Estes | What to do?

castteam

TB Lurker
Credits

Been with the Big E now for 6 years.. 3 years ago
I won a bid for Hub Flex starting between the hours of 8 and 10 everynight.. 2 weeks later after i signed the bid, they cut the Hub Flex out.. They re classified me as Hub Utility. I was
the only one on nights to cover sick call ins and vacations. So, for 2 years and 7 months I was paid in black an white Hub category pay. Several months ago they changed Hub Utility to Line Haul utility and gave us new ID,s. Now, in the last month they have changed us again, Utility drivers are a classification of there own.. Now. 2 weeks after they changed us to Line haul utility, a Hub run came up for bid at my barn.. They wouldnt let me carry my Hub length of service with me.. run awarded to Line Haul person with more
company time. I have been doing this Utility work now for 3 years out of the 6.. recently 3 guys signed a bid , all 3 of us Utility classification.. The other 2 guys have only been in the Utility class for a year or slightly more.. I have 3 years as Utility.. The run was awarded to the guy with the most company time.. As I read our current policy, the man with the greatest lentgh of service in his classification gets awarded the run.. My point is, (lentgh of service) is the date you started in your class, not your company time.. Therefor, I with 2 more years in the Utility class should have been awarded the run according to current company policy.. I sure would like some insight on this.. What do some of you think?
I love working for the Big E, but sometimes it gets crazy..
Keep on truckin!! :shift:
Mighty Mo

seems to me u r getting wrapped up in the 90 day rule,i'm no expert on senority,but by them reclassifying u they put u in a different class,then by rights when u bid into the new position,u were not ther for 90 days so therefor total company time would take effect.by them reclassing u,it was not ur chose,so therefore i don't think this whole process is 100 percent fair to u,my thoughts,someone else jump in

under current rule being used, you will lose any posted run to a driver with more company time.

if it is a hub run it goes to hub driver if no hub driver signs it it goes to driver with longest company time in any driver classification. so a city ,linehaul, driver utility can get it.

same goes for linehaul run, linehaul driver gets first choice then goes out to all drivers with most company time.

you are utility driver. so you can not get a run over anyone with more company time than you. no matter what classification they are or how long they been in that classification.

you are not in a great spot for getting a run if you have city drivers or hub drivers with more years than you wanting linehaul runs. only way to better your position is to go to extra board. then you will be able to bypass company time and get it as long as another linehaul driver doesnt sign up for it.

your time at linehaul utility means nothing for getting a run. you can go to city next week and you will be in same exact spot for getting a run. if you are not linehaul or hub. it goes to longest time at company. but only driving time counts, if you worked as a dockman before driving for ten years, that ten years does not count in company time.

sorry for what you are going through, but if you want a run you got to go extra board, or hope run sucks so bad no one wants it so you can get it.

hope i didnt confuse you

basicaly job classification time no longer counts for utility or city for bidding on runs.

only company time as a driver does.

your hub time did not count for bidding cause currently you are not a hub driver.

and if it is a hub run a linehaul classification time does not count to bid on it, it would be his total company time as a driver.

as a utility driver you are not going to get a run unless it is bad enough nobody with more years at company wants it.

you now have to think in company years, not job classification years.

if you can get on extra board then your job classification time would count. and you can outbid all drivers in city and utility.

so much for this new class of utility driver,will stayaway from this class and advise others the same.by company changing class with out your agreement really seems to blow.sorry for your situation,hope things go better for you

no doubt. i would think a re bid so guys are not forced into these spots. man all i can say is hold on things are goofy right now. if you do feel like your getting the shaft call hr and see what they say

Thanks for the insight.. I knew i was screwed when they
changed my classification, my intention on signing the bid
3 years ago was to move towards the Hub Class, all that
hard work I did for this company in that 3 years plus what
i did the 3 years before, what a thank you.. I no more
go the extra mile for this company.. They took away something that i earned with blood sweat and plain hard work. No more favors..
Keep on truckin!!:shift:

Mighty Mo

so castteam,are you just going by what your tm has told you? i like beerboy's suggestion, would call hr,corporate,or anyone who would listen.maybe worst case,they would keep it the way it is for now and then in nov or dec let rebid into the position you want to make it right.few phone calls,nothing to loose,alot to gain. good luck

They change stuff around here so often it makes your head spin.
Be alot easier if we had two boards CITY AND ROAD, but nothing here seems to make any sense anymore, like you said just KEEP ON TRUCKING :TR10driving03:

I got a bid!!!! For what its worth

Well, you said it.. the only way for me to get out of the
utility class was to get a bid no one else wanted, well it
happened.. Out of 30 some drivers only 2 of us put our
name on the bid.. It really surprised me that the older guys
didnt take this run, its 400 miles a night.. many feel it will
be canceled so thats why they didnt put there names on it..
Oh well, if its cancel so be it, but some say it will be changed from a hub to linehaul run.. Even then so, if its changed from a hub to linehaul run, is the run still mine? If I read our policy right, it says a run modification does not justify a re-posting of the run.. Anyway, I am just glad
to be on a fixed start time and run for now..

