TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

Apostolic said:
I've been delivering small packages,I had a 4 lb box it had the wrong address,a regular UPS package truck could have turned around in the customers driveway and just went about 400 feet to deliver it to the right place.
Same company 2 buildings on the same street.
My route trailer is 48 feet,and I had to drive around the block,I lost about 20 minutes
I hope the UPS corperate typs get a clue about the difference between packages,and freight.
I have the honor of doing a lot of little shipments with a 48. One day I had 22 stops on and it took up only half a trailer. My braindead supervisor wanted me to take a bunch more. He said I couldn't leave with half a trailer. I told him loaded up. They come off one at a time and tomorrows another day for the crap I won't do today. He walked away pissed. I guess he thought the stuff unloaded itself!!

Apostolic said:
I've been delivering small packages,I had a 4 lb box it had the wrong address,a regular UPS package truck could have turned around in the customers driveway and just went about 400 feet to deliver it to the right place.
Same company 2 buildings on the same street.
My route trailer is 48 feet,and I had to drive around the block,I lost about 20 minutes
I hope the UPS corperate typs get a clue about the difference between packages,and freight.

Gee, and here we were assured that UPSF would not be delivering packages and taking work from UPS.

Why does this not surprise me that this is exactly what is happening.

i ordered some tools recently from northern tools. two weeks later i still haven't received my tools. i called the company and the lady entered the ups tracking number. they were delivered to some place in new york!!!!! that's the real ups!! i live in memphis tn. now, how did that happen. LOL

Palletizing Small $hit, Crap and Junk

Mike01 said:
Gee, and here we were assured that UPSF would not be delivering packages and taking work from UPS.

Why does this not surprise me that this is exactly what is happening.

To be honest with you, we have always hauled small packages. Though it seemed to have picked up as of late. A UPS CSI driver told me that anything over 150 lbs air is suppose to go to them. That said, it would not surprise me if we started to haul all the ground $hit, junk and crap shipments over 150 lbs. Trust me when I tell you, we don't need or want to haul it, and we certainly have no say in what we haul. I go down plenty of horse and buggy streets as it is with a 48 and the last thing I want is to double park and do a hug and lug to a small shop. Not to throw bombs here either, but that is the Teamsters and Big Brothers problem. Your sales people are telling shippers to palletize those small multi- package orders. And the union has done nothing if anything to stop it. There is no real way to police it either. You can look at this in a couple ways. This could take away hours and or jobs from UPS. Or this could speed up your delivery system and increase UPS's market share over FedEx and DHL because of stream lined effeciency. The bottom line here is no matter what we are told to do, we are adding to UPS's bottom line and paying your wages too.

skeeterhawk said:
i ordered some tools recently from northern tools. two weeks later i still haven't received my tools. i called the company and the lady entered the ups tracking number. they were delivered to some place in new york!!!!! that's the real ups!! i live in memphis tn. now, how did that happen. LOL
Hey skeeterhawk, it must of ended up at Memphis, NY!!! Right church, wrong pew. At least it's still in the U.S. It could have been worst, it could have ended up in Memphis, Greece. :duh:

Well said dvr49. When i was looking to leave US foodservice i had three choices aaa cooper,yellow, and overnite. Needless to say i chose overnite because aaa cooper wanted me to start on the dock and yellow told me i would have to start out casual and my week would start on friday and no benifits. At O i was hired fulltime and benifits after 90 days and started out on the road.

hugnlug said:
Skeeter, day three and all is well. Freight has taken a big jump up in the frozen barrens of N.E. Mgmt is getting their a$$es handed to them in a basket from Big Brother. Only fitting to have them squirm since Brown has given them the keys to the safe. They better run it like a freight company and turn a constant profit or they won't be hidding out here long. We were told to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Which means more new hires, equipment (rentals), new routes and line haul runs and whatever else. We are hearing of some pretty big operational changes coming next Monday. Mums the word in management. They are learning to keep their mouths shut. We think it has to do with a central dispatch system and sales. Who knows. Oh and our drive for representation, 3/4 of the barn now will vote yes. Give that till the end of the month and we should be closer to 90%. Great huh?:bgroovy:

Probably great news for Conway. They will eat our lunch with all the restrictive work rules. Just keep watching Yellow they didn't buy USF (nonunion) for the heck of it.

