New Penn | What terminals have been using cartage for citywork?

Holland is starting to use local cartage now too. Too many guys leaving and can't fill the positions. Started doing it in Columbus, and I don't know where else.
Had a new linehaul guy ask me how to get on the interstate from here...I pointed to it..lol

Newburgh has been doing it for as long as I was there.. And they are still using them as I see them almost everyday where I live.. They also had a move of medical equipment that we picked up and then sent it to either Holland or Reddaway and it stayed on the dock till it was picked up by a small carrier that did white glove service.. All those arrangements were handled by the shipper..

Holland is starting to use local cartage now too. Too many guys leaving and can't fill the positions. Started doing it in Columbus, and I don't know where else.
Had a new linehaul guy ask me how to get on the interstate from here...I pointed to it..lol

Columbus will keep losing it's drivers...with UPS, Walmart, and ABF nearby looking for drivers plus some of the non-unions paying more it's going to get interesting. YRC will bleed us all dry before this is over, they just missed the bench marks on the re-fi , again....sure am glad I walked when I did.

Theyve been using local lowlife cartage companies to hook up to trailers at our dock using the excuse that they need to keep customers and nobody is applying.
I was told that Baltimore and maybe 10 others including Boston are using them.
These guys get paid $19/hr w/ no bennies.
Who else is using them?
East Coast Freight Director was notified before they even hit the dock. His answer was that they can under article 32.

The cartage company they work for probably get five times that easily.

Joliet for sure!!

Akron Holland too. They route inbound to a local cartage trailer then don't have enough work or equipment to send everyone on the street, some city drivers have to stay on the dock their entire shift. I was standing next to the Ops Mgr last week when the city steward came up and started to argue with the Ops Mgr about giving away freight. This will come to a head before too much longer.

Akron filed an unsafe equipment grievance over the kingpins falling off Holland 209 series trailers, and we won. We all got a letter in the mail from Local 24 saying don't pulls 209 trailers. The grievance procedure still works we just have to utilize it to write good grievances. We must have twenty or thirty 209 trailers sitting out behind the terminal with out of service tags on them. They have been selling them off and some guy with a wrecker pulls one or two a week out of the yard.

Akron Holland too. They route inbound to a local cartage trailer then don't have enough work or equipment to send everyone on the street, some city drivers have to stay on the dock their entire shift. I was standing next to the Ops Mgr last week when the city steward came up and started to argue with the Ops Mgr about giving away freight. This will come to a head before too much longer.

Akron filed an unsafe equipment grievance over the kingpins falling off Holland 209 series trailers, and we won. We all got a letter in the mail from Local 24 saying don't pulls 209 trailers. The grievance procedure still works we just have to utilize it to write good grievances. We must have twenty or thirty 209 trailers sitting out behind the terminal with out of service tags on them. They have been selling them off and some guy with a wrecker pulls one or two a week out of the yard.

Surprised as I was reading about the 209 trailers, I figured they would put New Penn decals on them and send them to us as new :hysterical:

We have been getting 2-3 new trailers delivered to us per day.

17 uses Van Auken for delivery points that are way off the beaten path that we dont have anything else going there. Also in return Van Auken brings us freight such as Hannay Reels to our dock nightly. Shop Steward said its been an accepted practice for years here and not to worry about it. Van Auken is a union carrier based in the Albany NY area. We have 4 guys on layoff and the building is empty -225 delivery bills, 170 on the outbound.

Lmao!!! You didn't see this coming?? Guys started leaving after the 2nd MOU.. what did you think would happen after you voted in this last POS MOU?? Cinnaminson lost 7 guys this year and more are leaving.. NPME has turned into a **** company. With **** equipment.. All they're pushing for now is the stupid ass safety meetings.. And now they want to form a safety committee!! I've been here over 26 years and this place is a joke anymore.. Loaded up with part time dock workers, drivers just out of school.. And now we have some new century drivers and all they do is **** and moan about the stops or going out with 10 deliveries!!! Then they ***** about paying dues but the next sentence they want to know when their health benefits start!! It's a ******* joke!! Sad part is, too many guys voted this in and now they're seeing the effects of it.. As far as the cartage, we have used one since I've been here to take the shore freight for deliveries.. All deliveries with none or very little freight to be picked up there. I filed a grievance over it and the decision was to give it to YRC since they go there.. Guess what, YRC COMPLAINED ABOUT THE FREIGHT AND STOPPED TAKING OUR FREIGHT!!! That says it all about that company!!

Pre-shift been shoving that safety garbage down our throats for the past 6 months. Waste of time.
Ran-off a lot of employees the past 2-3 years. Now 4 hr casuals, cartage, and a few bored retirees.
92? employees. Smallest barn, but we currently hold the title for most accidents (15) in the district this year.
LOL! My motto, "safety first."