Keep on TRUCKIN BIG E ers!!!!!!:shift:
Mighty Mo comith!! :clap:

Well, you said it.. the only way for me to get out of the
utility class was to get a bid no one else wanted, well it
happened.. Out of 30 some drivers only 2 of us put our
name on the bid.. It really surprised me that the older guys
didnt take this run, its 400 miles a night.. many feel it will
be canceled so thats why they didnt put there names on it..
Oh well, if its cancel so be it, but some say it will be changed from a hub to linehaul run.. Even then so, if its changed from a hub to linehaul run, is the run still mine? If I read our policy right, it says a run modification does not justify a re-posting of the run.. Anyway, I am just glad
to be on a fixed start time and run for now..

Keep on TRUCKIN BIG E ers!!!!!!:shift:
Mighty Mo comith!! :clap:

Well congrats on the run,man.Keep your nose clean and do your job well.Even if you have to do a little extra.

Change of classification that's different.If they change it from hub to linehaul then it would be up for re-bid.

seems to me u r getting wrapped up in the 90 day rule,i'm no expert on senority,but by them reclassifying u they put u in a different class,then by rights when u bid into the new position,u were not ther for 90 days so therefor total company time would take effect.by them reclassing u,it was not ur chose,so therefore i don't think this whole process is 100 percent fair to u,my thoughts,someone else jump in
You are a at will employee they can do what they want nothing you can do but b#$@ IMHO.Good luck for what it`s worth.

Not according to hire ups I have spoken to, a modification of a run.. As long as run from
point A to point B is still intact in any modification, reguardless of Hub change to Line haul change, does not justify a re-bid of the run.. But the fact remians, the company does what it wants to at any given time.. So, we keep on truckin and take things
day by day..
Stay safe and keep the rubber side down!!

The suck@ss's are going to want that run if it changes. :butt kiss: They will do anything they can to get your TM to post that run if it becomes a regular drop & hook.:ranting2: Expecially the fat lazy driver that's next in line. If I were you I would call J.Johnson before anything changes and let him know the deal. I would tell him that you've been hearing rumors about that hub run changing to a linehaul run. If it does change that you don't think it's fair to yank the run from under you and give it to one of those sorry, no good for nuth'ns that dont wan't to do anything but drive folks. You sacrificed your milage pay and your dockwork pay is less than an a stress free forklifter that doesn't have to have an endorsement for ::shit::. Let him know you swallowed your pride and your dignity just so you can be home and sleep all day near your loved ones.:biglaugh:

The suck@ss's are going to want that run if it changes. :butt kiss: They will do anything they can to get your TM to post that run if it becomes a regular drop & hook.:ranting2: Expecially the fat lazy driver that's next in line. If I were you I would call J.Johnson before anything changes and let him know the deal. I would tell him that you've been hearing rumors about that hub run changing to a linehaul run. If it does change that you don't think it's fair to yank the run from under you and give it to one of those sorry, no good for nuth'ns that dont wan't to do anything but drive folks. You sacrificed your milage pay and your dockwork pay is less than an a stress free forklifter that doesn't have to have an endorsement for ::shit::. Let him know you swallowed your pride and your dignity just so you can be home and sleep all day near your loved ones.:biglaugh:

Mildew,take your meds man.Calm down.:biglaugh:

Maybe we need to just bid it all every year all 1 board Line Haul,Hub,City and let the chips fall maybe some of the big boys you talk about might end up on a city bid and run some of the fat off wouldn't that be fun to see. But you are right if you did 10 years on the dock then They let you be 'TRUCK DRIVER' then your company time starts when you became 'TRUCK DRIVER'?

Maybe we need to just bid it all every year all 1 board Line Haul,Hub,City and let the chips fall maybe some of the big boys you talk about might end up on a city bid and run some of the fat off wouldn't that be fun to see. But you are right if you did 10 years on the dock then They let you be 'TRUCK DRIVER' then your company time starts when you became 'TRUCK DRIVER'?

Are you saying that some of our road drivers have a weight problem? No way!:biglaugh: