What does a city driver exactly do? Is it the same at every company?

Drake L.

TB Lurker
Credits
I started at Averitt Express as a truck load driver in training and I rather enjoy it. But I'm wanting to go local in a few months. Averitt says after 6 months I can switch to a city driver when a position opens up only if no one else with more seniority wants the job. I was wondering what city drivers exactly do.

I started at Averitt Express as a truck load driver in training and I rather enjoy it. But I'm wanting to go local in a few months. Averitt says after 6 months I can switch to a city driver when a position opens up only if no one else with more seniority wants the job. I was wondering what city drivers exactly do.
Most city drivers are home every night, and deliver and pickup freight in probably less than a 100 mile radius of their home terminal. I am guessing here that as an Averitt city guy, you would be picking up freight for your road guys so they just come in and hook to a trailer you loaded. And you would deliver a load they bring off the road . Keeps them from losing too many hours in the city.

daily deliveries, number of how many can be from 1 to 50. then you make pick ups along the way as well. sometimes you HAVE to sell services, like pick ups, extra freight, customer, while you are out there. whether or not you get some "bonus" for getting more sales, is up to your company.

you will work nearly a full 14 hours per day, sometime MORE hours. you may get over time after either an 8 hour day, or AFTER you put in a 40 hour week.

you may have the same customers each day, or you may have to do some of another drivers work, if you have to cover some of his area, if he is out sick, or on vacation, or his truck has a beak down.

that's about a small explanation on city work...good luck, you're gonna need it.