ABF | What the non union carriers think of us at ABF.

Turbo, I notice that you harbor no resentment to ABF or the Teamsters in general. I do hope that you & your coworkers realize that ABF is largely responsible for you making the wages & benefits you do. Without us you would be earning about what the factory workers do that you mentioned. Conway & other nonunion companies pay only as much as they have to in order to attract & retain good employees like you.
nope zero resentment,and the ones with brains @ conway realize the importance of the ibt and my wage.keep fighting the good fight ,my brothers.

am i a lamb to be slaughtered on this page?lol,sorry guys i dont usually nose into other ltl co. posts but i seen the thread and took a chance.merry christmas drivers.

am i a lamb to be slaughtered on this page?lol,sorry guys i dont usually nose into other ltl co. posts but i seen the thread and took a chance.merry christmas drivers.
55 we have people from many companies that come here. You can post. But when a troll comes he leaves sad. So join in and just maybe we can all learn something. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Is this some sort of statement to me. If someone that is elected and does not do the job well then I have the right to say so. Only 18% of the Teamsters voted in the last election and it shows how low he hoffa has driven the members. They don't even care enough to vote. If you are a hoffa supporter that is your right but I am not and that is my right.

Muler, this was not directed at you. I was just stating a fact. I spoke with Jimmy Hoffa several years ago. I found him to be courteous & he listened to what I had to say. Not all of the problems we have today can be blamed on him. The most arrogant president I remember was Ron Carey. I have no resentment to those who liked him, that is a matter of opinion & I respect my brothers/sisters opinions.
I agree with you about the lack of participation in our elections. I would rather see the candidate I vote for lose & have 100% of eligible voters cast their ballots. Usually 25% or less of the members vote in a Teamster election. It is sad when all a Teamster has to do is mark a ballot & put it in the mail & they don't care enough to even do that. When I met Jimmy Hoffa I told him it could not be made any easier for a brother/sister to vote. I think it is disrespectful of Teamsters of years gone by who fought so hard for this union for us to not vote.

Come on and let me teach you a thing or two. May I call you GRASSHOPPER?

Consolidated Financial Statement

And after you read the link remember when they say a true Consolidated OR is not real unless it has been accomplished by a GAAP method. Then go look at the one ABC has POSTED FOR THE PUBLIC! I am enjoying this GRASSHOPPER!

YOUR OBFUSCATING BROTHER ALWAYS!

MR. Moderator Muler, I understand you think of yourself as a great researcher who is able to find things others do not. But you are denying a self-evident truth and doing your typical best to try to confuse the issue. The folks in these pages understand the companies that ABC via funds from ABF are putting to use have nothing to do with the unionized LTL industry. Why on earth would anyone care what the operating ratio is for Albert Moving Company? How is the operating ratio of Panther Transportation relevant to a discussion about the highest operating ratio in the LTL industry? How about YRC regional, do they compete in the LTL industry? Yes they do and so their performance along with YRC Freight, which also competes in the industry is relevant. Digging into ABC financials has nothing to do with the subject at hand, i.e. the worst O.R. in the LTL industry. Having a discussion on the different methods of accounting might make for an interesting discussion and I would welcome the opportunity to inform you as to the differences between a publicly traded company and privately traded company but that won't have anything to do with the highest operating ratio in the LTL industry.

Are we ever going to get to why ABC is building assets from ABF?

MR. Moderator Muler, I understand you think of yourself as a great researcher who is able to find things others do not. But you are denying a self-evident truth and doing your typical best to try to confuse the issue. The folks in these pages understand the companies that ABC via funds from ABF are putting to use have nothing to do with the unionized LTL industry. Why on earth would anyone care what the operating ratio is for Albert Moving Company? How is the operating ratio of Panther Transportation relevant to a discussion about the highest operating ratio in the LTL industry? How about YRC regional, do they compete in the LTL industry? Yes they do and so their performance along with YRC Freight, which also competes in the industry is relevant. Digging into ABC financials has nothing to do with the subject at hand, i.e. the worst O.R. in the LTL industry. Having a discussion on the different methods of accounting might make for an interesting discussion and I would welcome the opportunity to inform you as to the differences between a publicly traded company and privately traded company but that won't have anything to do with the highest operating ratio in the LTL industry.

YRC shouldn't even be in the equation as long as the givebacks are in place otherwise they might have a OR of around 125..

And...are we ever going to get around to answering why you came to work for ABF since you consider it such a loser...when FedEx or ConWay would of been a much better fit for you?

LOL

And...are we ever going to get around to answering why you came to work for ABF since you consider it such a loser...when FedEx or ConWay would of been a much better fit for you?

LOL

Brother Docker- I rather enjoy working for ABF. I have lots of respect for its management team. I also have lots of respect for my Union. I understand and appreciate the concept of having a contract that holds both parties accountable. Certainly the Non-Union companies do not have contracts with their employees and can change the terms of employment at the employers whim. If I was willing to work for such a company, I would have done that when I left YRC.

I became active in truckingboards a few months ago in anticipation of our contract. I share a vastly different perspective on the health of our pension than many in this forum. I have always believed the best way to solve a problem is to first admit the problem exists and then find the best way to solve the problem. The more severe the problem, the worse the medicine. When I took the job at ABF I was aware of the possibility of labor conflict on the next contract. That did not deter me because in the end I always support the will of the rank and file. We have not reached that point yet and the conversation continues as to how the next contract will be structured. And no matter how hard you and Muler try, I am not going anywhere!

Brother Docker- I rather enjoy working for ABF. I have lots of respect for its management team. I also have lots of respect for my Union. I understand and appreciate the concept of having a contract that holds both parties accountable. Certainly the Non-Union companies do not have contracts with their employees and can change the terms of employment at the employers whim. If I was willing to work for such a company, I would have done that when I left YRC.

I became active in truckingboards a few months ago in anticipation of our contract. I share a vastly different perspective on the health of our pension than many in this forum. I have always believed the best way to solve a problem is to first admit the problem exists and then find the best way to solve the problem. The more severe the problem, the worse the medicine. When I took the job at ABF I was aware of the possibility of labor conflict on the next contract. That did not deter me because in the end I always support the will of the rank and file. We have not reached that point yet and the conversation continues as to how the next contract will be structured. And no matter how hard you and Muler try, I am not going anywhere!

We don't want you to go anywhere...after all...you don't realize this...but you are one of the best tools we use to get our point across. So...keep up the good work!

What I can't seem to understand is why would you apply to work for a company...get the job and then complain of how poorly they are doing? It just doesn't add up!

nothumbleenough: So was is your solution to all of this, this is where we exchange ideas and try to keep each other informed. So lets say we signed a 5 year contract would you be willing to pay something toward your pension out of your check each week. Would you be willing to pay 100.00 a week toward your pension in the first year, 75.00 the second, 50.00 the third, 25.00 in the fourth and 25.00 in the last year. Lets say they left wages and pension like they are now. Think of the savings to ABF if all 7500 teamster employee were willing to do this. Even this would be a cut in wages, but the money would still go to paying into the funds just an idea. Muler put out an idea, lets hear yours or do you think ABF should just leave all of the pension funds.

nothumbleenough: So was is your solution to all of this, this is where we exchange ideas and try to keep each other informed. So lets say we signed a 5 year contract would you be willing to pay something toward your pension out of your check each week. Would you be willing to pay 100.00 a week toward your pension in the first year, 75.00 the second, 50.00 the third, 25.00 in the fourth and 25.00 in the last year. Lets say they left wages and pension like they are now. Think of the savings to ABF if all 7500 teamster employee were willing to do this. Even this would be a cut in wages, but the money would still go to paying into the funds just an idea. Muler put out an idea, lets hear yours or do you think ABF should just leave all of the pension funds.

The solution you have put forth is $5200 year 1, $3900 year 2, $2600 year 3 and $1300 for years 4 and 5. All total, $14300 times the number of employees 7,200 (purposely lower due to layoffs) would equate to $103 million in extra revenue specifically for the pension. An extra 100 million set aside specifically for retirees of ABF would absolutely make an impact on the pension. This assumes a wall of separation between ABF retirees and retirees who never worked at ABF which is similar to some of the reform the hybrid plan introduces. The complications come about with all the different pensions ABF contributes too which are not neccessarily in the financial trouble CSPF is in. Meaning the Trustees of these other pensions may not be very flexible considering the presidence that could be established by taking less especially if they still have others paying full price. One other significant factor in the equation of fixing our pension is the high number of ABF Teamsters within 5 years or less of retirement. Meaning the actuaries, (the guys who do a statistical analysis on every important number) would be slightly stumped if too many guys retired in a short period of time.

On the bright side, we are the only people sitting at the table and our contract can be almost anything the rank and file want it to be. This contract can be far outside the box of previous NMFA. It has been my perspective that Management is very professional and honorable in how they conduct themselves as a rule. Brent the Dispatcher in Little Rock is an exception to that rule though. Anyway this operation is night and day better than YRC. They expect you to do your job correct and in turn, they do their job well. I really like and appreciate the difference in management styles from YRC. I believe we have good folks sitting across the table.

