ODFL | What to expect on road test day?

Pt919

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi guys, can any of you give me a little info on what to expect on the road test? I have one coming up in a couple weeks. The TM said it will be about 45 mins long with his lead trainer. I have about 8 months driving experience. I have driven international trucks at my current company, but never driven freighliner or Volvo before. I dont know which truck he has. Im afraid that i might grind gears a little bit at first, will that count against me? Also, can i float or have to double clutch on this road test? lets say i am in the high gear (6th - 10th), and i am coming to a stop, do i need to go into The lower gear (4th or 5th) gear before stopping or could i just put it into neutral? Thank you for your inputs. Really looking foward to joining OD.

Hi guys, can any of you give me a little info on what to expect on the road test? I have one coming up in a couple weeks. The TM said it will be about 45 mins long with his lead trainer. I have about 8 months driving experience. I have driven international trucks at my current company, but never driven freighliner or Volvo before. I dont know which truck he has. Im afraid that i might grind gears a little bit at first, will that count against me? Also, can i float or have to double clutch on this road test? lets say i am in the high gear (6th - 10th), and i am coming to a stop, do i need to go into The lower gear (4th or 5th) gear before stopping or could i just put it into neutral? Thank you for your inputs. Really looking foward to joining OD.
Wouldn't worry to much.If it's a driver trainer wouldn't worry.Just go drive like you should.I would double clutch just be on safe side.Everyone is different so hard to say.Good Luck

Double Clutch and use the Smith System.

Most driver trainers worth their weight understand and embrace it..

I practice it during work,and I must say it does help alot.

As a trainer, you don't need to be too worried. We are just looking to make sure you can hook, drop and get up and down the road safely. We understand being rusty. I've had some extremely rough ones that I could tell were nervous. I simply let the manager know they may need a few more days with a driver trainer, after hired. Nothing terribly strict, like you state road test. Good luck!

Thank you all for your encouraging responses. Took my 30 minutes road test today and passed. The trainer was pretty easy going. He didnt care if i float, just wanted to make sure that I could drive and not beat up the truck. After completing the road test, back to the office and filled out the app on the kiosk, took ID picture, went to a nearby medical office to take the drug screen, brought the form back to terminal and handed to the office manager lady. Then the terminal manager said I should know the result from corporate within a week for my background check. Im keeping my finger crossed and hoping for the best.

Thank you all for your encouraging responses. Took my 30 minutes road test today and passed. The trainer was pretty easy going. He didnt care if i float, just wanted to make sure that I could drive and not beat up the truck. After completing the road test, back to the office and filled out the app on the kiosk, took ID picture, went to a nearby medical office to take the drug screen, brought the form back to terminal and handed to the office manager lady. Then the terminal manager said I should know the result from corporate within a week for my background check. Im keeping my finger crossed and hoping for the best.

Dont worry about the background check either. I raised alil hell when i was younger and they hired me. As long as you don't have a murder charge im sure your in.

If they road tested you and took your picture for the ID and sent you for the drug screen you're in. Just make sure your app is 120% honest. I have seen guys brought on and canned within the first 90 for falsies on their app.

Yup, i got the green light from corporate today. Will be training for P&D position on Monday, then linehaul the following week. The TM manager said he might have me on linehaul sooner than first anticipated. Im just really grateful and excited to be working for OD. The TM seems really nice, I will not let him down for giving me an opportunity to be working a lot closer to my home. I dont have to commute 3 hrs back and forth each day to work anymore.