TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

I have a question.........how many past International Presidents di
d NOT either die in jail or under indictment at the time of their death?

clutchcargo said:
As a road driver a union could help with the delay pay & drop and hook pay.

Having to give up an hour or two at each terminal you go to before being able to get paid delay pay SUCKS!!!!!!!

I come to work to support my family. On my run I have to give up two hours every night before I can get paid any delay pay. This is not right!!!!!

The drop & hook pay is a joke. We should be paid for the time spent hooking & droping instead of a set rate. Example in Colunbus OH this week I was given a trailer number to hook to which was empty. After twenty minutes of looking I told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. He had the yard jockey look for it after 10 minutes of looking he told the dispatcher it wasn't on the yard. I was given another empty trailer number to look for. Again not there. The yard jocky couldn't find it either. Again another empty trailer number. Third time I was lucky and found the trailer.
Went to hook up the front trailer and the placards were not turned to the correct ones that were needed.

Since no one at the Columbus terminal in management is held respondsible for anything except the drivers.
I went ahead and put the correct placards on the trailer even though it was the dock superivisors job to make sure this trailer was correcrly placarded before it was pulled from the dock and not the drivers.

If management did their job correctly there would not be any reason for a union. But untill this happens UPS Freight will needs a union to protect the employees.
bullseye,clutch is'nt our time,especially away from our families,worth something?,as far as management doing there jobs:biglaugh: we always needed the union here,:tribehasspoken: look,if somebody feels like they don't/did'nt need it for protection,think of it this way,like an insurrace policy,better to have & not need,that to need & not have ,isn't it?:tribehasspoken: :bgroovy:

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
For starters, we could possibly end up making less money than we do now.
Our pay and other terms would only be as good as negotiated between our elected negotiators(regular employees) and the company.
Who is likely to get voted in as negotiators??...most likely people whos names are well known...like the All star/road teams...you know...company men.
Do you think they will be the best negotiators for us??....doubtfull.
Like I said,they are usually company men...meaning tight with management.

Another is...how much is the iniation fee(let alone monthly dues) to be a member?...$300 or $400...Im not sure...
maybe if the teamsters think we should join them...maybe they can waive that fee for all UPSF members to encourage a yes vote??
hate to tell you,no initiation fees for newly organized companies/members,don't take mine,or anyones word for it,go /call the source,get on the local in your area's website,no initiation fee, the initiation fee's are around $200.00 I believe,STLDUDE,ANIMO,T-251 could probably verifiy this.monthly dues are $51.00 a month[which is tax deductable],has'nt anyone seen the H&r block tax commercial on t.v about the trucker,his expenses,union dues,ect.ect.and how many deductions he could get on his income tax return?say upsf was organized tommorrow,and we had a contract,someone started after the contract was signed,or tommorrow,or the day after tommorrow,then those new hires/members would have to pay an initiation fee,not us newly organized/current employees.:tribehasspoken: :smilie_132: :bgroovy: :cool:

Our pay and other terms would only be as good as negotiated between our elected negotiators(regular employees) and the company.
Who is likely to get voted in as negotiators??...most likely people whos names are well known...like the All star/road teams...you know...company men.

Another is...how much is the iniation fee(let alone monthly dues) to be a member?...$300 or $400...Im not sure...
maybe if the teamsters think we should join them...maybe they can waive that fee for all UPSF members to encourage a yes vote??
who said these 'road captains'WOULD NEGOTIATE,OR EVEN BE ELECTED TO NEGOTIATE,FOR US.you elect whom you think you want to negotiate,someone with some knowledge of the union,how it works,YOU ELECT your shop stewards,YOU ELECT your locals leadership,YOU ELECT the members on the negotiating committee,and no,we would'nt be macking less,if you think that the IBT would negotiate a substandered contract for us,especially after all the years of this going on,and to finally have overnite/upsf organized:biglaugh: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

If you want to be informed and learn how trucking has changed after deregulation read sweatshops on wheels by Michael Belzer printed by Oxford university press. It's not pro one way or the other but it may help. Good luck :soapbox:

jjincks said:
If you want to be informed and learn how trucking has changed after deregulation read sweatshops on wheels by Michael Belzer printed by Oxford university press. It's not pro one way or the other but it may help. Good luck:
another good one is 'THE TEAMSTERS'by STEVEN BRILL,or HOFFA,THE UNTOLD STORY' by JAMES R.HOFFA AND OSCAR FRALEY,or HOFFA,THE TRUE STORY,by ARTHUR SLOANE,also a great set of books called 'THE TRUCKING PIONEERS' by MIKE TEREBECKI ,lots of photo's /company histories,cool reading,you can find them on Ebay,if you can't find them in a bookstore,used book store,library.:smilie_132: :tribehasspoken: :wavey: :smilie_132:

bad habit said:
I have a question.........how many past International Presidents di
d NOT either die in jail or under indictment at the time of their death?
JAMES R. HOFF,FRANK E.FITZSIMMONS,WILLIAM J. (BILLY)MCCARTHY,RON CAREY,AND DAVE BECK all did not die in prison,or under indictment,I believe,and I don't believe JACKIE PRESSER died in prison,even though he was ,or was going to be under indictment,and geewhiz,WEREN'T corporate thieves/ceo's
BERNIE EBBERS,DENNIS KOZLOWSKI,RICHARD SCRUSHY,JOHN RIGAS & SONS,KEN LAY,ANDY FASTOW,JEFFREY SKILLING, or for that fact PHONY TELEVANGALIST's LIKE JIM BAKER,WERE,NT ALL INDICTED,sent to prison,with the exception of SCRUSHY,LAY,SKILLING,who all are on trial now,or soon to be in the future:nutkick::biglaugh: hhhmmmmmmmmmmm?sounds awful funny:rofl2: :duh:

stldude44 said:
And you are entitled to your opinion. It appears, though, that the rule book, written by the Company, doesn't work as well for some as for others. Do you have the waiting period that the O guys complain about for bad weather or roads closed due to accidents? Is your rulebook legal in a lawsuit? Can't your rulebook be changed at will by the Company? If you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER work for a Union Company, more power to you. However, you haven't really addressed the topic openly. Why wouldn't you ever work for a Union Company? What has a Union Company ever done to you that O hasn't done? As I stated before, if you're one of the guys who is happy with whatever Mgmt. decides is good for you, that's fine. I'll never understand it, but it's your choice to settle for less. Nobody ever said that the Teamsters were perfect....just that it's better than the alternative.
I think anyone can find a rule they don't like even in a teamster contract never mind a company rule book.And settle for less is crazy we have a great pension right now ...:duh:

webidiot said:
in Reno we get paid for every mile we drive and every minute we work or wait no matter how long... we can not be fired without cause and the fired employee will get an arbitration by a third party. we have better insurance (delta) and better benefits... how many more reasons do you need?

Still at .46ing a mile and $18ing a hour a? nice.. yep that beats my .50ing a mile and
$19ing hour that will go up to .5313 plus .50 on the dollar match 401k plus stocks..yea ok

Skeeter said:
You guys are acting like you make so much more than us. That's funny since you barely moved ahead of us with your last raise.

UPS will change the delay and weather delay pay. Then you will have nothing to offer us. You barely do now.

I agree what's next a pension? that's broken for the union.:biglaugh:

Johnnybegood said:
I think anyone can find a rule they don't like even in a teamster contract never mind a company rule book.And settle for less is crazy we have a great pension right now ...:duh:

OK DY Your pension is so great compared to ours.
Let's here about it.

List it postive, what it brings to the table, how its paid, when its paid, who is paying in to it and how much.

Come on, yiou say it great let here it

Animo916 said:
Not to sound smug, but I haven't heard one good reason yet, not to have union representaion.
not really,just alot of 'heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friends t/m who said you/we were messin around':biglaugh: :holysheep: :rofl2: :rofl2:

stldude44 said:
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy either, but there really aren't any good reasons to not belong to a Union.......there are only anti-Union talking points that benefit Management only. I don't know why people settle for what Mgmt. will give them unless it's the very best in their line of work...and even then they can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. From what I've learned here about alot of things at O and what I know from the X-O guys that Yellow has hired, I really can't imagine what they tell you guys to make some of you want to resist the Teamsters so bad. It all seems like an easy choice to me......settle for what they'll give you or have a say in what you'll get and not have to worry about what your supervisor thinks of your choice.
well done /said stldude:clap: :bigmouth: :clap: :clap:

BUTTONMAN74 said:
not really,just alot of 'heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friends t/m who said you/we were messin around':
I'D better stop,dvr49 will wanna fire me
:nutkick: :biglaugh::rofl2: :rofl2: I'S sorry bossman,yes bossman.'your fired,and sentenced to siberia'

Skeeter said:
You guys are acting like you make so much more than us. That's funny since you barely moved ahead of us with your last raise.
UPS will change the delay and weather delay pay. Then you will have nothing to offer us. You barely do now.
I don't recall anybody saying we made so much more than you. However, even a little more is more.
Was it in the new Rulebook that UPSF will change the delay and weather pay? Did the new Rulebook give you guys a grievance process for when one of the bosses breaks the rules? Is there someone who will go to bat for any of you when you're fired for a not good enough reason? Remember, Human Resources is a dept. of the Company. Do you like paying for your health benefits? Did the new Rulebook change to give you guys full pay once the 4 hour delay in pay is over? Skeet,
It'll be a cold day in hell when UPSF does all these things on their own, but you guys have the power to do it yourselves right now. But then again, if you're totally happy with whatever UPSF decides you should and shouldn't have from now on I guess we have nothing to offer.

Johnnybegood said:
True, but that's what collective bargaining is all about....give and take. And, it's not just a set of Company made rules that they can break as they see fit without recourse. Finally, we have our Reps. negotiate with the Companies and we vote on whether or not to accept our contracts. For a measly 13 or 14 dollars per week in dues it's definitely a no brainer unless you're content to have the Company dictate to you what you should and shouldn't have. Do you really think that they're more concerned about you when they create a Rulebook or are they more concerned about the Company?

UPSF_glad, The negotiations are done by the union negotiating comittee. There may be some Overnite people on it but it's mostly Union men from the IBT

In cases like this, initiation fees are usually waived as an incentive to get you to vote yes. Monthly dues are really a non-issue. I pay about $50 a month but I make about $1.00 more per hour than the Overnite guys do, I get overtime sooner and and have healthcare that is paid 100% by the company.
When you look at it that way, $50 a month is a small price to pay for what we get with that money

stldude44 said:
True, but that's what collective bargaining is all about....give and take. And, it's not just a set of Company made rules that they can break as they see fit without recourse. Finally, we have our Reps. negotiate with the Companies and we vote on whether or not to accept our contracts. For a measly 13 or 14 dollars per week in dues it's definitely a no brainer unless you're content to have the Company dictate to you what you should and shouldn't have. Do you really think that they're more concerned about you when they create a Rulebook or are they more concerned about the Company?
some are content to have the company dictate any/everything,thought,movement for them:boohoo: :Bondage: :hide: :bowdown: NOT ME,NOT NOW,NOT EVER!

Johnnybegood said:

Johnnybegood, there has been a lot of talk comparing pensions here and I just realized that medical benefits have never been discussed.
What type of coverage do you guys have after you retire?

CFer said:
UPSF_glad, The negotiations are done by the union negotiating comittee. There may be some Overnite people on it but it's mostly Union men from the IBT

In cases like this, initiation fees are usually waived as an incentive to get you to vote yes. Monthly dues are really a non-issue. I pay about $50 a month but I make about $1.00 more per hour than the Overnite guys do, I get overtime sooner and and have healthcare that is paid 100% by the company.
When you look at it that way, $50 a month is a small price to pay for what we get with that money
and dues are tax deductable.:smilie_132: :biglaugh: so much for the companies old:BS: about how the union just wants our money:biglaugh: