TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

BUTTONMAN74 said:
look,if somebody feels like they don't/did'nt need it for protection,think of it this way,like an insurrace policy,better to have & not need,that to need & not have ,isn't it?:tribehasspoken: :bgroovy:

With all the opinions that have floated around these boards for/against becoming Teamsters, this qoute above is neither. It is an observation. In this dog eat dog , me me me attitude generation, it is far better to have something and never need it, than to need something and never have it.

As far as dues or initiations, dues are always 2 &1/2 hours of your pay once a month, that equates to $53 right now going to $54 in June. Initiation in my local is $500 which would probably be waived for all existing members and only required of new hires in the future. My local also has a returnable $100 orientation fee. You pay the $100 and attend about 3 or 4 orientation meetings to familiarize yourself about the union and the working relationship with the involved companies. If you attend all the meetings the $100 is returned to you. If you don't attend then the $100 goes into the general fund. Dues and initiation fees are tax deductable.

As far as who will do the negotiating for you, it will be done by the Teamsters negotiating panal and not "elected" employees from the company. All the employees will do is voice thier concerns, needs, and wants to the negotiating panal and they will do the rest until everybody finds a happy place that they can be comfortable about.

stldude44 said:
True, but that's what collective bargaining is all about....give and take. And, it's not just a set of Company made rules that they can break as they see fit without recourse. Finally, we have our Reps. negotiate with the Companies and we vote on whether or not to accept our contracts. For a measly 13 or 14 dollars per week in dues it's definitely a no brainer unless you're content to have the Company dictate to you what you should and shouldn't have. Do you really think that they're more concerned about you when they create a Rulebook or are they more concerned about the Company?

Hell the difference in the money you would make just dropping and hooking(Generally you get $32.58) will pay for your dues.

serta said:
Hell the difference in the money you would make just dropping and hooking(Generally you get $32.58) will pay for your dues.
Serta,
I know.....it's so obvious to most of us that there really is no benefit to staying non Union.

stldude44 said:
Serta,
I know.....it's so obvious to most of us that there really is no benefit to staying non Union.
ONLY IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE SUCKHOLE RECIPIENTS OF FAVORITISM,and a LAZY SLUGG that they took it easy on:nutkick: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:they'll be the first ones to have problems when the whips get really cracking at upsf,UPS STYLE.

Johnnybegood said:
And settle for less is crazy we have a great pension right now ...:duh:
JBG,
I guess we'll all have to take your word on your pension plan since nobody seems to notice the posts which ask you guys to fully describe your pensions. I might agree that it was a good plan if I could ever really see what it is. The only explaination we ever get is that ...."Well, it all depends on this", or "It's really hard to figure out since you have to average your best 5 years" or whatever the formula is. Can someone figure your pension out as if your last 5 years were at $65 or $70 thousand and let us know?
Come on JBG, we're counting on you to inform us about your pension plan.

serta said:
How about one days worth of delay pay?
How about a few hours of overtime after an 8 hour day?
How about the money not paid each week for medical?
How much do you lose if a schedule gets canceled and you lose a day's pay?
Any one of these sceanrios covers your union dues, and is a good reason to consider the union.

stldude44 said:
JBG,
I guess we'll all have to take your word on your pension plan since nobody seems to notice the posts which ask you guys to fully describe your pensions. I might agree that it was a good plan if I could ever really see what it is. The only explaination we ever get is that ...."Well, it all depends on this", or "It's really hard to figure out since you have to average your best 5 years" or whatever the formula is. Can someone figure your pension out as if your last 5 years were at $65 or $70 thousand and let us know?
Come on JBG, we're counting on you to inform us about your pension plan.
YOU know,thats one thing 'O' managent can never really tell you,ask a T/M ,or benifits department person,and it's always'I don't know,I'LL get back to you on it':jerkit: never nothing stated as what is contributed per employee,and how much,how often it is contributed.never a printout/statement of any kind:BS: bet it's probably only something like a $50.00 a week,or $50.00 amonth:BS: credit.knowbody knows,knowbody knows,same old answers.had one old guy retire out of my barn,had 20/25 years union time in upstate NY pension fund,had a lot of lower contributing years,before 1979,when companies were'nt putting as much into the pension plan up here until 1979,he got around $1000.00 /$1400.00bucks a month from them,had 10 years in overnite plan,got $300.00 a month out of them,out of which he paid $175 a month for health insurrance for his wife & himself,good thing he had time in the teamsters,:bgroovy:

Hey Guys,
Can't we have an informative discussion instead of all this childlike banter!!:duh:
UPSF (aka "O" or "MC") starts tomorrow. We make .507 per mile plus .01 for triples (equal to about $5.00 per run/day - now that's worth it - right!), we pay $160 for family insurance, we have an unknown carrot out there called a pension (maybe up from our prior $412 for 20 years of service) compared to the $5.85 the UPS guys get per hour paid in. :biglaugh: We have a wage rate of $19.08 at the allotment they choose to give us. IE: We used to get 15 minutes to fuel now we get 6 minutes. Plus the hooks and drops they allow (less than before). The delay is paid at a discounted rate of $13.01 per hour after we give up the first hour - that's on each end. So instead of being paid for all the hours on the job, I am now having lots of free time of my own while I wait for my trailers to be ready to go, or while I babysit UPSF (Haz-Mat?) trailers waiting for my meet. When I call dispatch to report a delay of 1.5 hours (waiting for the meet that was delayed by probably 3 consecutive terminals) they just laugh and mark down a .5 !!! Funny thing is though, the Reno terminal is a union terminal, and the guy that waited for his trailers got paid the full time, the full rate. I hear all this talk from management about paridy and it seems as though we without representation are all taking cuts. I can hardly wait for another winter when the "hill" is closed and I sit in my truck for 4 unpaid hours waiting for the fog or snow to clear so I can get on with my job. I think the "sit back and wait and see" attitude will only show us what we already know. It's hard to trust a company to look out for my best interest when they hold all the cards and we have no say. It has been said on this forum, who will represent us in the union, just the appointed big guys? Well who do you think is representing us now? And what do we have to show for it? :pessimist: I personally do not like giving up 10 hours of pay per week and when I am paid it's at a lower rate! I figure I am loosing about $225 per week. Management tries to tell us that UPS is the very best company to work for, :Bondage: what they don't say is that without any representation we are just the step-child out there. Think about it guys, we at UPSF are not even close to getting what the UPS guys get.

WIGGLEWAGON said:
Hey Guys,
Can't we have an informative discussion instead of all this childlike banter!!
UPSF (aka "O" or "MC") starts tomorrow. We make .507 per mile plus .01 for triples (equal to about $5.00 per run/day - now that's worth it - right!), we pay $160 for family insurance, we have an unknown carrot out there called a pension (maybe up from our prior $412 for 20 years of service) compared to the $5.85 the UPS guys get per hour paid in. :biglaugh: We have a wage rate of $19.08 at the allotment they choose to give us. IE: We used to get 15 minutes to fuel now we get 6 minutes. Plus the hooks and drops they allow (less than before). The delay is paid at a discounted rate of $13.01 per hour after we give up the first hour - that's on each end. So instead of being paid for all the hours on the job, I am now having lots of free time of my own while I wait for my trailers to be ready to go, or while I babysit UPSF (Haz-Mat?) trailers waiting for my meet. When I call dispatch to report a delay of 1.5 hours (waiting for the meet that was delayed by probably 3 consecutive terminals) they just laugh and mark down a .5 !!! Funny thing is though, the Reno terminal is a union terminal, and the guy that waited for his trailers got paid the full time, the full rate. I hear all this talk from management about paridy and it seems as though we without representation are all taking cuts. I can hardly wait for another winter when the "hill" is closed and I sit in my truck for 4 unpaid hours waiting for the fog or snow to clear so I can get on with my job. I think the "sit back and wait and see" attitude will only show us what we already know. It's hard to trust a company to look out for my best interest when they hold all the cards and we have no say. It has been said on this forum, who will represent us in the union, just the appointed big guys? Well who do you think is representing us now? And what do we have to show for it? : I personally do not like giving up 10 hours pay per week and when I am paid it's at a lower rate! I figure I am loosing about $225 per week. Management tries to tell us that UPS is the very best company to work for, what they don't say is that without any representation we are just the step-child out there. Think about it guys, we at UPSF are not even close to getting what the UPS guys get.
THE TEAMSTERS are the ones that made/make'UPS A VERY GOOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR'.AND NOTHING ELSE:tribehasspoken:
UNITY,STRENGTH,PRIDE,DIGNITY,RESPECT,OH YA,:duh:AND THIS.$$$$$$$$$$$$:cool:

Teamster251 said:
OK DY Your pension is so great compared to ours.
Let's here about it.

List it postive, what it brings to the table, how its paid, when its paid, who is paying in to it and how much.

Come on, yiou say it great let here it

Oh yea like yours is totally secure. I got some ocean front property to sell you.:duh:

BUTTONMAN74 said:
ONLY IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE SUCKHOLE RECIPIENTS OF FAVORITISM,and a LAZY SLUGG that they took it easy on:nutkick: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:they'll be the first ones to have problems when the whips get really cracking at upsf,UPS STYLE.

This needs deleting.

WIGGLEWAGON said:
Hey Guys,
Can't we have an informative discussion instead of all this childlike banter!!:duh:
UPSF (aka "O" or "MC") starts tomorrow. We make .507 per mile plus .01 for triples (equal to about $5.00 per run/day - now that's worth it - right!), we pay $160 for family insurance, we have an unknown carrot out there called a pension (maybe up from our prior $412 for 20 years of service) compared to the $5.85 the UPS guys get per hour paid in. :biglaugh: We have a wage rate of $19.08 at the allotment they choose to give us. IE: We used to get 15 minutes to fuel now we get 6 minutes. Plus the hooks and drops they allow (less than before). The delay is paid at a discounted rate of $13.01 per hour after we give up the first hour - that's on each end. So instead of being paid for all the hours on the job, I am now having lots of free time of my own while I wait for my trailers to be ready to go, or while I babysit UPSF (Haz-Mat?) trailers waiting for my meet. When I call dispatch to report a delay of 1.5 hours (waiting for the meet that was delayed by probably 3 consecutive terminals) they just laugh and mark down a .5 !!! Funny thing is though, the Reno terminal is a union terminal, and the guy that waited for his trailers got paid the full time, the full rate. I hear all this talk from management about paridy and it seems as though we without representation are all taking cuts. I can hardly wait for another winter when the "hill" is closed and I sit in my truck for 4 unpaid hours waiting for the fog or snow to clear so I can get on with my job. I think the "sit back and wait and see" attitude will only show us what we already know. It's hard to trust a company to look out for my best interest when they hold all the cards and we have no say. It has been said on this forum, who will represent us in the union, just the appointed big guys? Well who do you think is representing us now? And what do we have to show for it? :pessimist: I personally do not like giving up 10 hours of pay per week and when I am paid it's at a lower rate! I figure I am loosing about $225 per week. Management tries to tell us that UPS is the very best company to work for, :Bondage: what they don't say is that without any representation we are just the step-child out there. Think about it guys, we at UPSF are not even close to getting what the UPS guys get.

Who do you work for. Those aren't the wages Overnite pays. Oh unless you are not up to full scale. I think we have a long way to go to even deserve the wages UPS gets.

I look around at our dock and workers I can't believe the things they get away with. The work they don't do. No I think we have to do a lot of cleaning house then talk about more money.

I've worked at System 99 years ago so I know first hand how the union barns work. There was team work and every one pulled together. They was paid good and worked good. There was a couple that didn't pull their wait but not many.

Now we have a bunch of kids that have no work ethic and do more damage and hiding then work. No I say fix all the problems then talk about more money.

Exactly my point. They talk about paridy and yet there is still a different pay scale for UPSF (formally 'O') and UPSF (formally 'MC').
Five years working, west coast MC not O. We MC were told we only get 6 minutes to fuel because that's what the O guys were getting. And Etc............:shrug:

:
WIGGLEWAGON said:
Exactly my piont. They talk about paridy and yet there is still a different pay scale for UPSF (formally 'O') and UPSF (formally 'MC').
Five years working, west coast MC not O. We MC were told we only get 6 minutes to fuel because that's what the O guys were getting. And Etc............:
can we all say 'TEAMSTERS NATIONAL MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT'?,HELL YES:bgroovy: :cool: :highfive::funky:

Paid for drops, hooks, fuel, wash truck, wait for load, unpassable hiway, detour miles, time in shop, paid if passed over by a junior man,overtime after 8, time & 1/2 For Sat., double time for Sun., and it's all paid at scale....not some arbitrary reduced rate.

Skeeter said:
Oh yea like yours is totally secure. I got some ocean front property to sell you.:duh:
Skeeter,
Nobody is bashing your pension here.....we just would like to know what it really is. JBG stated that it's about the same as ours, but nobody seems to know just exactly what it is. Buttonman said they won't really tell you what the pension is all about. I'm starting to believe that since nobody seems to be able to post just what the pension is.