ABF | What terminal numbers are hiring?

New Hire here

Just popped in here to check out this ABF forum. I worked for Yellow (not Roadway) and have counted 15 new casuals (all from Yellow) at your South Chicago terminal and there are at least 4 more from Yellow on the way, I know of! I do not want to bad mouth ABF at all because I feel this is a great company, great group of guys work here, the management does not get on out a$$es about production because we all already know the job.......it's a good company, but come on people...really, do you think Little Rock is really looking across the table at YRC eating that money pie (15% wage cut, not paying into the pension) and not wanting a slice for themselfs? Right now they are a handful of companies paying into the pension, how long do you think this will last? Hind sight is 20/20 and if I would of known then what I am living now? I would of worked all the overtime they offered (even if it killed me) and banked it!!!!!!!!!!!! because we Teamsters are not bullet proof. I hope none of you should have to go through what we at Yellow went through, we bought a company, we dove tailed in and so many of us Yellow guys lost our seniority. I am just talking reality here. I think they are hiring us for 2 reasons, 1 to cut back on overtime and 2 in hopes YRC goes down. After 22 years in this business, I never dreamed I would see this day! I am currently making $14.00 an hour and at this rate, to get my 3 credits for my retirement? it would take me 12 years @ 20% a day going toward my pension, if they work me a full 40 hours. I listen to ABF guys talk about YRC and say "f" them, it will never happen to us....................we used to say that too! BUT I am working, greatful, and like this company, I just hope the best for all of us and for god sakes........buy some dunnage lol Good luck ABF, I HOPE WE CAN RIDE OUT THIS STORM THAT BREWING ACROSS THE STREET

Just popped in here to check out this ABF forum. I worked for Yellow (not Roadway) and have counted 15 new casuals (all from Yellow) at your South Chicago terminal and there are at least 4 more from Yellow on the way, I know of! I do not want to bad mouth ABF at all because I feel this is a great company, great group of guys work here, the management does not get on out a$$es about production because we all already know the job.......it's a good company, but come on people...really, do you think Little Rock is really looking across the table at YRC eating that money pie (15% wage cut, not paying into the pension) and not wanting a slice for themselfs? Right now they are a handful of companies paying into the pension, how long do you think this will last? Hind sight is 20/20 and if I would of known then what I am living now? I would of worked all the overtime they offered (even if it killed me) and banked it!!!!!!!!!!!! because we Teamsters are not bullet proof. I hope none of you should have to go through what we at Yellow went through, we bought a company, we dove tailed in and so many of us Yellow guys lost our seniority. I am just talking reality here. I think they are hiring us for 2 reasons, 1 to cut back on overtime and 2 in hopes YRC goes down. After 22 years in this business, I never dreamed I would see this day! I am currently making $14.00 an hour and at this rate, to get my 3 credits for my retirement? it would take me 12 years @ 20% a day going toward my pension, if they work me a full 40 hours. I listen to ABF guys talk about YRC and say "f" them, it will never happen to us....................we used to say that too! BUT I am working, greatful, and like this company, I just hope the best for all of us and for god sakes........buy some dunnage lol Good luck ABF, I HOPE WE CAN RIDE OUT THIS STORM THAT BREWING ACROSS THE STREET
I am also a former yrc (roadway) driver i left 3 years ago when the merging started. Our terminal has hired 7 drivers in the 3 years and all were former yrc people and in the process of hiring more. Some of the reasons i think its getting busy is conway and fed ex pulled back on the huge discounts the economy is showing some life and its the time of year. Without a doubt abf would love to level the playing field with wage and pension reduction but thats not an option (for at least a year). The way i see it at some point we wll have to get out of this pension plan either abf buys it out or the teamsters come up with some kind of plan?

