Central Transport | What is coming this month?

Not_wanted

TB Veteran
Credits
We know a new CK video is suppose to come out this month. We know linehaul changes are saving millions a month. We know cutting salaried positions and reducing dockworkers down to part time no benefits is saving money. So the question is: Is the savings enough to put us back in the profit area? Are, if any, profit figures being used to hire more and more of the FE people therefore actually showing us a negative when we are actually positive?

the ks corp firings and the fe hirings in pitt wash each other out. the savings in the linehaul and dockworkers may initally save them money, but we are losing and damaging freight due to unhappy workers or new hire dummies. don't expect anything soon. if anything, they will be adjusting insurance and o.t.

25 cent raise would be 10 dollars on a 40 hr work week. they'll give us that and raise the insurance the same amount or reduce coverage to cover the raise. everybody just keep running the treadmill and look at that piece of cheese.

I don't think there will be any changes to insurance until 2014 when they drop it all together, and say that it is cheaper under obamacare to pay the fine for not having insurance than to offer it.

the ks corp firings and the fe hirings in pitt wash each other out. the savings in the linehaul and dockworkers may initally save them money, but we are losing and damaging freight due to unhappy workers or new hire dummies. don't expect anything soon. if anything, they will be adjusting insurance and o.t.

There for a little bit after the initial cutbacks freight did get better, dock guys were afraid for their jobs, but now, the attitude has gone back down I guess, the last month I have had more damage than in 4 months, and it is not accidental, this stuff is ripped dented smashed to s**t sometimes. If it didn't break the first time, back up and give her hell again

weve got dockworkers that purposely run the pallets in until the wood cracks and then stop. i've seen them do this infront of dock supervisors and nothing get said to them. i too have recently seen the damage claims go up at my terminal. seeing that dockworkers are now a p.t. job when hiring, there is no reason for them to take care and pride in their work. these kids prob live at home or have a full time job somewhere else.

agree. my head load guy tries to get the job done, but, he does it with blinders on due to we cannot get people to apply for such a crappy part time job, so, they get away with a lot, and those of us who care spend so much time beating our heads against the wall screaming WTF is this.

As far as us making money, yes we make money. I am sorry but no company can stand up to years of no cash coming in and still maintain open doors. All the money we have been making simply goes into paying of the debt and hiring new VP's. Since they just put the majority of the earnings into paying off debt it shows, on paper, that we are in the red. This gives them a great excuse on why they cannot do things but also helps them pay less taxes.

With this new system of part-time dockworkers they are creating a revolving door system. Their pay rate is quite low when compared to other trucking companies for PT, roughly eleven dollars and change by me and no chance of getting a raise. Plus you have limited hours, only 25 or 30. Not to mention there is currently no way of ever becoming full time. So once they find all this out how long do you thing people will stay or what incentive do they have to care? They will come to work for us, get their six month or year experience and move on to better prospects. So in effect, you will have to keep training new people, OSD numbers will not go down, on-time and productivity will not improve.

The same mentality exists, save a dime here but pay a dollar later.

And as far as all of these new upper management folks, I thought some of the original positions we have filled were cut to trim them fat years ago. Now we seem to just be adding it back on and for what? I am quite sure that Vitran had to offer them something good to get them to leave the security of FE. You just don't leave a cruise ship to get on a dingy without some pretty damn good incentive.

I think maybe two new hires have left, the other 6 or so are still here, but their attitudes sure suck. i know the rest of the originals are still looking for jobs

remember fed ex just got rid of alot of their management to cut cost. most took a buyout.i agree to vitran is making money,look at the new trailers, tablets,and corperate office with new furniture.
As far as us making money, yes we make money. I am sorry but no company can stand up to years of no cash coming in and still maintain open doors. All the money we have been making simply goes into paying of the debt and hiring new VP's. Since they just put the majority of the earnings into paying off debt it shows, on paper, that we are in the red. This gives them a great excuse on why they cannot do things but also helps them pay less taxes.

With this new system of part-time dockworkers they are creating a revolving door system. Their pay rate is quite low when compared to other trucking companies for PT, roughly eleven dollars and change by me and no chance of getting a raise. Plus you have limited hours, only 25 or 30. Not to mention there is currently no way of ever becoming full time. So once they find all this out how long do you thing people will stay or what incentive do they have to care? They will come to work for us, get their six month or year experience and move on to better prospects. So in effect, you will have to keep training new people, OSD numbers will not go down, on-time and productivity will not improve.

The same mentality exists, save a dime here but pay a dollar later.

And as far as all of these new upper management folks, I thought some of the original positions we have filled were cut to trim them fat years ago. Now we seem to just be adding it back on and for what? I am quite sure that Vitran had to offer them something good to get them to leave the security of FE. You just don't leave a cruise ship to get on a dingy without some pretty damn good incentive.

Had a discussion with Brian(?) out of MKM this past week. He said that most of the FX people who followed CK did so as a turn-around team. They did it before at American Freightways. Most took a substantial pay cut, but that the real pay-off would be down the road when the stock price turns around. Stated that we are still losing money thus no raise in Sept., to be revisited again in Dec. BUT, we all know that Santy Clause ain't going to be filling our stockins anytime soon.

remember fed ex just got rid of alot of their management to cut cost. most took a buyout.i agree to vitran is making money,look at the new trailers, tablets,and corperate office with new furniture.

The last two rounds of trucks are leased (International and Freightliner), as are the Stoughton trailers (look at the registration) Tablets? They didn't spend $50 at Verizon for them, they were bought from an outside vendor as a large package at a reduced price (when we got them they were already behind on OS updates compared to my personal phone also running Android, 4.01 compared to 2.0, and now they cannot be updated I am told due to not enough memory and speed to run 4.1)

When corp. mgmt. calculates the total dollar amount for damages, I wonder if they are able to add the cost of dock worker re-stacking and re-couping and re-wrapping? At my sc, we MUST do all of that BEFORE loading out for delivery. A fork truck operator who is careless can cause a destination dockworker 30-45min to even 90 min while he has to re-coup his mess! Do they even care at all? Once dockworker tablets are in place, mgmt. will know who loaded and unloaded shipment from origin to destination, and everywhere in between. Hopefully with this new info available to mgmt. and our os&d dept., the bad apples will be sent packing, or just move on.

OS&D is a 100% preventable loss, but how do you stop it? **** of your current employees stripping benefits and cut hours, then hire more part timers with no room for advancement, and what do you think you will end up with? Costs for OS&D is our labor too, a 10 minute delivery can be 30 minutes by the time your done dealing with a receiving supervisor and calling 5 times getting an exception number, so there goes your delivery bills per hour average.

Once dockworker tablets are in place, mgmt. will know who loaded and unloaded shipment from origin to destination, and everywhere in between. Hopefully with this new info available to mgmt. and our os&d dept., the bad apples will be sent packing, or just move on.

Actually this is achievable now and has been since I started working here. The thing is, it just takes a little effort on the part of a supervisor to find out who unloaded/loaded it. One of the biggest issues I have seen is there is no uniform way of filling out the paperwork. Since there is no standard training program, everyone develops his/her own way of filling out the sheets for unloading a trailer, if they bother to do it at all. There are indeed simple cost effective ways to begin to decrease OSD numbers now but they seem to not want to hear them. As it was not their idea, so it cannot be a good idea.