XPO | What can a newbie expect?

SwampBuck

TB Lurker
Credits
There is an add for Con-way in Manchester, NH. I dont have my CDL but will very soon and I also have 3yrs experience on a fork truck and clamp truck. Does Con-way take people fresh out of truck driving school? Do you get paid the same whether if your working the docks or driving? Personally, I dont mind loading and unloading trucks. What is the starting rate for Con-way drivers? 8hr shifts? steady work?

SwampBuck said:
There is an add for Con-way in Manchester, NH. I dont have my CDL but will very soon and I also have 3yrs experience on a fork truck and clamp truck. Does Con-way take people fresh out of truck driving school? Do you get paid the same whether if your working the docks or driving? Personally, I dont mind loading and unloading trucks. What is the starting rate for Con-way drivers? 8hr shifts? steady work?

Yes they can but its up to the term manager and varies from place to place. We just hired a guy right out of school. But they wont even let you apply if you dont have hazmat and combination endorsements. I would definately apply, you have a good chance. Dock/city driving pays 17.80 and road mileage pays .399. Top pay (5 yrs) is 22.50 and .53 ish. The first year will be on call, all shifts. Might get 25 hrs in slow season and 60 during busy season.

Man, I have 3 kids, and would love to get in with them, but I cannot afford to work 25hours and raise a family. If they offered a full time job Id love to join them.

SwampBuck said:
Man, I have 3 kids, and would love to get in with them, but I cannot afford to work 25hours and raise a family. If they offered a full time job Id love to join them.

When you start you have to start from the bottom... Best thing to do would be to talk to Con-way Drivers and ask them what realistically you would be working as far as hours... You start on the Flex board without a steady schedule and over time(Depending on the Terminal) you move into bid schedules...

SwampBuck said:

On the positive side, you'll get a new truck. New policy as of Thursday is that the shortest runs get the newest trucks. XGO said that they bought these new trucks and cannot believe that we are actually driving them. They are getting to many miles on them, so they go on the shortest runs now and the old ones go on the longest runs. This is a transportation company (emphasize on transportation) we drive. Imagine that one. It would like a restaurant owner complaining that he had to actually buy food to sell to his customers. Heck I thought the customers just gave us the money for the heck of it. So now the older trucks that are all ready pushing 700 thousand to a million miles will wear out even quicker.. NICE, and management wants to know why there is so much animosity. So next year if you want a newer truck you have to bid shortest to longest run. Time for some more mint julep flavored xgo kool aid.