TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

Animo916 said:
Just fine wise guy. I haven't lost a day of work, or health benefits, or pension contributions since Preston closed. If you have nothing intelligent to add, then keep your thoughts to yourself.

how many working teamsters is it taking to finance your retirement right now? i've read where its been increasing year after year due to the shut downs and closures of all the unionized carriers. let me guess, you dont care because you got yours? i've read some of the posts over at teamster.net, you think teamster can get irrate when they are on strike, but that aint nothing when they fight amongst themselves over money and retirement..

:chairshot:

Proud Overniter said:
(i'm a manager, i'm a suck up, i'm blowing leo suggs, etc etc etc)
PO,
We could've guessed all that.
Unless UPS intends to shut down UPSF your question about how the contracts are that covered the hardworking Teamsters of Preston and CF is senseless. Anyone who has paid any attention at all to those shutdowns knows they were done on purpose. If you really are a proud O Mgr. I'm surprised to hear you more or less suggest that when UPSF goes Union you might not survive. Will your customers leave you when the hard workers of UPSF join the Teamsters? If you provide a good service I think you'll be fine, don't you? The scare tactics you attempt to use on your own workforce are old and tired and the UPSF workers aren't listening to it anymore. You should probably be watching your own back....it's a new day and there's a new Sheriff in town....and he wears Brown. Managers are a dime a dozen.....good dockhands and especially good CDL drivers aren't.....and Brown knows it.....be careful.

stldude44 said:
PO,
We could've guessed all that.
Unless UPS intends to shut down UPSF your question about how the contracts are that covered the hardworking Teamsters of Preston and CF is senseless. Anyone who has paid any attention at all to those shutdowns knows they were done on purpose. If you really are a proud O Mgr. I'm surprised to hear you more or less suggest that when UPSF goes Union you might not survive. Will your customers leave you when the hard workers of UPSF join the Teamsters? If you provide a good service I think you'll be fine, don't you? The scare tactics you attempt to use on your own workforce are old and tired and the UPSF workers aren't listening to it anymore. You should probably be watching your own back....it's a new day and there's a new Sheriff in town....and he wears Brown. Managers are a dime a dozen.....good dockhands and especially good CDL drivers aren't.....and Brown knows it.....be careful.

the scac code for UPS Freight is UPGF, FYI...

and talk about tired old arguements? yeah, watch your back, blah blah blah what next, watch your review mirror when driving at night? watch your house when a carload of teamsters drive by? i worked the field during the strike in 99, and saw all the scare tactics, i remember this bearded snaggled tooth teamster doing a rolling picket behind us in st louis and bridgeton driving this beautiful old red ford falcon (i think it was a ford falcon), what an idiot, using a car like that to picket with, but its the teamster mindset...
and yes, it was a big conspiracy to shut down the teamster carriers through the years, paying people for 8 hour days to do 2 hours worth of work had nothing to do with it....you forgot about the black helicopters and trilateral commision and ronald reagan...yep, companies were shut down on purpose...thats how you make your profits and grow your market share, by shutting down trucking companies...
where did you get your MBA? i know some investors that would love to invest in a company whose business plan is based on shutting down companies
:biglaugh:

Proud Overniter said:
so to what do you credit the falling % of the work force that is represented by unions?

so if you cant rebut my position, just tell me to keep my mouth shut? i thought this thread was about unions, and should UPGF go union? well, i'm just offering a differnt take, and you tell me to keep my mouth shut...maybe thatswhy you do need a union, because you dont know how to think on your own and you therefore need the union to think for you???

:wavey:

Why do you think your wages are where they are today? If all union carriers go out of business,bend over,get ready...the guide for non-union truckers will be history,you thought outsourcing jobs was a problem. Your company will not pay you for voting non union anymore so bend over :eck13:

Corn Bread said:
Why do you think your wages are where they are today? If all union carriers go out of bussiness,bend over,get ready...the guide for non-union truckers will be history,you thought outsourceing jobs was a problem. Your company will not pay you for voting non union anymore so bend over :eck13:

again, why is the % of union workers of the american workforce decreasing year after year? if having that union contract is so awesome,why arent people signing those card right and left??? we know the unions hire the brightest and smartest so you know its not their fault .........:biglaugh:

Proud Overniter said:
again, why is the % of union workers of the american workforce decreasing year after year? if having that union contract is so awesome,why arent people signing those card right and left??? we know the unions hire the brightest and smartest so you know its not their fault .........:biglaugh:

I will try to explain this in terms you might understand...globalization! Illegal Immigration. I might add this is not also limited to loss of unions but all americans jobs in general.

