What happens if someone fail or refuse a DOT drug or alcohol test?

peter256

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi There,

I'm new in the driving field so please let me know about the Dot Drug or alcohol test and what happens if I fail or refuse a DOT test.

Thanks

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, trucking employers are legally mandated to test all drivers before allowing them to operate a commercial vehicle (2016).

If you fail or refuse:-
-You will immediately be removed from any DOT-related safety-sensitive functions.
-You will not be allowed to return to those duties until you have:
Been evaluated by a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP);
Completed any treatment, counseling, or education directed by the SAP; and
Provided a negative drug or alcohol test.

When you do return to a DOT-related safety-sensitive position, you will be subject to unannounced testing for drugs and alcohol at LEAST 6 times during the next 12 months and, depending on the evaluation of the SAP, could be subject to this testing for up to 60 months.

Hi There,

I'm new in the driving field so please let me know about the Dot Drug or alcohol test and what happens if I fail or refuse a DOT test.

Thanks
If you fail or refuse your career is basically over unless you work for a Union company YRC, ABF or UPS go to rehab. You can get away with doing a one line of coke on the weekend out of your system in a day or two as long as the company doesn't do hair tests. I know a few drivers who come in every day with kids urine taped to their under arm or wear special underwear in case they get tested. If you are a regular user always keep a kit with you a gallon of water, creatine and multivitamins when you are called to test have 2hrs to show up mix creatine water keep drinking and peeing as many times as you can then take vitamins before going in for the test you will pass everytime!

Hi There,

Thanks
if you fail, you will be placed out of service, and most likely MUST attend a SAP program on your own dime....pony up to $5,000 for that.

if you refuse, it's an automatic failure (positive result) , same things above apply.

DO NOT buy into the carrying of extra urine in a bag, nor the copious amounts of drinking water. IF your urine is too "diluted", that can be a failure (positive result) as well.

basically (to me) this question of yours tells me, you're a user. (otherwise, you'd have NEVER asked such a question)

weekend party times, come to an end in this industry.

also, a positive result, ends up going into your personal file and if the company subscribes to DAC (HireRight), that'll be on THAT file for life.....

good luck.

If you fail or refuse your career is basically over unless you work for a Union company YRC, ABF or UPS go to rehab. You can get away with doing a one line of coke on the weekend out of your system in a day or two as long as the company doesn't do hair tests. I know a few drivers who come in every day with kids urine taped to their under arm or wear special underwear in case they get tested. If you are a regular user always keep a kit with you a gallon of water, creatine and multivitamins when you are called to test have 2hrs to show up mix creatine water keep drinking and peeing as many times as you can then take vitamins before going in for the test you will pass everytime!
so tell the guy how to circumvent a drug test..??? pre-employment, random or post accident..??

people like YOU should be run out of this industry as well as the druggies...

I thought trucking is or was a drug free environment....
to some, it is...to others, drug use doesn't seem to be a bother.

i can see why federal regulators, insurance companies and advocacy groups are forever against us.

i see no end to the morons coming into this industry, further tarnishing an image we will never be free of.

so tell the guy how to circumvent a drug test..??? pre-employment, random or post accident..??

people like YOU should be run out of this industry as well as the druggies...
So you approve of all the alcoholics drink everyday wake up hungover start up that big rig with that nasty headache all dizzy that's safe. What you do in your off time is nobody's business as long as you are not driving under the influence.

So you approve of all the alcoholics drink everyday wake up hungover start up that big rig with that nasty headache all dizzy that's safe. What you do in your off time is nobody's business as long as you are not driving under the influence.
you obviously DO NOT KNOW HOW TO READ OR COMPREHEND...

the poster i was responding to (YOU) i was basically giving YOU HELL for telling the o/p to get around testing procedures...you DOLT...

DID YOU NOT SEE THE QUESTION MARKS AFTER EACH STATEMENT FROM ME..???

again...YOU DOLT....

DID YOU NOT SEE WHERE I TOLD YOU, THAT YOU NEED TO BE RUN OUT OF THE BUSINESS..??

again....YOU DOLT....

you were telling the o/p to flush out his system, and then start driving again...

YOU DOLT...

THIS FROM YOU...

" If you are a regular user always keep a kit with you a gallon of water, creatine and multivitamins when you are called to test have 2hrs to show up mix creatine water keep drinking and peeing as many times as you can then take vitamins before going in for the test you will pass everytime!"

YOU WERE TELLING HIM TO CIRCUMVENT TESTING PROCEDURES AND TO CONTINUE TO DRIVE,.....

again...YOU DOLT...YOU NEED TO BE LOSING YOUR CDL FOR SUCH INFORMATION

SO, in other words, YOU, do drugs...?????

and you play Russian Roulette out there..???

good conscientious people, good safe drivers, good people of morals and ethics like me and many others here (not including you however), will NEVER GIVE OUT WAYS TO CIRCUMVENT drug testing procedures.

Last edited:
If you are involved in an accident while operating a commercial vehicle, even if you are not at fault you will probably be tested within a short time especially if there is a fatality. If the test results are positive the operator will probably spend some time in prison. The owner of the vehicle (employeer) and/or insurer will pay a huge sum. It is irresponsible to drive while impaired, POV or commercial vehicle. A jury or judge has little sympathy for someone who calls themselves a professional & drives while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The advice I will give to you would be to find a job where the consequences of stupidity are not as severe.

Our company policy is if any of the vehicles are towed from the accident scene you get tested within 2 hours , I remember when it dropped to .04 thats when I quit drinking at home since I didn't want to chance getting stopped if I had to go get one of my kids or any other emergency.

Yeah. I did see that in the DOT rules for drug and alcohol testing. If you are a union driver, you can violate Federal Law, and get away with things, that others can’t, and still keep your job, even though you have a drug problem. I do like the kids pee taped under your arm thing. Only question I have is, what are special underwear???

Yeah. I did see that in the DOT rules for drug and alcohol testing. If you are a union driver, you can violate Federal Law, and get away with things, that others can’t, and still keep your job, even though you have a drug problem. I do like the kids pee taped under your arm thing. Only question I have is, what are special underwear???
Underwear made with a special pocket inside so you can bring in clean urine! SAP is only $350 easy drug class $250 it's not $5000 they can't fail you for dilute urine as long as it's negative! What everyone needs to realize is these drug tests aren't like a breathalyzer showing how intoxicated you are at the time currently someone can smoke weed least harmful drug you can test positive for weeks while harder drugs coke, heroin, pcp, meth out of your system in a few days. Canada marijuana is legal in a few days will be in the US too in a few years what you do in your off time is nobodys business as long as you don't drive under the influence.

Underwear made with a special pocket inside so you can bring in clean urine! SAP is only $350 easy drug class $250 it's not $5000 they can't fail you for dilute urine as long as it's negative! What everyone needs to realize is these drug tests aren't like a breathalyzer showing how intoxicated you are at the time currently someone can smoke weed least harmful drug you can test positive for weeks while harder drugs coke, heroin, pcp, meth out of your system in a few days. Canada marijuana is legal in a few days will be in the US too in a few years what you do in your off time is nobodys business as long as you don't drive under the influence.
You haven’t OD’ on Smith System Training have you???

Last edited:
You haven’t OD’ on Smith System Training have you???
No OD but I know a few drivers who got caught went through SAP afterwards you get to be a stripper for follow up tests funny part is you can beat them easier too because they can't do followups at the terminal like randoms only medical centers for observed keep your kit in the car. One driver I know of finally got fired after his 3rd or 4th time failing over a decade Union kept getting his job back after rehab!

35 years ago I was a manager. I had to fire a driver because HIS sample showed HE was pregnant. He had used his wife's urine. Worse, he had had a vasectomy years before. Talk about having a bad day!!!
Amazing how some people try to find a way to beat the system,while violating company rules,federal laws,and run to the union to get their job back 2-3 times, and continue to be part of the problem....

Amazing how some people try to find a way to beat the system,while violating company rules,federal laws,and run to the union to get their job back 2-3 times, and continue to be part of the problem....
Unfortunately they set a precedent instead of one life time chance which "I agree with" it turns into many more chances and now they have to give it to everyone or they can file a lawsuit.