TForce | What do we do with these old ovnt lovers now that we are UPS Freight ?

Anybody running for the top spot of the United States President can promise everything we all want to hear.
But after they are elected getting their promise passed through the congress is another story.

To all you good fellas that forgot how it came to pass that we were purchased by the beloved UPS. It was the sweat of everyones brow that worked for the Big "O". Making it one of the best LTL companies in the country. UPS buy's winners not losers. So to all you cry babies that keep whining about how bad Overnite was; Just remember they are the reason you are working for UPS now.

Good post crisscross38 this is a very good observation on your part.
Overnite was the best choice for UPS when they were in the market to purchase an LTL Freight trucking company.
I can rememeber when UPS was first interested in buying Overnite.
It was right after Union Pacific bought us.
UP was asking to much money for UPS to buy us back then.
After that point in time Mr.Hofffa Jr. did his part to devalue Overnite with the 3 year strike action.
Overnite got away from UP,and went public with thier stock,a short while later UPS jumped in,and bought all of the stock.
now we are all UPSer's.

So like you've pointed out crisscross38 if we were such a crummy company who knows if we'd still be hauling freight anymore at all.

To all you good fellas that forgot how it came to pass that we were purchased by the beloved UPS. It was the sweat of everyones brow that worked for the Big "O". Making it one of the best LTL companies in the country. UPS buy's winners not losers. So to all you cry babies that keep whining about how bad Overnite was; Just remember they are the reason you are working for UPS now.

The reason UPS bought ovnt was because they knew they would buy good will with there cash cow, UPS Teamsters.

Probaly a combination, they used us as a bargaining chip to get out of the teamster pension and save billions.

We were in the right place at the right time.

In my opinion UPS spazz out, thiking Fed-ex was moving ahead of them, they had to buy a LTL company quickly, O was avilible,so they bought them, over pay in my opinion. Worked for better LTL company's that have closed there doors,

Well I would agree with your statement partially, maybe some on this board believe "O" was a bad place to work for, I would not say that. I think alot of the old timers would agree that the majority of the issues we face now came about over the last 4-5 years, or better yet scince the buyout.

Good post crisscross38 this is a very good observation on your part.
Overnite was the best choice for UPS when they were in the market to purchase an LTL Freight trucking company.
I can rememeber when UPS was first interested in buying Overnite.
It was right after Union Pacific bought us.
UP was asking to much money for UPS to buy us back then.
After that point in time Mr.Hofffa Jr. did his part to devalue Overnite with the 3 year strike action.
Overnite got away from UP,and went public with thier stock,a short while later UPS jumped in,and bought all of the stock.
now we are all UPSer's.

So like you've pointed out crisscross38 if we were such a crummy company who knows if we'd still be hauling freight anymore at all.

UPS wanted a cheap, big company, UPS is also sueing the railway or was sueing for broken time intervals, and overpricing, consider me a conspirator if you will, but I think the reasons they bought "O" was as follows.

1. "O" was a very big and cheap company in comparison to others of same size and coverage, without the added redundancy ( Conway for example). UPS ALLREADY HAD SCS. ALL THEY NEEDED WAS A TRUCKING COMPANY.
2. What a better way for the railway to avoid a lawsuit from UPS by offering a cheap stock option.

It was a "GOLFCART CONSPIRACY". Just that simple. Of coarse I was not there at purchase, but makes alot of scence.

Probaly a combination, they used us as a bargaining chip to get out of the teamster pension and save billions.

We were in the right place at the right time.

You got that right. It was a win win situation for both the Teamsters and the Company. The central states fund needed help it is not in the best of shape. The UPSF workers need cotract language. With all the take aways and not being sure what would be next UPSF workers need a contract.

In my opinion UPS spazz out, thiking Fed-ex was moving ahead of them, they had to buy a LTL company quickly, O was avilible,so they bought them, over pay in my opinion. Worked for better LTL company's that have closed there doors,

Yes, UPS wanted to get into ltl. But the picture is much bigger than that and UPS new exactly what they were doing. UPS did not want to buy a union company that had the NMFA. Ups wanted to mold their own contract in order to still be competitive. UPS has wanted and tried to buy out of the Central States Pension funds for over 10 years now. What a perfect company to buy to obtain their goals. This was a plan long before we even new that UPS was going to buy "O"

"What do we do with the old ovnt lovers now that we are UPS Freight?"

NOTHING AT ALL!

Overnite is no longer....you are UPS Freight, and will now move on to a new adventure in your life. It does not matter if you were pro or con on the Union issue!

What matters now is, now that you are Union, what are you gonna do with it? Your Union is only as strong as you are. Are you gonna stand up and enforce your new contracts, or run and hide when there is a confrintation on the dock conerning a workplace problem as many did in the past?

Some of the biggest supporters of this new UPS Freight movement were from workers who wanted NOTHING to do with the IBT before 2005. Now they have seen the advantage of working with one of, if not the biggest Teamster employer in the USA!

Time for you to get yours....enjoy it....many of you fought a long hard battle to get this!......just my 2 miles worth......KK

fedex has been ahead of ups in every way....how hard is it to get a box from point a to point b....you think they were trying to program the space shuttle...
Fedex might be ahead of UPS freight, but not the parcel div.we make delivery's to the local parcel(like everyone else)an they have told me that the USPO an Fedex dorp package's off at there terminal for delivery,UPS goes to a lot more place's
An when i say better Co. as someone said before there is no accountability for anything in this company.But something tells me it's coming very soon,UPS runs a tight ship,Overnite was a very loose ship,in my opinion O was scared to death of the union an let a lot of things go, guess what the union here, an i can see by reading these boards, some of the long time overnite people are not going to like it,it's already starting 20 min. out the yard,sign this paper stating you under stand

Well I see this thread topic has gone up,and down with all the opinions expressed.
Don't kid yourselves into thinking the union is going to be your savior against big bad UPS Global.
You still have to follow the volums of rules we've been handed out.
Just talk to any parcel driver who always say welcome to my world.
After I get done whinning to him about all of the rules we get loaded on us freight haulers every week.

The one main issue the Teamsters are able to deal with in regards to our working conditions.
is the contract language is all the same,except for local supplements.
Its not going to be the TM's making everything their way after some rules are delt out to us.
So basicly we still have to do our jobs the way UPS wants.
the biggest difference in being union,instead of non-union.
we have a say about the fairness,of our treatment.
And no more favoritizum,everything is done by senority.
So we still have to dot all of the (I)'s,and cross all the (T)'s just as UPS says,but now we can have a voice,and not be treated like a slave to do it or else get out.