Central Transport | What keeps you from giving your resignation?

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
For me I'm topped out in pay. I'm one of the top senior drivers. My job is so easy I could almost do it with my eyes closed. I have a great truck. I have perfect hours. I have lots of vacation time. For me its a no brainer. For guys at the bottom stuck in the pay freeze I can only say I hope they do whats right soon. But until they do I really want to understand why you stay. When there is so much hiring going on with companies with no pay freeze in effect.

With the area I live in its hard to find a driving job that's home everyday. And with a 25 miles drive to work its kinda near by too. Most of the other ltl carriers are any were from 45 to 75 miles from my house .

For me I'm topped out in pay. I'm one of the top senior drivers. My job is so easy I could almost do it with my eyes closed. I have a great truck. I have perfect hours. I have lots of vacation time. For me its a no brainer. For guys at the bottom stuck in the pay freeze I can only say I hope they do whats right soon. But until they do I really want to understand why you stay. When there is so much hiring going on with companies with no pay freeze in effect.

pretty much same as you . except the perfect hours part as I am on linehaul

Don't have the balls you do Train, but I will say my wife makes more than I do and working out of Indiana "somewhere" and being part of the only purchase that has not given up territory I have it pretty good ( sorry for the "runaway" sentence "train") and am well connected to the heart beat. Some of you may know that, some may not.

You old lady works for GM in Kokomo? Is that what your trying to say?

You old lady works for GM in Kokomo? Is that what your trying to say?
LaMar has psychic powers....So tell me LaMar....Why do so many stay? With the state of this company do you think many believe this company can turn things around, or do you think they are just afraid of change?

With the area I live in its hard to find a driving job that's home everyday. And with a 25 miles drive to work its kinda near by too. Most of the other ltl carriers are any were from 45 to 75 miles from my house .
That makes sense..Many areas of the country jobs are not as plentiful and you need to be thankful for what you have and hold on to it. But here in Dallas almost every single LTL company is hiring....Southeastern...Saia....R&L....Estes.....AAA....FedX....We just lost 2....One to Southeastern and the other to Saia. And they left for one reason only. Money. And I don't blame them one bit. At Vitran new hires have no incentive to stay with this pay freeze that has been in effect for 5 years. With no sign it will ever be released. Its a no brainer in the Dallas-Ft. Worth highly competitive market place. Vitran is merely a stepping stone to a better way of life for the new hires. With 18.50 being the top pay here for new guys, that is just not competitive in the D-FW market. This region runs between 22-24 dollars an hour for LTL drivers top pay. And you are there in 2-3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
LaMar has psychic powers....So tell me LaMar....Why do so many stay? With the state of this company do you think many believe this company can turn things around, or do you think they are just afraid of change?

People don't like change. At my old terminal there has been less than a handful leave. As I listen to them the reasons range from:
1) Don't want to start over,
2) They are at top pay now'
3) Vitran's going to make it.

When you invest so much in your work you really don't want to believe the worst could happen.

"For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

People don't like change. At my old terminal there has been less than a handful leave. As I listen to them the reasons range from:
1) Don't want to start over,
2) They are at top pay now'
3) Vitran's going to make it.

When you invest so much in your work you really don't want to believe the worst could happen.

"For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
At Vitran.....This is the bottom line....If it can't be accepted, then it must be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted.....The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live. Damn, I sound like Buddha. Let me put it this way, if you can't accept this mickey mouse operation the way it is then its time to walk away. Don't let fear keep you from change. I'm under no illusion that the worst can happen here, and probably will because of all the negative Karma this place has dished out. As we all know....What goes around.....comes back around. Always has and always will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think lamar has it right. 1. nobody wants to start over, but they may be forced to. 2. Top pay, unless I miss my guess, that is about to change. In the midwest we are training several new line drivers, which we don't seem to need at the moment.(Management may argue that point). Perhaps the new regional tiered pay scale will not be to the liking of topped-out drivers and they will be departing in the coming months. 3. That reason is a sucker bet my bookie would love. This 5 year pay freeze is a real deal breaker for most new employees. Alot of them won't make 200% of the fed. poverty level, which will classify them as lower income. I don't believe it's loyalty to the company either. Loyalty is not a one way street. Our last Employee handbook explained the company's position very clearly.

when they get this place running like fed jr, there will be no o.t. drivers will be sent home when they get close to o.t. when winter gets here and you get a day off each week, more drivers will leave. unless the pay is increased, and the cost of insurance comes way down, I don't see a lot of people staying .
I think lamar has it right. 1. nobody wants to start over, but they may be forced to. 2. Top pay, unless I miss my guess, that is about to change. In the midwest we are training several new line drivers, which we don't seem to need at the moment.(Management may argue that point). Perhaps the new regional tiered pay scale will not be to the liking of topped-out drivers and they will be departing in the coming months. 3. That reason is a sucker bet my bookie would love. This 5 year pay freeze is a real deal breaker for most new employees. Alot of them won't make 200% of the fed. poverty level, which will classify them as lower income. I don't believe it's loyalty to the company either. Loyalty is not a one way street. Our last Employee handbook explained the company's position very clearly.

Nothing stopped me. After 13 yrs. I'm done. Along with 2-3 other 10yr + drivers in OMA. Total count including 1 office girl,10 in the last 3 mths. It's happening all over the system. We senior guys are bailing. Saw the writing on the wall. Vitanic has hit the iceberg. Good luck if you stay.

yea took my 2weeks vacations. one at a time. when i got back both time i had a so called random... :kickedoutsmile:

Right there it shows you they are after senior employees to reduce costs. Maybe we should reduce costs in HR by have a round of "randoms" including the queen.

I have jumped ship 3 times, the companies eventually sank. May have to do this here as well, just don't think it is time yet.

At Vitran.....This is the bottom line....If it can't be accepted, then it must be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted.....The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live. Damn, I sound like Buddha. Let me put it this way, if you can't accept this mickey mouse operation the way it is then its time to walk away. Don't let fear keep you from change. I'm under no illusion that the worst can happen here, and probably will because of all the negative Karma this place has dished out. As we all know....What goes around.....comes back around. Always has and always will.

Yo, Runaway! Let's NOT go insulting Mickey Mouse........I mean after all he has a pretty tight ship IE Disney. LOL

A random is a random. They get the list from an outside source-if you feel that you are being placed on the list, by all means call the Department of Labor and Department of Transportation. If it is found that the list was manipulated in any way, you have some money coming to you. Good Luck to you!

Lol . . .You know that random drug testing thing? Well news flash: it can be manipulated, and I am going to put you on the list :)

A random is a random. They get the list from an outside source-if you feel that you are being placed on the list, by all means call the Department of Labor and Department of Transportation. If it is found that the list was manipulated in any way, you have some money coming to you. Good Luck to you!

True if you get caught there would be penalties. But the list can and is manipulated on a regular basis. "It is what it is" ~~Donald Rumsfield~~