ODFL | What needs to improve ?

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
As an OD employee you have a good view of what needs to improve on the company's ground floor.....where the rubber meets the road.If you're a l/h driver passing thru different terminals you can see which ones may need a few changes to make the flow of freight smoother/more efficient.As a p/d driver you see the delays that may occur waiting in the shop or waiting on freight or missing pickups.What needs to improve ? Without getting someone lynched or bad mouthing anyone in particular what constructive input can you give that will make the company better ?

if i say supervisor supervising or manager managing. is that pointing fingers? If the O/R numbers are good for your terminal is that enough? If your terminal has had a CORP visitor and they don't have anything negative to say about the appearance or operation of the terminal is everything fine? Everyday brings new puzzles , there really is no way to point to one thing or person to make things better. One day your the hero the next your the villian. Show up to work and do your best and let everybody else live with their selves for their performance. everything will show up in reports that CORP looks at one way or another. OD has their eyes on the ball .

1st-late freight, 2nd-late freight, 3rd-late freight. Fix that and many other problems will solve themselves.

well from linehaul side i have been down to gbo and have sat for 3-4 hours so movement would greatly improve things. one probably trucks they have alot of linehaul trucks out there running 700 to 800 thousand miles and are worked on frequently and normally when your not at a terminal. take nfk for instance all of our line haul trucks are over 700,000 but one. and they are worked on alot. i drive an 06 and close to 700,000 and they work on it alot they probably could have bought a new one as much money as they have dumped into it. but i really dont mind as long as i have something to drive. the sooner we get to our home terminals the quicker the city guys get on the street. i wouldnt trade my job for anything odfl is a great place to work.

Being numbers driven contributes to alot of other things being overlooked. While fully cognisant that numbers are an important facet, many other issues are not dealt with on the personnel side that should be. A TM basking in the glory of a good OR is fine, but when other issues are completely ignored, that is entirely something else.

Last year it rubbed me the wrong way when the VP that did our 2011 wage meeting went on and on how we were just as valuable to the company as he was. I did a quick look in the parking lot, apparrently he did not bring down a fleet of fancy company cars like he was driving for the rest of us. I've got a good job, I get a decent wage, but I'm not an idiot. Please don't feed me a bunch of BS. Your value to the company is told weekly in your paycheck.

Lately it has been hearing how well our company is doing, and watching the managers daily try to cut labor to the bone. Dispatchers have uniforms now. They are repainting the office. If anything is wrong they seem to be more than willing and able to put out the money to fix it or replace it. (Handtrucks, pallet jacks, roll-up doors, etc. if it is in need of repair or replacing it gets fixed...at least at our terminal.) God knows how much money they spent putting in permanent lines on the dock. When you are repainting an office that looks good and was totally redone recently, it pisses you off to get called to come in late or take a day off. I know how to use a paintbrush.

Grizz

Last edited by a moderator:
city bidding .....or should i say lack thereof at my barn seniority don't mean ****. on normal day i have 7-9 guys below me starting before me

I agree how about start times??? I see guys with less time with OD than me get more hours...What about over time after 48 or 45 hours? linehaul drivers get paid alot more than we do and work no ways as hard as P and D drivers do it with no stress either.When something gets cut its always P and D drivers not linehaul or office .I would also like to see some new 48 ft and 53 ft vans some of these trailers are really old .I know that OD is no# one as a Freight Carrier and im glad to be a part of it ...I think as a team we can improve.

Well i think that if they hire someone should work them. My brother just staetwd working out of par woeked for 2 weeks hasnt worked for 3. Days

I agree how about start times??? I see guys with less time with OD than me get more hours...What about over time after 48 or 45 hours? linehaul drivers get paid alot more than we do and work no ways as hard as P and D drivers do it with no stress either.When something gets cut its always P and D drivers not linehaul or office .I would also like to see some new 48 ft and 53 ft vans some of these trailers are really old .I know that OD is no# one as a Freight Carrier and im glad to be a part of it ...I think as a team we can improve.

As an outsider, one thing I can say is whatever the amount of hours are to achieve overtime is all you will get. If you want 48 hrs to begin overtime, then count on getting no more than 47. I hear 60 starts OT and OD, is that right? I'd rather work for a company that sets OT so high. It's ridiculous that anyone wouldnt get OT after 8/40, but thats the world we live in. The corporate environment is all about getting that "big dog" and his cronies that fat bonus while the drivers should just feel lucky to have a job.