What do you dislike here.

Matt

Infamous “Beerboy”
Credits
Not sure how to get folks posting. Most the time the happier people are the less they post. In turn the less drama the less readers.

So here is my *****. There really is a lack of commutation in the world of HR. I mean horrible. Any questions I've had successfully answered are from payroll. And any phone calls have been returned by payroll. Not once a return call from HR local or national. That's crazy. Anyway I'm done (for now lol)

Sent from party row

Ok...I've been here 5 months and I'm not too happy working every weekend. My mistake for kind of thinking I'd rotate around with my hours of service and have a weekend off maybe once every few weeks. What kills that fantasy is that I'm asked to work on pickup hours instead of resetting. And I can't help but notice that senior drivers get to work and take their reset on a perfectly family friendly schedule. They never get asked to work on pickup hrs. I am now the bottom man again because the guy below me quit due to the every single weekend issue.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forum Runner

Ok...I've been here 5 months and I'm not too happy working every weekend. My mistake for kind of thinking I'd rotate around with my hours of service and have a weekend off maybe once every few weeks. What kills that fantasy is that I'm asked to work on pickup hours instead of resetting. And I can't help but notice that senior drivers get to work and take their reset on a perfectly family friendly schedule. They never get asked to work on pickup hrs. I am now the bottom man again because the guy below me quit due to the every single weekend issue.

Thats why Seniority is a good thing, you will get there.

My take on the issue isn't that seniority shouldn't be honored, it's that they abuse those who don't have any. Weekend work was discussed at my interview. Everyone agreed it would be a factor. What they didn't say outright was the fact it would be EVERY weekend. My mistake, again, was assuming that I'd work them when I had hours available. During normal hrs of service when you work your 60 or 70 and then reset, your reset days should tend to roll so that eventually you get a weekend off. They bragged that no one leaves Frito Lay, yet the 2 people hired prior to me and now the guy hired after me have all quit and went elsewhere. I have a good work ethic, I'm getting the job done. I been truckin for 25 yrs now. I know when my hrs are manipulated so that I work every weekend that it rises to the level of abuse. Which now should trigger a canned response of "just quit" if you don't like it. Maybe it's going there.

My take on the issue isn't that seniority shouldn't be honored, it's that they abuse those who don't have any. Weekend work was discussed at my interview. Everyone agreed it would be a factor. What they didn't say outright was the fact it would be EVERY weekend. My mistake, again, was assuming that I'd work them when I had hours available. During normal hrs of service when you work your 60 or 70 and then reset, your reset days should tend to roll so that eventually you get a weekend off. They bragged that no one leaves Frito Lay, yet the 2 people hired prior to me and now the guy hired after me have all quit and went elsewhere. I have a good work ethic, I'm getting the job done. I been truckin for 25 yrs now. I know when my hrs are manipulated so that I work every weekend that it rises to the level of abuse. Which now should trigger a canned response of "just quit" if you don't like it. Maybe it's going there.

I disagree with you, seniority is honored and you will get there eventually , so when you get enough to bid a m-f do you think that you should still have to pull weekend shifts so the new hires can get weekends off? You are the new guy, the canned response may come from mgmt but not from me, I say you made a commitment to the company, now do your job, put in your time and get what will come to you, don't quit, don't be a *****, your time will come. I know, I'm being a dick but I have been there, I have 23 yrs on the job, 2 yrs less than you, I have started over 4 times, and in one job with FXF I started over 4 times in 7 yrs with transfers between terminals and job class, it sucks but it will get better.

One more thing Ram, I thought I would be at the bottom at Sysco forever, but things change, when I hired on there wasn't a man that didn't have at least 5 yrs there, now I hold one of the best shuttle bids there is, yes I could get bid out of shuttle but if I do I will have one of the first picks of day routes. Hang in there, things change quick.

I know all about seniority. My first 21-1/5 were Teamster freight. 4 with one outfit and 17.5 with the other. I'm still here and not planning on going anywhere. Mostly just venting. I'm not suggesting senior guys work weekends for my benefit. I'm suggesting letting me get days off to reset regardless of which day of the week that occurs. If senior men don't work on pickup hours , why should anyone else? My job isn't to be a doormat so senior men can be royalty. It wouldn't hurt any senior driver to work one weekend every six weeks. That's about the time frame for hrs of service to roll around. What I see is a burgeoning retention problem. This facility has been trying to hire drivers since appx a year, and I'm the only person they've got to show for their efforts. We've been promised $2000 referral bonuses for recruitment. It's been 3 months and no one yet. It's a good job that totally sucks because of the new hires are doormats. The simple fix is letting guys reset when their hours are up. ALL of the guys.

I know all about seniority. My first 21-1/5 were Teamster freight. 4 with one outfit and 17.5 with the other. I'm still here and not planning on going anywhere. Mostly just venting. I'm not suggesting senior guys work weekends for my benefit. I'm suggesting letting me get days off to reset regardless of which day of the week that occurs. If senior men don't work on pickup hours , why should anyone else? My job isn't to be a doormat so senior men can be royalty. It wouldn't hurt any senior driver to work one weekend every six weeks. That's about the time frame for hrs of service to roll around. What I see is a burgeoning retention problem. This facility has been trying to hire drivers since appx a year, and I'm the only person they've got to show for their efforts. We've been promised $2000 referral bonuses for recruitment. It's been 3 months and no one yet. It's a good job that totally sucks because of the new hires are doormats. The simple fix is letting guys reset when their hours are up. ALL of th
may be you could organize them you have the time in,get old beer boy to help,work rules ,time off hell have old beer boy pas out hand bill shouldn't take to long might help with retition

