TForce | What to do about cartage.

UPGF4IBT

TB Lurker
Credits
Since UPS rarely if ever uses cartage to move it's parcels.I'm curious to know what will become of cartage terminals like BKL??...Foraterminalthatbusy.I find it ridiculous that UPS even considers doing business there much longer...I for one would be the first in line if ever a terminal did open in the NYC area!!!

UPGF4IBT said:
Since UPS rarely if ever uses cartage to move it's parcels.I'm curious to know what will become of cartage terminals like BKL??...Foraterminalthatbusy.I find it ridiculous that UPS even considers doing business there much longer...I for one would be the first in line if ever a terminal did open in the NYC area!!!
I think they will stop useing cartage companys. More profit for them when they do. Its still early yet, Im sure there are plenty of changes to come.

UPGF4IBT said:

I take it you are talking about Truckrite?
If that becomes the NYC UPSF terminal, the possibility of throwing out thier white paper contract and making them Teamsters is a viable option. Then they would probably have to stop hauling Estes, R & L, and any other non union freight.

Animo916 said:
I take it you are talking about Truckrite?
If that becomes the NYC UPSF terminal, the possibility of throwing out thier white paper contract and making them Teamsters is a viable option. Then they would probably have to stop hauling Estes, R & L, and any other non union freight.

I would prefer that UPSF start from the ground up, or intergrate FRM and MOO into the area covered by truck-rite...

UPGF4IBT said:
I would prefer that UPSF start from the ground up, or intergrate FRM and MOO into the area covered by truck-rite...

I take it FRM would be Farmingdale, but where is MOO?
Personally, I'd prefer to see Truckrite get organized and lose the other nons, as opposed to UPSF pulling out of there and starting fresh. It's a nice piece of property with 2 docks. The only propbelm is it's a fly by night operation and one look at the docks and the freight will tell you so. If UPSF starts fresh in NYC, then all truckrite would have to do is find another non to carry for and they would still be a thorn in everyone's side. I think UPSF taking over the facility and continued organizing of the company would be a win win situation for everyone.

UPS couldn't take it over, it's truckrites operation. They could leave truckrite when their contract with them is up, but would then have to find a terminal. Whose in Preston's old barn next door these days anyway?

CCXdriver said:
UPS couldn't take it over, it's truckrites operation. They could leave truckrite when their contract with them is up, but would then have to find a terminal. Whose in Preston's old barn next door these days anyway?

Old Dominion moved there

Well, I know one thing for sure...all the jobs in that tiny area of Maspeth sure do produce alot of work each day, and I believe that Overnite was the only major player to not have its own NYC operation. I also heard that Boston is carted out as well.

Animo916 said:
I take it FRM would be Farmingdale, but where is MOO?
Personally, I'd prefer to see Truckrite get organized and lose the other nons, as opposed to UPSF pulling out of there and starting fresh. It's a nice piece of property with 2 docks. The only propbelm is it's a fly by night operation and one look at the docks and the freight will tell you so. If UPSF starts fresh in NYC, then all truckrite would have to do is find another non to carry for and they would still be a thorn in everyone's side. I think UPSF taking over the facility and continued organizing of the company would be a win win situation for everyone.

I;m sure that may be the easiest route rather than starting from the ground up. However, that property would not work well for UPSF IMHO. A single building with a more open yard to allow vans and sets to hook/unhook with ease within the confines of the yard. Something similar to the Yellow or New Penn terminal would be ideal.

Truck-Rite will never be organized ! that place gives opportunity to ex-cons to earn somewhat of a living, guys with messed up licenses that can't land a job with a top of the line co., and hires rookies with zero experience. also there has always been that rumor floating around that the mob controls that co. so it wouldn't be wise to mess with their operation.

i just classified the 3 type of people that work for Dump-Rite, you think anyone of these guys dare to open their mouths about anything ?

You're right about who works there, and I know who supposedly used to own the company, but I think they're union already. Not Teamsters, but some B.S. union or another.

krash said:
UPS owns MENLO which is now branded UPS Custom Cartage. They be TEAMSTERs here bro

I was trying to figure out if UPS cartage is what he is talking about or what.

It might be Interline carriers.