Lastly, every Teamster has to ask themselves is this negotiation different than any of the others we have all gone through?. What is different about it? Or no it is any different, management vs. The Teamsters Union. They put on the boxing gloves and settle things in closed door negotiations.

Have you lost it completely. They build assets because they are the holding company(ie The parent company). You are just trying to get out off being completely wrong on the ABF having the worst OR. You were going by the numbers given out by a non GAAP report. and it was a combined OR not that of ABF ALONE! Again Brothers on this forum can see you are not as you pretend to be. I hope but am not confident that you are a better driver than a poster. I posted fact and links and you posted BS. YOUR WATCHING YOU SPIRAL DOWN BROTHER ALWAYS!

I could care less whether you stay or go. But you will not be allowed to just post lies or misleading statements and get away with it. You are not as smart as you want others to believe and it is apparent to many of us. We knew the pension had and still does have problems but we work to fix them not abandon it. We don't cry the sky is falling we hold it in place. You cry and talk of doom and gloom but still no real answers. So stay or go but you will be held to telling the truth and respecting others.

The solution you have put forth is $5200 year 1, $3900 year 2, $2600 year 3 and $1300 for years 4 and 5. All total, $14300 times the number of employees 7,200 (purposely lower due to layoffs) would equate to $103 million in extra revenue specifically for the pension. An extra 100 million set aside specifically for retirees of ABF would absolutely make an impact on the pension. This assumes a wall of separation between ABF retirees and retirees who never worked at ABF which is similar to some of the reform the hybrid plan introduces. The complications come about with all the different pensions ABF contributes too which are not neccessarily in the financial trouble CSPF is in. Meaning the Trustees of these other pensions may not be very flexible considering the presidence that could be established by taking less especially if they still have others paying full price. One other significant factor in the equation of fixing our pension is the high number of ABF Teamsters within 5 years or less of retirement. Meaning the actuaries, (the guys who do a statistical analysis on every important number) would be slightly stumped if too many guys retired in a short period of time.

On the bright side, we are the only people sitting at the table and our contract can be almost anything the rank and file want it to be. This contract can be far outside the box of previous NMFA. It has been my perspective that Management is very professional and honorable in how they conduct themselves as a rule. Brent the Dispatcher in Little Rock is an exception to that rule though. Anyway this operation is night and day better than YRC. They expect you to do your job correct and in turn, they do their job well. I really like and appreciate the difference in management styles from YRC. I believe we have good folks sitting across the table.

Lastly, every Teamster has to ask themselves is this negotiation different than any of the others we have all gone through?. What is different about it? Or no it is any different, management vs. The Teamsters Union. They put on the boxing gloves and settle things in closed door negotiations.
First off they the pension funds will never allow us a self contribution Claus. It changes the funds rules for payments to the participant. In other words we would have better rules in our favor if CSPF had been a self contributor fund. You are crying about a moot point. The fund and the companies have been granted the hybird if and when they choose to use it.That will eliminate all the so called ORPHANS people like you cry about. So move on we do not have any voting power to opt out of CSPF at the present time. All anyone has to do is read the NEPF hybird that UPS received and that seems to be where CSPF is going.Now you speak of the other FUNDS we are CSPF the one you have been crying about for months and now you try to go off on the other funds status. ABF has said it is CSPF that they are the most concerned about. Roughly 58% of the ABF Teamsters are in CSPF. Trust me the pension fund argument is being addressed.

ARE YOU SERIOUS. THIS MAKES ME LAUGH, I REALLY DON'T THINK YOU ARE BEING HONEST HERE. You came from YRCW, but you sure don't talk like any teamster. Our forefathers would be turning over in their graves. What you say and how you say it say's something else altogether.

Are you serious. You sure want to include Holland and New Penn in with YRCW'S operating ratio, But you are only posting what you want to make everybody believe that the only way ABF will survive is for us to make concessions, that we cannot live with. There is other options, and it is in ABFS court now. I personally do not believe ABF is in financial dire, and on the verge of going broke. As I see it you only want ABF TEAMSTERS to take cuts, why don't you come up with solutions, and tell us what management will be giving up in order for us to be profitable and competitive.

You just can't pick and choose what you want to include, . I don't care if you are a teamster, or in management If you are going to state how bad we are then use all the facts and not just the ones that look better to you.

Last edited by a moderator: