What to do when you see a deer.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Dockworker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. mikey

mikey Tired of being lied to...

My advice, when your driving in a truck, hit 'em hard. If you hit the deer and wreck the truck, it is a non-preventable accident. No problem. If you hit the ditch to avoid the deer, it is preventable, and as far as the company is concerned, your fault. Even if there was little damage to equipment.

2. eric1171ky

eric1171ky New Member

i hit a deer once, those f`ers come out of nowhere, if you can see them beforehand your very lucky, and can slow down. but the ones that get hit are running through the trees and just pop out right in front of you, they dont stop to check traffic

3. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Active Member

Witnessed one like that in Indiana. Had kust grabbed 74 East off of 465 and about a mile ahead I see something falling from the bridge, a lot of black smoke and brake lights. Eas it up there. Two deer had jumped off the bridge into the EB lanes one was down in the median and gone, the other was laying down on the zipper but had its head up. The big truck that had smoked all 18 was in the right lane still getting checking his shorts so I eased to the left lane and very carefully drove around Bambi's legs. When my steer axle had just passed him, he stood up, ran next to me for 50 feet or so, and then cut in front of me, across the median and the WB lanes and into the woods.

4. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

I agree with Grocery Thrower....... He is a true American !!

5. ExtremeEzine

ExtremeEzine New Member

I hit one on I-94 in Michigan last year and I swear there wasn't anything bigger than a hamburger left of the poor thing and I was only going about 60. It was just the way I hit it I guess but there was a huge blood spot that took almost two lanes, small body pieces from bumper to the tandems. It was like the thing went through a meat grinder. The amazing thing was it only bent the bumper back and nothing else was damaged.

I do have a correction from the original post:

should say "DO NOT swerve to miss it or to hit it" for those of you down south :biglaugh:

6. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

CA.Heres an example of a guy swerving to avoid a deer in the road.
    This pickup driver found himself going over a 20 foot embankment.
    Deer Blamed For Highway 49 Crash - Sacramento Traffic News Story - KCRA Sacramento

[​IMG]

I agree with most,slow down as much as you can if you have time.
    But not so fast where some other vehicle is going to ram you in the tail.
    Take dead aim at the animal if it is in your lane then hold on to your dentures.

Swerving is the worst plan,stay in your lane at all cost,and you should get a pass on whatever the results turn out to be.

Deer are running around the fall months so this time of year it is not if you see one or more deer but when,and where you are going to see them.

7. 5wire

5wire New Member

Since the deer have horns should not the DOT require them to have lights?

8. outofworkjoe

outofworkjoe Member

Had one standing in the middle the I78 last night,I was going down an hill around 65.Seen his white eye balls,moved my set over into left lane and slowed down some.The sucker ran back into the woods.This happen very fast,I had room to move over,3 lane high way around 3am.

9. Hiballin

Hiballin Active Member

Dang what kind of Bear is that.Got a car and a shotgun.Most bears kill with their teeth and paws.:biglaugh:

10. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

I saw a bear flying around one time.... it had one of those propeller hats on....

11. Hiballin

Hiballin Active Member

I think it's time to lay off the weed dude:biglaugh::biglaugh:

12. Hiballin

Hiballin Active Member

What I do when I hit a Deer Call the wife and tell her to fire up the Grill.

13. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

Naaaaaa...."I go until the ice melts"

HUU Raa

14. radman

radman moving and grooving

I don't know why you have to have a license to shoot them and can only hunt during certain times of the year. Its not like there endangered. They are a menace to society and should be treated as such. The only good deer is the deer in my sausage.

15. Italian Style

Italian Style Active Member

Remember, that is the same reprecaution that drivers need to take when they see a moose too.

16. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

Stick my .45 out the window.... and try to catch my rounds

17. imported_OleGuy

imported_OleGuy Member

18. CHAVEZ007

CHAVEZ007 Member

I drive straight through them don't swerve for them or anything. I would rather replace a hood or some fairings than end up in a pine box because I swerved for the thing!!

19. Tyroleer

Tyroleer New Member

[quote author=Dockworker link=topic=40970.msg390039#msg390039 date=1217725057]
    Have you hit or almost hit a deer? Majority of the time it's because the deer jumps out in front of us out of nowhere.
    Motorists should always..............

Not in our Country.
    Have you ever heard from Gulash?
    It's a Hungarian Dish.Very Spicy :hyper:

20. Tyroleer

Tyroleer New Member

[quote author=outofworkjoe link=topic=40970.msg733456#msg733456 date=1256070785]
    Had one standing in the middle the I78 last night,I was going down an hill around 65.Seen his white eye balls,moved my set over into left lane and slowed down some.The sucker ran back into the woods.This happen very fast,I had room to move over,3 lane high way around 3am.
    [/quote]

Just,....
    Don't follow them.Yes? You don't do that. Not even in the Recession.
    Recovery of a truck from the Bushes is expensive.
    OK?