I think it is way to early to decide that the union is right or wrong for UPSF.

clutch cargo must be a non-union driver...the union drivers in Reno get paid for all time spent on the clock for driving, waiting and overtime...breakdowns, chaining and road closures....a mini after 14 on lay and you are on the clock after the 14th hours. what other reason do you need?

hugnlug said:
You can look at this in a couple ways. This could take away hours and or jobs from UPS. Or this could speed up your delivery system and increase UPS's market share over FedEx and DHL because of stream lined effeciency. The bottom line here is no matter what we are told to do, we are adding to UPS's bottom line and paying your wages too.

Which is all well and good, as far as increasing UPS's market share. But as it stands right now, UPS is subcontracting our work to a non-Union company, in clear violation of the contract. And in sharp contrast to what UPS was saying about the two companies being run separately

But you are right, UPSF needs to be brought under Union representation and contract. Only then will we be one big happy family

Skeeter said:
Just keep watching Yellow they didn't buy USF (nonunion) for the heck of it.

Skeeter, UFS is far from non union. Holland is 100% union and Reddaway and Bestway also have quite a few union terminals

Skeeter said:
Probably great news for Conway. They will eat our lunch with all the restrictive work rules. Just keep watching Yellow they didn't buy USF (nonunion) for the heck of it.

More illegal use of the keys without being informed. USF Reddaway also has union terminals and USF Bestway is mostly or maybe all union.:duh:

Mike01 said:
Which is all well and good, as far as increasing UPS's market share. But as it stands right now, UPS is subcontracting our work to a non-Union company, in clear violation of the contract. And in sharp contrast to what UPS was saying about the two companies being run separately

But you are right, UPSF needs to be brought under Union representation and contract. Only then will we be one big happy family
I totally understand your concern regarding UPS subbing out to a non-union company. Well then answer me this then. Is the packages being palletized at a UPS facilty and given to UPSF? No. Are the companies that UPS and UPSF picked-up at owned by any UPS Corp. or subsidary? No. Are shippers forced to use UPSF? No. Has the IBT taken a stand on this? No. If UPSF was to go union tomorrow, would this stop this kind of freight whoring? No. Why? Because this is a democracy, with independent businesses, in a free economic society who can use or drop whom ever they want, with or without a contract. Companies that ship certainly don't care who we are. They are looking at there financial bottom line too. As well as our parent company. Some of these companies spend thousands of dollars a month on shipping. To make the UPS portfolio more attractive and cost effecient to shippers, selling different shipping packages is a easy way to ensure a consistant repeat customers. Is this right? Maybe not in our eyes. But UPS is watching there bottom line too. And it does make sense too. It is better to have the whole pie, than a slice.

hugnlug said:
I totally understand your concern regarding UPS subbing out to a non-union company. Well then answer me this then. Is the packages being palletized at a UPS facilty and given to UPSF? No. Are the companies that UPS and UPSF picked-up at owned by any UPS Corp. or subsidary? No. Are shippers forced to use UPSF? No.

All questions that really have no bearing on my original arguement of that UPS is now taking packages, turning them into 'freight', and subcontracting the work to a non-Union company. Same packages, same shippers, but now the work, instead of being done by Teamsters, is being done by UPS's non-Union workforce. But it is not being done so much by the shippers and the choices they make. It's being done by our own sales force.

hugnlug said:
Has the IBT taken a stand on this? No.

Actually they have, at least in my mind. By starting the organizing drive at UPSF.

hugnlug said:
If UPSF was to go union tomorrow, would this stop this kind of freight whoring? No. Why? Because this is a democracy, with independent businesses, in a free economic society who can use or drop whom ever they want, with or without a contract. Companies that ship certainly don't care who we are. They are looking at there financial bottom line too. As well as our parent company. Some of these companies spend thousands of dollars a month on shipping. To make the UPS portfolio more attractive and cost effecient to shippers, selling different shipping packages is a easy way to ensure a consistant repeat customers. Is this right? Maybe not in our eyes. But UPS is watching there bottom line too. And it does make sense too. It is better to have the whole pie, than a slice.

Now we are talking a whole different ballgame as far as UPSF going Union. UPS has actually been in the 'freight' business for a long time now. By purchasing Overnite, they can only increase their presence in the freight industry, something I have always said they should have done years ago.

It only makes good business sense to offer more and more of a 'one stop shipping' option to the customers. What ever the shipper has, we can handle it, either through UPS or UPSF. It can only increase the market share for both companies.

But do not do it at the expense of the Teamster workforce that has helped make UPS what it is today. Bring UPSF under contract, and do it soon, and we, both UPS and UPSF, will show the shipping world how it's supposed to be done.

Mike01 said:
But do not do it at the expense of the Teamster workforce that has helped make UPS what it is today. Bring UPSF under contract, and do it soon, and we, both UPS and UPSF, will show the shipping world how it's supposed to be done.

So much has been gained at the expense of our teamster backs, some are grateful some are not. I believe one way or another, UPSF will be a mean lean freight machine. Your going to have to do it their way, so why wouldn't you take the perks and protection?

webidiot said:
clutch cargo must be a non-union driver...the union drivers in Reno get paid for all time spent on the clock for driving, waiting and overtime...breakdowns, chaining and road closures....a mini after 14 on lay and you are on the clock after the 14th hours. what other reason do you need?
You guys are the smart ones up there, us down south and everywhere else are on the take it or leave it pay plan.

serta said:
So much has been gained at the expense of our teamster backs, some are grateful some are not. I believe one way or another, UPSF will be a mean lean freight machine. Your going to have to do it their way, so why wouldn't you take the perks and protection?
1 BILLION % IN AGREEMENT,AMEN,brother,it's been long overdue here!:tribehasspoken: :smilie_132: :cool:WE NEED IT & WANT IT!

Skeeter said:

SKEET,how do you figure 'they'll eat our lunch'?,GET RID OF THE MISFITS IN MANAGMENT AT 'o', AND SOME OF THE DEAD WEIGHT SLUGS,and run it like a real company.things will be excellent.all the 'restrictive work rules' are exactly what they are,a myty by big 'O's' MANEGMENT.how come companies are thriving & making it,especially in this economy,under such rules.companies like YELLOW,ROADWAY,NEW PENN,HOLLAND,REDDAWAY,BESTWAY,ABF,AND ALVAN. they got smarter & learned how to change with times and adapt.something 'O's' MANEGMENT could never,and would never do.'BROWN'S' calling the shot's now,and everyone better believe that heads will roll I :cool: :bgroovy: :wavey: faxed copies of the UPS FREIGHT'S 'employee handbook' to the INTERNATIONAL. don't be to surprised if SUGGS & pals 'GET RETIRED' in a little bit down the road.the part about 'UPS FREIGHT'S PHILOSOPHY REGARDING UNION'S' & 'at wil employement' are being brought up at the early negoitiations with UPS right now.one has to wonder if ESKEW knew of this,if so,okay'd it,to then use it as an excuse to dump SUGG'S and co. for breach of contract.or if ESKEW really does'nt know anything of it.I'M sure either way,it's gonna cause friction,and he will claim ignorance either way.the woman in the reasearch department said she never saw an employee handbook 'regarding a companies philosaphy on unions'.she said it was like a cult,someone like JIM JONES brainwashing people,how true it is.

Mike01 said:
All questions that really have no bearing on my original arguement of that UPS is now taking packages, turning them into 'freight', and subcontracting the work to a non-Union company. Same packages, same shippers, but now the work, instead of being done by Teamsters, is being done by UPS's non-Union workforce. But it is not being done so much by the shippers and the choices they make. It's being done by our own sales force.

Many years ago, UPS asked and pleaded with shippers to take "freight" off the pallets and feed the Brown machine. As novel as the hundreth weight program was at the time, it did have some major drawbacks. Damages, shortages, etc. Now sales are telling customers to put it back on wood and we'll haul it. Like I said, thats Corporate talking. We are by legal terms, a UPS company, not sub-contractors. Subs do not work for the corporation. We have no say in what we haul. And as far as the Teamsters addressing this situation immediately. I can't see how organizing us is going to halt these business practices. I guess when we do become union, if there is any kind of layoff due to lack of work (very unlikely) at UPS, you can get on over here. Just tell all the brothers and sisters at Brown this. We appreciate being given a second life with UPS. And most are entertaining if not bitting at the bit to join the IBT. But at the same time, do not get P.O.'d if things take time to manifest. Afterall our Father was a good ole boy hayseed, and our new Step Dad is Dracula!!! We will get'r'done and become Teamsters and hopefully opened the door for FDX, CNF, R&L and ODFL to follow suit.