Good for you GO40 I am happy you have a new place to call home. As far as the pension plan goes...there are members at the 309 terminal who, as far as I can tell, have the years to retire (around 175 ) with 25 or better. I think that there should be a cap on the retirement. I know i'm going to get alot of Booo's on this one, but I hope to get out after 25, no more!, I just think that younger people should have a chance to climb up in the ranks also, now i'm not knocking these guys for sticking around for whatever reason they stay be it insurance, crappy home life, whatever...but I have had 4 good friends with the years in just die, just like that! one good friend of mine died right there in ahis trailer, one died right after 32 years, he retired, and 2 weeks later, he was gone, his family got crap......but oh yeah, they did send a letter to his house for not protecting his bid, hows that for 32 years of service to a company?, but a cap might help. I dont know! I have heard through the rumor mill that a 401K might be an option they are considering, I really hope this rumor is false, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Good luck to you buddy and drive safe.

Dockworker: do you really think ABF wants to see YRC go out of business. The reality is with 2 concessions they still can"t get it together and the ships sinking quick. Hell the captain(BZ) is even bailing with his GIANT Golden Parachute. Think again, we might as well be prepared. Personally I believe this new concession still won't help, with all the billions they have saved since this all started.

abf.jobs is a pretty good resource for this. I noticed a pilot position that I've never noticed before. There are currently no openings but I think I'll get the pilot endorsement in case the opening ever comes up again.

Would the PILOT endorsement compliment the TWIC card and appear as an "A" (air) on the license? And will it require another finger printing, DHS check, and cost $200.00 +?

Would the PILOT endorsement compliment the TWIC card and appear as an "A" (air) on the license? And will it require another finger printing, DHS check, and cost $200.00 +?

All the things you mention are in place to make us safer after 9/11 even though none of them would have prevented 9/11. I guess in many ways the terrorists won.

I took my first class to get my pilot endorsement and I joked around with the instructor that I only needed to learn how to take off--not to land. We had a good laugh but this is the type of thing that should have been reported immediately to the authorities and then they should have immediately acted on it. That would keep us much safer than stealing all this money from truck drivers for hazprint, TWIC cards, etc, etc.

Atta Boy - No buddy I do not want to see them go under and I am sure most ABF guys wouldnt either, but on the other hand I do not want to see a company treat people the way they are treating them either, I mean come on, with all the consession we already gave up to help them last time around and they still want more...........a sinking ship still sinks! Hell, the captian of the ship that's headed toward the iceberg is jumping off (as he should of done lonnnng ago), the union stewards are all for it because they get a seat of the board of directors, the ones humping their nuts to drive out this freight are the ones who are going to be hurt by all of this. There has to be a time when we teamsters have to stand up and say NO! I do not feel we will ever see what we already gave up back, let alone what they are asking us for now. I know it will be tough if they do close the doors, hell I was off for close to 2 years, but there is life after YRC...............ah hell, I don't know buddy, the only logical thing I can add to this is....Vote as you want or as you need to and hope it's the right choice.........I myself voted NO AND i WILL NEVER SECOND GUESS THAT CHOICE!.Good luck to all affected. As far as this thread? The total for 034 right now is 18 new hires and was told that 3 more I know from yellow is headed in, one just went for a physical and **** test today.........I don't know how many they plan on hiring, but I do not see the freight for all of us either, if this helps at all. Thanks guys for welcoming us to this company, great group of guys at 034

Just to keep all of you updated.... 5 more are ok'd to come aboard which makes the total as of 10-20, up to 23 new hires at 034, they have something up their sleeve, don't know what it is tho.

Just to keep all of you updated.... 5 more are ok'd to come aboard which makes the total as of 10-20, up to 23 new hires at 034, they have something up their sleeve, don't know what it is tho.

This is same thought we have here in calif . They are gearing up for something. And as always we are kept out of the loop!!
But mark my words something is coming!! I have not seen them hire so many road drivers in 1 year. IE: 150 155 139 :icon_dance:

Mad Trucker, I am keeping my options open, still putting in resumes, in case this goes south like YRC. I hate to keep asking this question, but why hire so many guys when the bottom of the list is not even getting 3 days a week? I have not a clue as to what they have planned, all we can do is wait and see. This company is not stupid as far as I can tell. Good luck to all of us.