XPO | What would you do if?

Lost Cause

TB Lurker
Credits
If another LTL company called you and offered you a position as a driver and they offered comparable vacation time based on years of service, Health, Dental, Life, Vision, 401k + actually matched it. The same or more pay per hour and mile than what you currently making and stated that all of their trucks have A/C. What would you do?

I would do research on them ... financial statements if they are publicly owned .. ask other drivers from that company about them .. it would be a hard choice to jump ship especially with the state of the economy. I would also find out how many hours the "bottom" guy is working or miles if they are running linehaul.

I would convince senior guys that this oppurtunity is too good to pass up! And then I'd bask in the glory of my 7 am start time!

Honestly it'd be hard to leave where I am. I'm pretty comfortable here. I'd certainly check it out but the odds would lean towards staying I think.

That is a hard one. If they were a Company with a good reputation and was also a growing Company ? That would be a hard one. I think that the only thing that would keep me here at Con-Way would be my Seniority. BUT they are doing everything they can to kill the advantages of having Seniority. BUT it would be nice to have a choice even if I stayed here.:shift::shift:

If another LTL company called you and offered you a position as a driver and they offered comparable vacation time based on years of service, Health, Dental, Life, Vision, 401k + actually matched it. The same or more pay per hour and mile than what you currently making and stated that all of their trucks have A/C. What would you do?

pretty simple.( if they called me) i would tell them lets talk, but its gonna cost ya

If there were positions out there like that with those benefits, then Con-way would not have given you a 5% paycut. If you've got a decent amout of seniority or even a couple of years, just stay here. It will get better.

I'm not giving up my seniority or my EASY job. ( I work in the city) :)

I woild think about it,,,but would want to know if If the work was there for the guys at the bottom.....there would be alot of thought before i just jumped ship

And they're going to say "here is your $14 to $17 /hr. starting pay.
ah ha, but the question was if they offered the same or more, to be honest i am not going nowhere, at least not by choice anyway. been here a very long time and plan on staying. i still believe in this co. and see them being around a very long time

Id brush them off unless i was off by 5 everyday. I hate starting at 11am because we have to wait for freight to come in and then not get home till 10pm or later every night. Thats all i want besides a truck with working a/c!!!!!:ranting2::Flame-On::ranting2::Flame-On::ranting2::Flame-On::ranting2:

Just remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. They are having there troubles too, and I would hate to know that I had to start at the bottom of anybody's board right now. If you have anytime invested in Con-Way I personally think I would stay. If you have less than a year it might be worth a shot. Just remember the things Con-Way offered you when you went to work here and how they have changed. The other place can say anything, but they can also turn around and take it all back next week. Things will get back to normal at Con-Way if you will give it time. I'm not a koolaid drinker. Just look at our stock prices and remember we were at 12 dollars and some change about 9 weeks ago. I'm even thinking positive that we will get a raise in Oct.-Nov.

I would convince senior guys that this oppurtunity is too good to pass up! And then I'd bask in the glory of my 7 am start time!

Honestly it'd be hard to leave where I am. I'm pretty comfortable here. I'd certainly check it out but the odds would lean towards staying I think.

Yes all things being equal...I have to say i would stay here...even though I moan and complain...I know its stable here..and its really getting hard to find a stable trucking company...stable anything

if everything is the same then why leave because all companies treat their driver bad at one time or another there is not a perfect company out there:shift:

:nutkick:seniorty at con-way you guys have got to be jokeing i have 19 years one million safe miles plus and work the city and drive a pice of junk truck and a guy with three years fallows behind me with a new truck now figer that

:nutkick:seniorty at con-way you guys have got to be jokeing i have 19 years one million safe miles plus and work the city and drive a pice of junk truck and a guy with three years fallows behind me with a new truck now figer that
HEY HARLEY;
Think about it. After 19 years you know the score. It's not the seniority but who kisses who's @ss . That's standard Con-Way S.O.P.

The thing about new offers is ..they all look wonderful, and the bulk of recuiters out there will tell you Anything to make your company look below par of theirs.

Regulation states that the A/C is operable in Any truck..and these days a whole lot of folks won't comply with the "green" thing, placing the emission updates so we can travel into lovely California, or sending money on the new antifreeze mixture..alot of them figure it isn't worth it and they find other freight to haul. I sit in an industrial area four to nine hours a day with no A/C, and the job I have is one that came along after four months of unemployment. For me in my search, what I have now equates after taxes to nothing more than MINIMUM WAGE, and in my area there Is nothing better that's available. From what I hear, starters for alot of places now are bottom of the barrel..and a job at all is better than no job or being at the bottom of the pole.

Drink more fluids, add vitamins, take care of yourself, and don't let the smoke screen of the other company blind you. Follow the advise of carniflex if you feel you need more seniority...but stay where you are. If this new company lets you in and takes a drop in clientele, you'll screw yourself.