FedEx Freight | What would YOU do to make FXF better?

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
Everybody always want's to point fingers at management so if you were in control and had the power, what would you want to change and what would you change it to?

Stop the micromanaging from upper managment
let front line sup's make decisions
let us work
(don't sub work out to gypos )
start firing people who refuse work
my favorite saying , I dont have to work the
dock, I'm a driver , REALLY ?
make everybody adhere to the employees manual
including management
I could go on , and I will later

I disagree. Why should a driver be required to work a dock? Is it not enough that he has to drive a few hours each way? Now if a guy has a 70 mile shuttle run, then I guess he doesn't have much choice unless he wants a light paycheck

Clandestine_ice said:
I disagree. Why should a driver be required to work a dock? Is it not enough that he has to drive a few hours each way? Now if a guy has a 70 mile shuttle run, then I guess he doesn't have much choice unless he wants a light paycheck

Why would they pay a guy to sit if he has hours to work the dock?

Stop the micromanaging from upper managment
let front line sup's make decisions
let us work
(don't sub work out to gypos )
start firing people who refuse work
my favorite saying , I dont have to work the
dock, I'm a driver , REALLY ?
make everybody adhere to the employees manual
including management
I could go on , and I will later

West, you don't build a world class company by lowering the standard of excellence! The micromanaging will let off, when folks start actually doing their job. Want examples? I see road drivers every day that do no pre-trip, attempt to drive out the gate with safety chains dragging, or flat tires, and then wonder why they get stopped and hauled short by the management on duty!!

As for subhauling freight, there are lanes like LA to Portland Oregon where 3 or 4 years ago, 66% of the drivers southbound from Portland were empty. How can you make money running even 15% empty miles, let alone 66%? The subhauls are designed to balance lanes. Company drivers run loaded both ways and the subhauls are to handle excess freight and prevent bouncing billboards.

ST

In the maintenance dept I would get rid of the maintenance coordinators and put outsourcing responsibilities back to the closest shop FMM (like former West footprint used to do). Those guys do nothing but **** off our vendors. The vendors used to bend over backwards for us if we were in a bind. Now they could care less if we have a road breakdown or high-priority need because they have been sh** on so much.
We (the shops) also used to help coordinate line breakdown repairs. Now Central Dispatch won't even call the shop if they aren't sure who to use or who is closer to perform a breakdown repair. We have had tire vendors called for blowouts that were less than 10 miles from our shop. WTF??

In the maintenance dept I would get rid of the maintenance coordinators and put outsourcing responsibilities back to the closest shop FMM (like former West footprint used to do). Those guys do nothing but **** off our vendors. The vendors used to bend over backwards for us if we were in a bind. Now they could care less if we have a road breakdown or high-priority need because they have been sh** on so much.
We (the shops) also used to help coordinate line breakdown repairs. Now Central Dispatch won't even call the shop if they aren't sure who to use or who is closer to perform a breakdown repair. We have had tire vendors called for blowouts that were less than 10 miles from our shop. WTF??

Hmmm...now there's some good stuff. I hope this gets to the right ears 'cause this is for sure a area that needs improvement.
Good post gg11, I didn't realize this was going on.

Why would they pay a guy to sit if he has hours to work the dock?

Who said anything about getting paid to sit in the parking lot? I have no problem with a guy sleeping and getting rest before he has to turn back. I realize you obviously don't like the idea of a guy just strictly driving but I guess it's just a matter of opinion

I've always had a problem with this policy. Driving should be left to drivers and loading/unloading should be left to dock professionals. I've seen hundreds of examples of pissed off drivers just cramming freight in the box with no regard to the company whatsoever. But I'm sure there's plenty of drivers who like the added benifit of dock work for extra money. But as for me? Give me the extra sleepy time

you bid a run 400 and less you work the dock
its all in black and white, this goes back to the employees
handbook , what, the rules are for some people , and not all ?
you put your time in , you bid something different
Here's where I get in trouble
we lowered our standards when we bought watkins and let them
dovetail in
we had hiring standards that went out the door
sorry but if they could have got a job at fedex they would have
And by the way , my run requires me to work the dock
hopefully when some people retire , quit , get fired I'll get a
non-dock bid

West, I'm going to disagree here...the drivers that came over from National LTL are just like the drivers at freight: "The good ones make the difference, the bad one's make the reputation.".

I've seen plenty of freight drivers that have no business being employed here. I've seen some National folks that are very dedicated pro's. And vice versa. To categorically claim the National folks aren't good enough to work here is absurd. Guessing a few of them dovetailed in above you???

ST

Oh come now. You didn't agree with letting them dovetail in with their job class seniority? Seemed real fair to me . NOT! Yea, national driver A was road driving for 8 months and kicks FXE driver down the ladder or out the door for that matter cause he only drove road for 6 months despite the fact he was with the company for much much longer? Crazy

Clandestine_ice said:
West, I'm going to disagree here...the drivers that came over from National LTL are just like the drivers at freight: "The good ones make the difference, the bad one's make the reputation.".

I've seen plenty of freight drivers that have no business being employed here. I've seen some National folks that are very dedicated pro's. And vice versa. To categorically claim the National folks aren't good enough to work here is absurd. Guessing a few of them dovetailed in above you???

ST

I think National drivers should have went to the bottom,and I didnt even get bumped.We folded them into our company,shut them down.Not to mention Freight was purchased first.I really like some of the maintenance ideas,keep it regional!

Oh come now. You didn't agree with letting them dovetail in with their job class seniority? Seemed real fair to me . NOT! Yea, national driver A was road driving for 8 months and kicks FXE driver down the ladder or out the door for that matter cause he only drove road for 6 months despite the fact he was with the company for much much longer? Crazy

FN, we could argue the seniority all day and night. I understand what you're saying. Bad situation all the way around, caused primarily the Obama created depression, which the liberal media refuses to acknowledge. OOPS, I'm being politically incorrect by pointing out it's a DEPRESSION, not a recession. If McCain were President, we'd be in a depression.

Standing down from my soapbox.

ST

Thats weird,the above quote isnt mine...anyway, the National drivers we have at my barn are good guys.My opinion isnt formed out of any kind of grudge or anything.

Thats weird,the above quote isnt mine...anyway, the National drivers we have at my barn are good guys.My opinion isnt formed out of any kind of grudge or anything.

That is weird for sure!

At any rate I agree. Great guys from national at my barn and no grudge. FedEx didn't play fair plain and simple. Just something we had to endure. Time to move on I guess

FN, my sincere apologies, computer screw up on my part, it was someone elses quote. You stated something below and somehow I lost it. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most!!!

ST

Go find Pete K. Beg him to come back and run linehaul the way it ought to be run. Sorry of this would upset you Silent, but Conway is always there for you.

I think National drivers should have went to the bottom,and I didnt even get bumped.We folded them into our company,shut them down.Not to mention Freight was purchased first.I really like some of the maintenance ideas,keep it regional!

And here I was told it was a merge. I guess you know better.

I would call it a merger if both sides were equal.National was dwarfed by Freight and the product didnt sell like they thought.And we kept the Freight name.