Yellow | What good is bill count if you don't know yield

LTL MAN

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a question? What good is bill count if you do not know the yield? You can haul all of the freight, but if you are hauling it for a loss what good is that??

I have a question? What good is bill count if you do not know the yield? You can haul all of the freight, but if you are hauling it for a loss what good is that??

When they were rumored to be going bankrupt in late 2009, customers left for other carriers.

Bill Z saved the company on the backs of everyone else.

The trick now was to rebuild market share.

Bill count is an indication of how that's going.

I agree 100% the O/R needs to be known. In our (YRC) financial situation volume doesn't mean as much as moving freight for a profit. I have never understood why operating ratio is such a closely gaurded secret at YRC. I have watched the debate here about the relative merits of Roadway vs.Yellow which at this point mean nothing. However, if there is NO profit in you business model then failure is the ONLY logical result.

Bill count doesn't say anything about profit or OR. Its just a possible indicator of market share.

For profit or OR you have to wait for the quarterly report (SEC 10Q).

Then compare 10Q with bill count.

The bill count was higher in the 2nd quarter than the 1st, so losses went down and OR improved.

All that has no immediate effect on our (Teamsters) situation. It's all about the long range.

Before the merge Roadway used to tell us what our terminal and the company's O/R was. After the merge I was told by a Yellow ops manager (Andy L @257) that they stopped following the O/R when they started losing $.

The bill count only proves that bill is a liar. The customers are returning in droves I think is what he, it said. I'm calling bs. It hasn't changed from 41-45000 a day except for that end of month spike. Maybe when the pension is finally put in the coffin this time it will go up. But then again they lose on every dollar they take in. Better to keep it where it is.

Don't forget the $75.00 coupons on freight charges on shipments over $150.00 in May & June
That is when the bill count started increasing ....and also the Gift Cards Companies get from YRC for Walmart depending on the revenue ....In reality your just increaseing the discounting of the freight and lowering the yield