Yellow | What exactly IS the extra board?

gone

TB Lurker
Credits
As a new member, I have been reading some of the past threads and as you can imagine, I am following the ones about lack of work with a lot of interest. A common disagrement seems to be exactly what the extra board is supposed to be.

There seems to be a school that belives the extra board is there to take up whatever is left without complaint.

My personal opinion, and I think the contract will bear me out on this,is that the extra board is a pool of FULL TIME, REGULAR employees who do not have a fixed assignment or work hours. They should have sufficent work to earn a minimum of $700 to 800 a week and maintain their benefits under the NMFA and regional suppliments. They are not some kind of glorified casuals.

We comprise roughly 50% of the road drivers in distribution centers.

Any thoughts?

TP,
You've pretty well described what the Extra Board is. The only thing I'd say is that a guy at or near the bottom isn't always going to get full time work, but it all depends on day to day freight levels. I've never considered the Extra Board as a group of glorified casuals. I actually prefer it and I have 20 years in. I don't really care where I go so much as when I go, and I can almost always get out right at 11:00am, noon, or 1:00pm, my favorite times to go. The Extra Board in STL is about 66% of the entire board.

In BUF the extra board is 40% of the road board (55 out of 135). IMHO, that is a big part of the problem in BOTH directions. When it is slow, there is no work filtering down to the bottom, and when it is busy, there is not enough flexible capacity to move the freight.

The extra board is great because you have the felixability to take time off when you want to and go to different places. However, when its slow bid men run before you do>

Testpilot said:
In BUF the extra board is 40% of the road board (55 out of 135). IMHO, that is a big part of the problem in BOTH directions. When it is slow, there is no work filtering down to the bottom, and when it is busy, there is not enough flexible capacity to move the freight.
Testpilot,I have to correct you. Our supplement states that Fifty per cent of the board will be bid runs and that means that fifty per cent is extra board.

Buffbill,
In the Central 60% of primary runs have to be bid. In STL, we run so many reversals that the bids only make up about 35% of the board and about 65% extra board. Are you sure that your Supplement says 50% of the board, or does it say 50% of your primary runs? There can be a big difference between the two.

Bufbill said:
Testpilot,I have to correct you. Our supplement states that Fifty per cent of the board will be bid runs and that means that fifty per cent is extra board.

I can only go by what is posted on the wall. Ther are 135 linehaul drivers and there are 80 bids. 50% of 135 would be 68 (67.5).

stldude44 said:
Buffbill,
In the Central 60% of primary runs have to be bid. In STL, we run so many reversals that the bids only make up about 35% of the board and about 65% extra board. Are you sure that your Supplement says 50% of the board, or does it say 50% of your primary runs? There can be a big difference between the two.
I think the actual language is 50% of the "active" seniority list; layoffs, ltd. etc don't count.

TheBigR said:
I think the actual language is 50% of the "active" seniority list; layoffs, ltd. etc don't count.

Maybe?

Was really trying to get an idea if we are considered regular employees or "something else" :)

Testpilot, read article 61section2 of the N.Y. supplement it is on page 186and 187 It states that "the companywill bid a minimum of 50percent(50%) of the active road board atall terminals with fifteen (15) road drivers every six(6) months."The word to look at is "minimum" this means that they can post more than 50% if they care to do so and the reason for doing it is so when things pick up that they do not have to rebid before the six months is up and then do it all over again when the six months is up.Let me try to explain To you how this all works,and if I get something wrong any of you other guys can feel free to correct me .The company has so many scedualed runs that leave Buf at a certain time every day and then there is overflow freight,Thats why they need an extra board because most of the time when things are busy there is alot of overflow freight and that is why they need you.So hopefuly things will pick up and you will be working more than you find that you really want to work.In this business it`s feast or famine.And I am sure as time goes on that you will find this out,just try to hang in there and in time things will be good for you.I`m done!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, it's all good, and they were up front about the winters when I got on. I thought I knew what was going on, but, like a dope, I listened too much to know it alls and started to wonder WTF.

It still pays better than unemplyoment. But the hours aren't as good :)

YO test pilot.....

nickle city is a good place to be....

they started out with 22 drivers in '89 and have been steadily growing since....

as long as the lane to new england is there you'll have a job....

look at how old all the guys senior to you are, they aint immmortal.....

now for the important question.......

ted's or louie's???????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MIKEEEEE said:
YO test pilot.....

nickle city is a good place to be....

they started out with 22 drivers in '89 and have been steadily growing since....

as long as the lane to new england is there you'll have a job....

look at how old all the guys senior to you are, they aint immmortal.....

now for the important question.......

ted's or louie's???????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Teds.

Before I did this I was a Paramedic. Had an overdose barf about 5 Genesee cream ales and a half dozen Louies hots with BBQ sauce on them in my face once. Never really got my taste for them back after that.

And I already have plans for a wheelchair spike strip to speed up the retirement process!!!