What if Extinction is NOT Forever? A Molecular Paleontologist View of De-Extinction?

Spaghetti

TB Veteran
Credits
"It’s practically the plot to Jurassic Park. Scientists working with ancient DNA found from the remains of ancient species, then using their genetic code to give “birth” to those extinct creatures using modern science. It’s the kind of idea that is so out there it tip-toes the line on morality, and questions what it could mean for the future of the planet."

SFU talks ethics of Jurassic Park: What if extinction was a thing of the past? | Metro

https://angel.co/cambrian-genomics

3d printing living things DNA by Cambrian Genomics on Vimeo

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the kind of idea that is so out there it tip-toes the line on morality, and questions what it could mean for the future of the planet."

i say, let the dead and extinct stay that way.

no need to bring up animals, insects and whatever else, that could wipe out the human race, which means...so much for the future of the planet..

i say, let the dead and extinct stay that way.

no need to bring up animals, insects and whatever else, that could wipe out the human race, which means...so much for the future of the planet..

Well, they already have.

Stewart Brand appeared on Tuesday at a Ted conference in Vancouver to present the status of a few de-extinction projects. At the paleogenomics lab at the University of California, Santa Cruz, for example, lab leader Beth Shapiro and a young scientist, Ben Novak, are trying to revive the first passenger pigeon by altering the DNA of the sally band-tailed pigeon, the passenger's closest genetic relative. A flock of band-tailed pigeons, Brand said, "is being groomed to become the first surrogate parents of passenger pigeons."

Stewart Brand Discuss De-Extinction At Ted Talk 2014 - Business Insider

de-extinction | Revive & Restore

Last edited by a moderator:
i see no valid reasoning behind bringing an extinct species back to life. everything has a life cycle and when that cycle goes to it's end, then that should be THE END.

and what pray tell do we need with a "Passenger pigeon"..??

will Delta Airlines, American Airlines, hire them and will we then be bumped off a bird flight for a plane flight instead..??

i see no rhyme or reason to bring back the dead....as we very well may end up with something like this.........

zombies.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

:Off-Topic:What's with all the zombie stupidity??
- - - -

you cannot "resurrect" the dead, without consequences.......

what is to say that the DNA was perfect at the timely demise of any living thing, and that the scientists "create" a mutated version of any thing extinct..??

you wanna be going out and buying up all the weapons and stay in your home for the rest of your life, all the while, those mutated creatures are seeking your brains to eat..????

not me, i'll stay by my convictions that any thing that has been LONG ago extinct, should stay that way.

extinction HAD it's purpose for the stronger to survive and evolve into better living creatures, humans, etc.

ya wanna see dinosaurs roaming the earth again..??

ya wanna see Teradacyles(sp???) flying again and crashing with jets..??? killing hundreds if not thousands of people every year..??

do ya wanna see bugs bigger that a 747 in your back yard.>??? what size "bug zapper" would you need for those..????

we do not need bringing up extinct species of anything....