What is YRC's accident Policy

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Today on my way home from work I saw an older Yellow Freight Truck and Trailer pulled over to the side of the road two police around it and a Mazda parked behind it with a bunch of scraps and bruises on the front quarter panel. I don't know who hit who the old YRC Volvo looked unscathed, but still does YRC have a heavy or hard zero tolerance accident policy or are they so hard up for workers that they just give you a slap on the wrist and tell you to keep going.

That wasn't quite what I was asking, like Sysco there accident policy is just that one and done. Ours where I work is 3 strikes and your out for the most part.

I guess it depends on how of a bozo you commit. Also if your someone they want to get rid of, they will take full advantage of that accident. If he was cited for being on his phone at the time of that accident, forget about it.

There's a lot of variables, but it definitely isn't one and done unless you were obviously negligent.
I didn't think it was I figured it was probably on a case by case basis. The company I work for is self insured and they are very strict on the accident policy and the keep trying to compensate for grey area and every time they do they end up making more grey area.

Several places I've worked have a loss amount threshold that will get you canned. One place I worked at the limit was 5k, current place is 20k. Of course if you were breaking a zero tolerance rule at the time or a have other writes/incidents you can still find yourself on the street for a minor incident.

At the terminal I am at we had a new hire get a chargeable on p and d within his first 2 weeks, and he is still working... years back, if you had any kind of accident within your first 30 days probation,you were gone....

Under the NMFA driving while impaired will be cause for termination. If the company has a shortage of workers with business good they can be more forgiving of other types of mistakes. I don't know who was at fault in this accident. It might be determined the driver could not have avoided the accident. I do know you are much better off with somebody on your side (under a union contract).

Now a day a lot of companies have these camera in the trucks to verify the true nature of accidents. The big truck is alway at fault days are gone now with these cameras now as we all know how people drive these days.

Had one guy try to claim I hit him when he was merging onto the highway. Sign in his lane clearly says yield which means give way as the trooper explained to him. Still had to go to court but I prevailed just a wasted day for that guys ignorance...

As a retired UPS Freight safety trainer,during my training for certification.
I learned that professional drivers are held to a higher standard than the general public.
that even if a 4 wheeler blows a light,or stop sign & the professional driver involved.
Didn't take a last effort to avoid the crash,they can share the blame.

I thought hey thats not fair,however according to traffic courts we are the professionals & the public isn't.
So I guess thats a part of having a driving career you have to be extra careful,& focused on what your doing.

In "discipline" for a driver who has been involved in an accident, as been stated, it "all depends" on a bunch of things. I have seen drivers who have been terminated over "fender benders" and then I have seen drivers who have kept their jobs after a major "roll-over". Driving for an union company, it is more likely that your job is more secure than if you are with a non-union and again this depends on how hard the union might feel about you, like the rest of our society, all depends on who you are. Driving for a non-union, a driver is basically at the mercy of the company and again it goes right back to "who you are".

A rear-end collision with the first company that I ever worked for was a automatic dismissal and this company was union, but if you rear ended somebody, pack you bags cause you were fired.

And how the times have changed. It used to be one major accident and you were done, the battle was always over defining 'major'. It is a dollar amount? Is it one in which injury is involved? Is the value of the lost merchandise included in the equation for value?

A couple of years ago we sat through a 'safety' lesson at home terminal. The video stated that most roll over accidents were a second event for the driver. A second event???? It used to be a rollover was hard to blame on anyone BUT the driver and it equated to immediate discharge and difficulty in finding another job. I asked, "How many do we get?", not that I had any desire to go collecting them, I just gots to know. I never got an answer.

Nobody has all of the answers,I've always gone by,do your best & don't worry about the rest.
I knew drivers that claimed a rollover is caused by a load shift.
I only can agree with that idea if you don't have a tight load & you over correct,the load is going to natural shift.
Although I have had lopsided loads where the dock crew put to much weight on one side.
In that case I could tell before I got out of the yard & backed back to the dock to fix it.
I don't know truckload,or line-haul folks can do about improper loading,I guess just be extra careful on curves & ramps.