PO,
The 2 Teamster Companies you referred to were definitely shut down on purpose and you know it. Yellow never really wanted Preston or Reeves. They only wanted Saia and Smalley. CF was closed so CCX could flourish. We weren't talking about the others that have closed.
Also, I wasn't talking about watching your back from anyone but Brown.....don't try to turn it into a strike issue.

Proud Overniter said:
so to what do you credit the falling % of the work force that is represented by unions?

If you did some research, you would actually see that even with the decline in the number of Teamsters, union membership across the country is actually on the rise.

so if you cant rebut my position, just tell me to keep my mouth shut? i thought this thread was about unions, and should UPGF go union? well, i'm just offering a differnt take, and you tell me to keep my mouth shut...
:wavey:[/

I did rebut your position. You asked how my contract was working for me and I answered you honestly and completely. What are you implying that I didn't answer? All I added was that your comment was not an intelligent comment and therefore to keep similar comments to yourself. You offer what different take? That companies go out of business? That happens everyday, and it isn't just at union jobs. Unfortunately , people like yourself, that are so antiunion, wouldn't recognize that fact even after it hit you in the face. As I've said in many posts before this one, I have worked on both sides of the fence.

maybe thatswhy you do need a union, because you dont know how to think on your own and you therefore need the union to think for you???

Gee, how original is this statement? Heard it when I worked nonunion from management, heard it from about a dozen or so union bashers, and now I hear it from you. Who actually put that ORIGINAL thought into your head?

I personally don't need anyone to Think or Speak for me per se, but I do have the knowledge and the wisdom to realize that alone my voice will go unheard or be ignored, but with many voices saying the same thing, I know we will be heard.

how many working teamsters is it taking to finance your retirement right now? i've read where its been increasing year after year due to the shut downs and closures of all the unionized carriers.

You've read this....you've heard that....link me to the source of your readings. If you knew anything about Teamster pensions you would realize that I am working to pay my own retirement. I get frequent printouts from my local showing me how many hours I worked per month and how much money Big R contributed to MY pension on MY behalf. And just for the record. How do you think any pension or retirement plan works? When old blood leaves, new blood has to come in to keep the cycle going. It works the same way for my pension, your pension, even social security. I love how you guys always say, I heard this or I read this. Well let me just say that if you haven't lived it or experienced it firsthand, don't spread hearsay. My Grandpappy taught me a valuable life lesson....don't believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see. I suggest you do likewise.

let me guess, you dont care because you got yours?

I don't have it yet, but I do know that my local has the funds to pay every member what they have earned up till this point, even if contributions stopped today. And I do care, because there are many Brothers just starting that want to realize the same dream(s) that I am living.

i've read some of the posts over at teamster.net, you think teamster can get irrate when they are on strike, but that aint nothing when they fight amongst themselves over money and retirement.

That's the first true statement you've made. I witness it every month at my union meetings. It is because we are a passionate bunch and feel deeply about things that affect us. It is also one of the reasons we have meetings....to keep everyone informed. What would happen if UPSF employees were to hold an unauthorized meeting amongst themselves? My guess is you'd all be looking for new jobs.

Corn Bread said:
I will try to explain this in terms you might understand...globalization! Illegal Immigration. I might add this is not also limited to loss of unions but all americans jobs in general.

but your beloved unions are among those wanting amnesty for illegal, know why? because it will increase wages, and since most union wages are pegged to min wages, it increases union wages...its not about humanitarian aid, its about greed for its members and union bosses. d

and globalization, are you saying if GM is making a crappy car, and XYZ Car Co in Foreignland is making a better car at a better price, the American consumer should be prohibited from buying that car and forced to buy the overpriced American car?

i dont get the union and liberal mindset...they vote for tax increases, wacked out environmental regulations, govt regulation, bureacracy, on and on and on......then they scratch their heads and are upset when US companies cant compete and are forced to move manufacturing out of the country.....:duh:

Animo916 said:
If you did some research, you would actually see that even with the decline in the number of Teamsters, union membership across the country is actually on the rise.

private sector or govt employees?? thats just what the taxpayors need..... govt employment attracts the laziest of all workers, and govt employee unions work hard to protect that laziness.....

care to differentiate between the decrease in % of union workers in the private sector vs govt employees???

Proud Overniter said:
but your beloved unions are among those wanting amnesty for illegal, know why? because it will increase wages, and since most union wages are pegged to min wages, it increases union wages...its not about humanitarian aid, its about greed for its members and union bosses. d

and globalization, are you saying if GM is making a crappy car, and XYZ Car Co in Foreignland is making a better car at a better price, the American consumer should be prohibited from buying that car and forced to buy the overpriced American car?

i dont get the union and liberal mindset...they vote for tax increases, wacked out environmental regulations, govt regulation, bureacracy, on and on and on......then they scratch their heads and are upset when US companies cant compete and are forced to move manufacturing out of the country.....:duh:

man your a pure example of a wacked out neoliberal. since you have a hard on for unions...if the unions were history...and big "O" says your wages are enough and we are cutting them what would you do??:duh:

Corn Bread said:
man your a pure example of a wacked out neoliberal. since you have a hard on for unions...if the unions were history...and big "O" says your wages are enough and we are cutting them what would you do??:duh:

update my resume and hit the job market........or explore going into business for myself.....

i dont have a hard on for unions, there a time and a place for them...but as i originally stated, for many years now they have failed to adjust to our global economy and have stayed stuck in the 1950s and 1960s......and you today are seeing the result of that mindset with the problems Detroit is having, the airlines are having, manufacturing, etc.......as I stated, its the CONSUMER who pays that union salary you demand, and if the company cant compete with the union workrules and costing that are placed on a company, the CONSUMER will look elsewhere....see GM, Ford, etc....

Proud Overniter said:
and you never answered my questions, you believe the american consumer should be denied as many choices as the market will allow????
PO,
We have a Politics Forum listed above the Trucking Forums.

stldude44 said:
PO,

i am not the one that brought up globalization as justification for unions........

you werent that guy driving that falcon were you???????

stldude44 said:
PO,

actually, wouldnt a discussion about globalization be about economics? maybe you should start an economic forum......might help you unions guys better understand why unions are failing and the concept of supply vs demand??

ok, i haven't said again till now,
this change has all of us going nuts. who's going to do this, who's going to do that. are we going to get more money, are we going to get new trucks,trailers,what ever.
now here we go with the union thing again. we haven't even seen if they are going to ok or not. they may suck or they could be great, how are we going to know if we don't wait and see. give it a little while and see. i don't want to go thru the grap we did last time the union showed up. it was ugly in the fact that it didn't help us work good with each other.

Proud Overniter said:
actually, wouldnt a discussion about globalization be about economics? maybe you should start an economic forum......might help you unions guys better understand why unions are failing and the concept of supply vs demand??

I'm not sure if it would or not. I'm certain, though, that on here anyone making repeated attempts to belittle those they don't agree with aren't usually valued or respected among the other members especially when they display a better than thou/know it all attitude. You and the boys in Richmond must be getting a little nervous. I think you'll find it much easier just to accept the things you have no control over. It the UPSF workforce wants to join the Teamsters there's not one thing you can do about it.
Also, you never answered me in regards to why you seem to think that UPSF can't prosper under the NMFA. If it's a well managed Company the fact that it will be Union won't matter a bit. Your types might not be able to continue intimidating and browbeating the workers, but you'll have to get over that. Life will go on. Like I said, it'll be easier on your blood pressure if you just accept it. It's not your call this time, Mr. Mgr.