ODFL | What do you Love about working here? What do you Hate about working here?

well,I quess I will start..OD is a great place to work.We all have our bad thing's but I can honestly say the good out weigh the bad..Family is#1.,open door policy..bad would have to be OT.Would be nice but on the other hand we all know they run a tight ship&if they had to pay they would just add on more driver's or cut our hour's back.Never work'd at a place that ever boss man know's how many hour's you have everyday to work & come thursday's they are calling&sending you home early because of hour's.But, I don't worry about it.I've seen raise's every year,no insurance increase,401-k match's&extra because of profit's.

I like the fact that when i call central i give them my name and not my number and they know who it is. As far as all the complaining i've heard about overtime i seem to hear it from our competition "looking out for our guys" I guess. lol

well i have to say i have worked at other ltl companies and od by far is the best i have worked at. there benifits are great and they seem to add things from time to time. i run linehaul and i have a great meet driver and we take care of each other which makes for a great run. when i first started my complaint was that it would take the 2 hours to get me out but that got straighten out. i dont much like going to gbo simple because when you get there you know you will be sitting for awhile unless your real lucky.i dont get upset about it,it is what it is and you just deal with it. the city side is different i think there is alot more to deal with and i give those guys alot of credit. i wouldnt change companies i am very happy where i am and they pay well. i cant say i have met a linehaul driver that just hated working for od. and i am trying to get my brother on with od so if i thought it was a bad place to work or i didnt like i wouldnt have suggested it to him. i would like alittle new truck but nothing i cry about or worry about as long as it get me where i am going and back home i am good. i drive a 06 its probably in the shop alot but its mine,lol.

Constantly upgraded equipment,several times recently the combined age of my tractor,both my trailers,and the dolly were under a year old.I 've been pretty happy equipment wise since OD bought WSKT,a couple of months after the buy-out I was handed the keys to a new '05 after getting that broke in was given a new '07 two years later was given an'07 cornbinder that had been hidden away in the Northwest that had less than 100,000 miles on the odometer and was told to put some miles on it!!off course I was only happy to do it (I'm just that kinda guy!)in mid May this year got my new '13 Cummins powered Cascadia Its nice to have the best tools available to do the job!I like working at a company where Senior management(COO,Sr VP's)have either when visiting my service center,or over the phone have seeked me out and sat down and asked my opinion on how things were going,and what they could do to help us do our jobs better,and tell me what they were working on and considering in the future,I've never seen a large organization that took the opinions of the troops this seriously,and communicated what the future might hold for us.The only thing I liked better from the old place they were a little more liberal on vacation(4 weeks after 10 years,6 days sick leave,although truthfully most of those sick days were usually used for "mental health"days(sick of my job)and a couple extra days of Holiday pay like the friday after Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like all my co-workers including management. I work combo, dock and p and d. I average 14 hours a day except thursday because I'm sent home due to hitting 60 hours.

OD is avery inconsistent company ! What applies today might not apply next week ! What applies at one terminal might not apply at another !

Well things change from time to time it's never exactly the same everyday. I know that it is different in different places but nothing major . Every company cuts hours one things are slow changes things in line haul but nothing I worry about I am lucky to have this job I could be working at 7-11

A lot of good. Laid back attitude most of the time. Decent freight to handle. Benefits/pay as good as most. Bad.....Different terminals have different rules. We lose a lot of good young people when freight is slow because Sr. drivers run some of the terminals and starve the low men out. Start times are hard to predict. Top drivers can refuse to do things and nothing is said. Every decision comes from corporate regarding sales, rates, etc.(could be good or bad, depending on customer)

What's their vacation tier like? And the 401 match? I am wanting to team over in gboro next yr once the holidays are over... And what holidays do they pay? Thanks fellas!

It's around .62.Not sure on exact.Good Luck on getting on in GBO.Don't think they are hiring right now.Alot of driver's sitting on board&thing's are slowing down for the year.prob. want start picking back up till the first of the year.Again,Good luck

It's around .62.Not sure on exact.Good Luck on getting on in GBO.Don't think they are hiring right now.Alot of driver's sitting on board&thing's are slowing down for the year.prob. want start picking back up till the first of the year.Again,Good luck

I believe team pay has upped to $.675 now that the new pay package has kicked in... I know atl has slowed considerably, especially for the wild teams.

The good, the pay and benefits. The bad, working 12 to 14 hours everyday. We run a skeleton crew and if someone misses work due to being sick or vacation it's rough. Go to work in the dark and go home in the dark. No life, just work, sleep and thinking about sleep. I know if I don't like it I can go somewhere else .

Welcome to Trucking .Yes,if you don't like it there's the door&don't let it hit you in the rear.The life of a truck driver.
The good, the pay and benefits. The bad, working 12 to 14 hours everyday. We run a skeleton crew and if someone misses work due to being sick or vacation it's rough. Go to work in the dark and go home in the dark. No life, just work, sleep and thinking about sleep. I know if I don't like it I can go somewhere else .

Welcome to Trucking .Yes,if you don't like it there's the door&don't let it hit you in the rear.The life of a truck driver.

I have to agree with you, that is the life of a truck driver. I wish I would have listened to my uncle and not got my CDL. But all I can do now is find a good company, which I have, and keep trucking! This is what pays my bills and feeds my family.

It takes a special person.It's not everyone.No need to sugar coat it.But,I do tell young kid's that are looking into this career that if you want to see this country&want to make good money.Start with OD&stay out&run&save your money for 10 yrs&you can sit back&retire.Then settle down.Wish I had done that.lol
I have to agree with you, that is the life of a truck driver. I wish I would have listened to my uncle and not got my CDL. But all I can do now is find a good company, which I have, and keep trucking! This is what pays my bills and feeds my family.