good for you, that's fine. I'll never understand it, but it's your choice to settle for less. Nobody ever said that the Teamsters were perfect....just that it's better than the alternative.

dvr49 said:
stldude44 you can have your opinion, there good reasons for not belonging to a union. and what you learn on this board is just talk,just like on the CB you can say anything and remain anonymous. Nobody tells anybody to resist the teamsters, I can tell you after 21 years with this company I for one would NEVER NEVER NEVER work for a union company. You have nothing to offer. Don't start with the everything is lay ed out in the contract stuff. We have a rule book and it has always worked. Any body that works for this company knows what is in store from the very beginning if you don't like it don't come to work here. As for X-O guys at yellow, I can match you with X-union guys who have said things about the union.

OKay then what are the good reasons!!!!!

And what are the things said by the x union guys. You state that they are saying these things ,but WHAT ARE THEY?

Teamster251 said:
OKay then what are the good reasons!!!!!

And what are the things said by the x union guys. You state that they are saying these things ,but WHAT ARE THEY?
Thats basically my question. Can't help I'm a little biased, but if the union is so horrible then explain. I mean if you are going to have to take a $25,000 pay cut then that would make sense to me. Even if it is something as small as not being able to take off on weekends or something.

dvr49, you speakof "this company" like it still exists, you HAD 21 years with ovnt. i have been in the work force scence 1973 full time 26 years union and all non-union jobs i had sucked all older guys resist change but i realize it is here this time i look forward to the change and i mean a big change.

truckinusa said:
Thats basically my question. Can't help I'm a little biased, but if the union is so horrible then explain. I mean if you are going to have to take a $25,000 pay cut then that would make sense to me. Even if it is something as small as not being able to take off on weekends or something.

Truckinusa you posed a very good question and it seems everyone is attempting to change the subject becuase NO ONE has any good points to say about the negatives of the union.

Again people the question is
What are some good reason not to have the union at UPSF?

For starters, we could possibly end up making less money than we do now.
Our pay and other terms would only be as good as negotiated between our elected negotiators(regular employees) and the company.
Who is likely to get voted in as negotiators??...most likely people whos names are well known...like the All star/road teams...you know...company men.
Do you think they will be the best negotiators for us??....doubtfull.
Like I said,they are usually company men...meaning tight with management.

Another is...how much is the iniation fee(let alone monthly dues) to be a member?...$300 or $400...Im not sure...
maybe if the teamsters think we should join them...maybe they can waive that fee for all UPSF members to encourage a yes vote??

You wouldn't make less money. You'd be under the NMFA, which provides higher wages by the hour and mile. It also will do away with the 4 hour delay in waiting which has been described here by O drivers. When you waited at a foriegn terminal it will be on the clock. Your benefits will not cost you a thing.
The Teamsters have very experienced negotiators, but I don't see that as an issue. Again, most of us who've been around see you guys falling right into the NMFA since you are a freight carrier. Of course right now this is all speculation. My guess is that once you guys start to show a real interest in joining we'll all know more. And I wouldn't doubt that we'd waive any initiation fee as well.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Another is...how much is the iniation fee(let alone monthly dues) to be a member?...$300 or $400...Im not sure...
maybe if the teamsters think we should join them...maybe they can waive that fee for all UPSF members to encourage a yes vote??

Initiation fees vary from local to local and company to company.

As far as waiving it for the new UPSF memebers, that type of thing has been done before. Would be yet another reason for joining the Union.

You guys are acting like you make so much more than us. That's funny since you barely moved ahead of us with your last raise.

UPS will change the delay and weather delay pay. Then you will have nothing to offer us. You barely do now.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
For starters, we could possibly end up making less money than we do now.
Our pay and other terms would only be as good as negotiated between our elected negotiators(regular employees) and the company.
Who is likely to get voted in as negotiators??...most likely people whos names are well known...like the All star/road teams...you know...company men.
Do you think they will be the best negotiators for us??....doubtfull.
Like I said,they are usually company men...meaning tight with management.

I've been here 24 years now and never once ever been forced to stay.

dvr49 said:
Well said dvr49! When you hire in at ANY company you know exactly what you are getting into. The rules are in plan English and are pretty fair. The teamsters have a rule book as well that is pretty fair. Both and I mean Both rule books will have there Pros' and Cons'. There will always be a rule that someone doesn't like. or a rule that will step on someone's toes.

We have a former CF employee that drives in the city for us and he said that he is under a lot less pressure with Overnite. he said that since he isn't paying union dues he is making damn close to what he was before CF closed up.