SAIA | What can I expect?

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
Well, I'm taking the plunge, and switching from city to linehaul. The big daddy in LH is putting on 5 out of our barn. Three singles and two to form a team.

Since I ain't got much 'perience in road drivin (just weekend turns to pick up extra $$$$) what kinda routine should I expect?

Here's what I do know: My first week is with a trainer. The one I'm riding with does a 600 mile turn 5 nights (Mon-Fri). I ran the same turn on Saturdays for about 3 months in the summer of 05, so that isn't a problem. I anticipate being on my own after Christmas.

The question before this great body is: What should I prepare for as a system driver and how should I prepare for the change from days to mostly nights?

BTW, driving experiece is not an issue, 20+ years of that. Just have done city work for all but 6 months

Well, I'm taking the plunge, and switching from city to linehaul. The big daddy in LH is putting on 5 out of our barn. Three singles and two to form a team.

Since I ain't got much 'perience in road drivin (just weekend turns to pick up extra $$$$) what kinda routine should I expect?

Here's what I do know: My first week is with a trainer. The one I'm riding with does a 600 mile turn 5 nights (Mon-Fri). I ran the same turn on Saturdays for about 3 months in the summer of 05, so that isn't a problem. I anticipate being on my own after Christmas.

The question before this great body is: What should I prepare for as a system driver and how should I prepare for the change from days to mostly nights?

BTW, driving experiece is not an issue, 20+ years of that. Just have done city work for all but 6 months

:Zzzz: <---just sometimes more of this:hysterical:

What to expect?

As a system driver you will go out on Mon nite most likely. Maybe some Sundays. Be prepared (Clothes, food, and moneywise) to stay out all week. I bought an 18 or 20 can thermoelectric cooler and took food with me. Eating out all week can be cost prohibitive. Get an AC/DC converter for the Motel rooms.If yiu want to make better money you have to be politly aggresive with Central and local dispatches. If you have hours and miles available, let them know. I was a system driver about a year. Now I can hold a bid. Not alot of miles but I'm home, more to ride my scooter ,and see my family. If you have any ? look me up. You should be able to figure out who I am.

biker2bee are you limited to what kind of cb equipment you run in your truck? all saia has is volvo&quot;s right? where you out of?

Beginning 3rd day of training. The first was the toughest because of the sleep issue. That was expected. Now that I'm able to sleep during the day, things are a little easier. I thought that there wasn't much other than the paperwork to learn, well..........that ain't necessarily so. I've got a good trainer and he has a good turn that is 10 1/2 hour run. I've run it on weekends, but is a whole different ballgame during the weeknights.

Well, biker2bee pretty much covered it all. And being from your area, I'm sure his info is more accurate. But I will add my 2 cents. Be prepared to run 6 dispatches before seeing home. They say you have to run 5, but this is not on paper anywhere. He is also correct about being firm with central if you want more miles. Tell them you want to run. NEVER take any crap from a local dispatcher. Most of them are bothered by you. They will send you to the motel just to use your truck for their city operation. NEVER take their word on this unless you know that your time is about up for the day. If not, call central and see if they can use you anywhere. Also, when in the motel, never assume that they know you are there and that they will call you. YOU have to be proactive. Start calling after about 9 hrs. Bug them to death if you have to. I have found for the most part that central respects you and treats you pretty good, while the local operations think you are dirt and treat you like a JB Hunt driver. Just some of my thoughts. I've been doing this 12 years and still ain't used to the hours. Good Luck.

CB

10 Speed, I've never heard anyone say we were limited on cb stuff. I just run ny Galaxy with a Francis ant. City drivers tend to do a little landscaping and knock ants, off. All our road stuff is Volvo's.

Done with training

Well,
What an eventful week. Billy Big Rigger was right about sleep. There is never enough. I'm still trying to figure that one out. If I can find a way to make darkness during the middle of the day that problem may solve itself. Kinda weird though, finished Sat a.m and went home and got an hour nap, had to go back to the terminal to find the cell phone and wound up staying up until almost midnight processing all the terminal directions and other paperwork I received.

The trainer was extremely thorough and tough. By Thursday I was seriously considering going back into the city and even if it meant being on the bottom of the senority roster doing so. But, I'm past that and looking forward to bigger and better things.

I guess as a side benefit and perhaps a look at things to come I experienced an extremely diminished appetite and lost almost 10 pounds this week.

Trust me (where have you heard that from??)You'll get used to it after about a few weeks.Sleep will be easier.Remember, if you need ,Pull off and take a power nap.No freight is worth dying for.

Trust me (where have you heard that from??)You'll get used to it after about a few weeks.Sleep will be easier.Remember, if you need ,Pull off and take a power nap.No freight is worth dying for.

I was told that on several occasions. A short nap is always acceptable if the other choice is a wreck.

Trainer

BT, Don't worry about Slow Hand, he's just a hard core Saia company man. He probably bleeds red with a streak of yellow in it.

Slow Hand

I'm beginning to hear he is tough on everybody. That first week is disorienting enough without trying to figure out what to do and what not to do and add 618 miles per night. :order:

Second week

Got sent to LAR via AUS. Returned to SAN to bed first day after New Year's day. Next day HRL via CCI and back to SAN. Third day HRL turn. Finally, DLS via HST. I gotta get some stock in Holiday Inn.

Sleep got better as the week went on and I learned what worked and didn't as far as being ready for bed. Still hard to stay awake in the 4:30 am to 6:30 am time slot.

Deer hunting with a truck

Took a wrong turn and went down an unintended route (wasn't out of route, just not the best choice) and almost had an opportunity to bag 3 or 4 does and one buck using the big red machine. A lot closer than I wanted.

They did respond really well to the truck horn though.:smilie_132:

10 Speed, I've never heard anyone say we were limited on cb stuff. I just run ny Galaxy with a Francis ant. City drivers tend to do a little landscaping and knock ants, off. All our road stuff is Volvo's.

There is something about having to go into those tree lined residental neighborhoods and office parks that causes that to happen.

Are you running your own coax????,most Volvo's we ever had.the coax through the dash wasn't worth a damn.Any help????I usually ran a vise girp with a 4 foot francis& 18 feet of co-ax:chairshot:

I've seen coax routed via the passenger door, under the cab, and to a reinforcement brace behind the fairing above the cab. Makes a great place to permanently attach the antenna. Plus the antenna is somewhat protected by the fairing.

Are you running your own coax????,most Volvo's we ever had.the coax through the dash wasn't worth a damn.Any help????I usually ran a vise girp with a 4 foot francis& 18 feet of co-ax:chairshot:
I'm currently using the stock ant. and coax, which I have never, ever done before. This is with a Galaxy DX45MP and the SWR is right-on and sounds very good. Was assigned new truck a few months ago and have just been too lazy to put my own coax and Francis on. Sounds fine the way it is, so I won't mess with it.