Yeah I hate the weekend stuff and not resetting. In the same boat. Every now and then I reset but most of the time I don't. I asked them how would it be possible to get weekends off every now and then. And they told me the best way is to run your ass off all week and burn all your hours so you won't have any left for the weekend. So I did that. .and would always get scheduled on the weekend be a use they say "yeah you're out of hours right now but tomorrow you're picking up this many.. " so they kind of lied to me. I finally just told them I need to go to church on Sunday mornings if they scheduled me to work (which wasn't a lie) and they would let me come in few hours later to make church. But other than than I pretty much get forced out every weekend and it sucks. I'm on the "extra /vaca" spot on the GES bid so I never know what days I'm off. I don't find out if I work the next day until 9pm the night before. So can't ever plan anything or have any sort of life. But I know that or will get better once I actually get a set run I want. The pay is really good I gross 1800 most weeks. But sucks not having a life and not knowing my schedule. It's pretty much a given that I will work every weekend though. :/

And the WORST is when they schedule me for a run that there's no way I have enough hours for. So i let them know i dont have the hours for that run.. and they say "well why didn't you reset?". BECAUSE YALL DONT LET ME RESET. Makes no sense at all how they would force me on a run without looking at my hours or calling me to ask me first. Ok done complaining

It happens here also. All the damn time. To much work is a bless Blessing :) right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram Big Horn First let me say I feel your pain and I am on your side, in regards to not wanting to work every weekend. However I agree with Grocery Thrower on the seniority issue. When I left my tues-sat(off by noon usually on sat) schedule at Frito, due to plant closure, I was immediately thrown in to culture shock at my next job. I was lucky that I found a high paid position with Buster Brown as a Feeder driver. What I was not lucky about, was that it was a 24/7 operation, including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I was at the bottom, for a while, I toughed it out and it got drastically better over time. However after nearly 10 years, it was still a 24/7 operation and to get a mon-fri day job, you needed 30 years seniority. I finally, after much thought, made the decision that working days and having most weekends off, was more important than the outrageous pay and easy job. I started a new career as a union carhauler over 2 years ago and am now very happy I did. It sucked at first and on 35 below days working outside still sucks, but I don't ever miss getting out of bed at 9 at night to go to work. On nice sunny days it is great and overall I love my job now. Frito Lay may or may not be the job you need to keep for the rest of your career. I think it probably will be better for you in a few years, but it may not ever be a mon-fri day job. I have a good friend who still drives for Frito, he moved to Tn when they closed our plant. After over 10 years he still works some nights and a lot of weekends. Only you know what you really need out of your job, but a 24/7 operation will not be able to change to suit the needs of all of its drivers. Good luck!

Thanks for reply, Banker. You know, I've never been a complainer unless it felt necessary. As stated earlier, been at this 25 years. I know what good working conditions are, and part of that is creating a life/work schedule for even the bottom guys. I knew weekend work was required. But I also thought I'd get my "weekend" during the week. And that hasn't happened. I turn 50 this year. I work with guys who've been here 10-12 years and they still do most weekends. Now do the math on that.
Just this past Sat, I had choice of 4 trips. It's only me and another driver left, so they can't cover 2 of the trips. So I pick an easy 6-7 hr trip that gets done by maybe 8 am. Dispatch asks me if I could pick something longer. I sort of laughed in a frustrating tone over the phone and said oh what the heck just give me the 600 miler starting at 10 am. Just friggin awesome to spend the entire day behind the wheel instead of getting done by 8 and having the rest of the day to treat like a Sat off. Boy was I steamed over that on multiple levels. When I finally have choices, they want to narrow them for me. And I was also left wondering why some of the senior drivers weren't forced on the other trips... I certainly would have been asked to run on pickup hrs, so why not the guys up the food chain? This job with its total lack of even a basic schedule really blows. I'm definitely looking for other opportunities.

As someone who is rapidly approaching 50 myself, my idea of a good job is different today than it was 20+ years ago. Since I need my beauty rest now more than ever and spending quality time with family and friends is more important than anything, I decided that I would be willing to take a 50% pay cut to not work nights or every weekend. Luckily my pay didn't go down much after I learned my new job. I hope that with some thought and research you are able to find the right job that suits your needs as well. Not sure if they are in your area, but a friend and former Frito driver went to work for Holland in the city and he likes it. I know the pension and pay are cut, but they seem to treat their people well and after only a few months he had a 1100 m-f bid job.

I agree. I'm looking for something that pays a hell of alot more then I'm making now and I want my weekends off. I would like to work days to but that might be hard. Still definitely looking into being a union car hauler but I'm still nervous about that to

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm looking for something that pays a hell of alot more then I'm making now and I want my weekends off. I would like to work days to but that might be hard. Still definitely looking into being a union car hauler but I'm still nervous about that to

Don't we all? I would love to see the sun more than 2 hrs a day, buck up butter cup!!

Oh bite me GT. You couldn't keep a eye on me. To old you probably would forget everything and probably can only see 2 feet in front of you lol. Now that I have Jackson full time I'm barely getting by. Day care is expensive and everything else. Need to make more money. Way more money

Freaking hilarious! Get this....a new hire spends the time to go through a rigorous hiring process, spends several hours sitting through the safety class, spends some time getting to know the dispatchers and how the system works....they set him up to run with another driver that night....he leaves and calls back in half an hour and quits! Says he doesn't think he'll be happy here! Un...frickin...believable!