ODFL | What should you do ?

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
If you're a road driver leaving a terminal or a local driver leaving a customer and you notice a car following you from a distance what should you do ? Have you got your mind on what you're doing and your surroundings or are you thinking about something else and not paying attention ? Have you done your job so long that you take everything for granted,that you go from one place to the next and never think someone is watching you or your load ? I'm not a driver but I know there are people that would really like to have what you've got in your trailer or what they think you've got.There are ruthless,killing people out there these days,to them you would be just a little bump in the road.Be careful,be alert.

I've only had a few problems so far. One guy faked hitting a telephone pole and came walking out towards me on a 4 lane city street early early one morning. I drooped a gear picked up a little speed and went around him. You should have seen that look of disappointment on the two bit gangsters face. He passed me in his supposed wrecked car a few moments later and kept going.

Had a guy follow me for a 120 miles one night could not tell what he was driving except it was a 4 wheeler. Finally went by me it was a pickup pulling a car trailer. It just seemed strange because we only did 62 MPH than.

people will sometimes follow just for the draft and not for anything sinister but it does not mean not to keep your eyes open and aware of your surroundings.

company policy

What's the policy or homeland security's ruling on somebody tagging behind you.I'm not a driver, somebody educate me.

company policy

What's the policy or homeland security's ruling on somebody tagging behind you.I'm not a driver, somebody educate me.

Stopped on an exit ramp at night once and as soon as I pulled the brakes I saw a 4wheeler pull right up behind me and thought that wasnt good so I got out of there and watched the car turn around back down the ramp.That was intuition I guess.

Kind of like a pilot reporting a UFO to the FFA. Report it probably going to make you look bad. Shake them yourself. Thats what I would most likely do.

I'm in my 44th year driving a city route.
I've been with a lot of companies that are out of business.

I'm currently in my 21st year with UPS Freight.

Over the years I've been asked a number of times what I'm hauling on my trailer.
I say your guess is as good as mine.
I say look around,and everything you see other then living creatures,and people I've delivered from time to time.

But I don't pay attention to what I deliver,I just drop it off where it should go,and drive to the next stop.

I have a combination lock to secure my trailer door,as well as locking both tractor doors at every stop.

When I'm driving I've never paid any attention to who was behind me.
I just look out in front,and both sides.

In all of my years I've only had some guy jump up on my drivers side fuel tank,when I backed to a dock behind a shopping center.

I opened my door and he went flying off on his back,laid there for a few minutes,got up in a daze,looked around,then ran to his car,and took off.

I never knew what he wanted,but I guess I made up his mind about sticking around.

I've had bums asking for money when I was down town,but I always say you've probaly have more money on you then I do.

So far so good on anything else in so many years in this business.

But I also pray for Gods help,when I'm driving to work,then I don't have to worry about how my day will go.

Stopped on an exit ramp at night once and as soon as I pulled the brakes I saw a 4wheeler pull right up behind me and thought that wasnt good so I got out of there and watched the car turn around back down the ramp.That was intuition I guess.

Gotta ask, and why did you stop on an exit ramp?

Kind of like a pilot reporting a UFO to the FFA. Report it probably going to make you look bad. Shake them yourself. Thats what I would most likely do.
FFA? Must have been a beginner pilot trying to report a UFO to the Future Farmers of America...

ALL pilots know that they're supposed to call their local 4-H or local county extension agent to report things like that!

The bottom line as truckers,if someone you don't know starts asking you about your trailers contents.
Its better to act dumb,never ever tell anyone what you have on.

Most of us have cell phones a lot of us have phones with cameras.
I carry a digital camera in my lunch bag.
When someone wants to get up close and personal,they'll think twice about doing something crooked when you snap off a picture of them,and their vehicle if you see it.
Pictures can be blown up large enough to see a clear license number.
I know I've already done this.
The car was a ways out,but when the print was inlarged the license number was very readable,and the cop thought I was very clever for using my camera.

When a stranger asks me for any more than directions.
My answer is short,and sweet.
I just say you've got me?
I've got to get going,enjoy the rest of your day,and I'm in the cab doing my photo shoot,then bye,bye,I'm gone!

The read I got was if you need something checked out quick it's 911. If it's something suspisious it's HLS.
Hey Jim Bob, you should have seen the '67 GTO 'vert I saw in Martinsville yesterday. White over red really clean.

The read I got was if you need something checked out quick it's 911. If it's something suspisious it's HLS.
Hey Jim Bob, you should have seen the '67 GTO 'vert I saw in Martinsville yesterday. White over red really clean.

You're wandering a little off topic.