What Would You Do?

SuperCourse

It's About The Borders - Idiot
Credits
Friday night we stopped at a restaurant about 4 miles from our house for a beer and a bite to eat. The check came to $30 and change. I paid with a credit card and added a 20% tip which brought it to $36 and change. I made a mistake when I filled out the slip and put $26 for the total, which I realized after I got home and was looking at the receipt. I checked my credit card account on line and saw that the restaurant had charged me the cost of the meal, $30 and change, this meant my waitress didn't get her tip.

How would you handle this situation?

Friday night we stopped at a restaurant about 4 miles from our house for a beer and a bite to eat. The check came to $30 and change. I paid with a credit card and added a 20% tip which brought it to $36 and change. I made a mistake when I filled out the slip and put $26 for the total, which I realized after I got home and was looking at the receipt. I checked my credit card account on line and saw that the restaurant had charged me the cost of the meal, $30 and change, this meant my waitress didn't get her tip.

How would you handle this situation?

Drop off the tip in cash, next time you go by the joint in an envelope for the server and a note expressing your gratitude for good service. A shiny penny enclosed in addition to the tip, expresses your sincerity!

If you do not know the servers name, include date, time and ask the host/hostess for the table number...

Whenever I pay for a meal with my plastic, I always pay the tip in cash, and give it to the waitress/waiter personally.

As for the situation for the OP, if it were me, I would stop by either just to give the waitress the tip in person, or go for another meal and make sure she gets a double tip.

i too never include the tip in with the credit card. cash is best, and the server gets it faster than waiting for the manager or whomever to hand it to her. actually, i once read were the tips when paid on a credit card, take over a day or so to reach the server, and that is even if the person handing out the tips, actually DOES give the tips to the server.. and like the others said, go back and hand it to her, or drop off an envelope with her name on it, if she is not on duty when you get there.

All good suggestions, I actually had already resolved the issue when I posted this dilemma. I was curious how most people would handle it, if they would blow it off, or rectify it. I called the restaurant sunday around noon and talked to the hostess, she told me that Brandi, the waitress, was there and would I like to talk to her. I said well no, if she's there I'll come over and give her the tip. When I got there the hostess went to get Brandi and she and the manager came out, I apoligized and gave her a $10 tip rather than the original $6 tip, she thanked me and the manager thanked me and said "I've never seen anything like this before". I too usually try to tip in cash but didn't have any small enough bills with me friday night. Sometimes I do dumb things, I like to fix them if I can.

Drop off the tip in cash, next time you go by the joint in an envelope for the server and a note expressing your gratitude for good service. A shiny penny enclosed in addition to the tip, expresses your sincerity!

If you do not know the servers name, include date, time and ask the host/hostess for the table number...

Elwood, I like the shiny penny thing, tell me more about that.

Mrs. El was a server and bartender for many years. She has informed me that a shiny penny or tarnished if that is all you possess, is a tip over a tip if you wish to inform your server that they have performed service beyond the normal call.

EX: If a member of your party has a tendency to complain, or not be considerate of a server when requesting condiments and add ons so there are many trips required v. one trip to bring special requests....

If I am celebrating a special occasion with a group and a gratuity of 15% is included due to a 'large' party, I usually add 10% in cash, if the service was excellent, server was pleasant and accommodating to all reasonable special requests and provided something maybe not everyone might order as a taste treat. Top that off with a penny on the cash gratuity or receipt booklet, gets the servers attention to detail and your appreciation thereof. It is also a unique signature that will have servers remember you and your generosity.

There is a courtesy given to servers, especially when very busy, to be prepared to give your order and have special requests organized to ensure promptness.

I agreed with everyones post on this matter.....It's refreshing to know that there are so many that appreciate the hard work of waiters and waitress, or "servers" if you prefer. They work hard and all to often have to put up with some real low life losers....

SuperCourse, It was a nice touch to take care of it person in the way that you did....You can be assured of Great service on your next visit ...... ..

I agreed with everyones post on this matter.....It's refreshing to know that there are so many that appreciate the hard work of waiters and waitress, or "servers" if you prefer. They work hard and all to often have to put up with some real low life losers....

it ain't that i appreciate a waiter or waitress, that is their job, to make us wait.

bedsides when i was younger i would never leave a tip, not even a dirty penny for anyone who didn't make me wait long enough or took care of me right away, the mitigating gall of some "waitstaff", totally NOT doing thier job and serving me fast. besides now, at my age and temporary disability, since i cannot out run a fatter than an elephant waitress, i stay away from tipping eateries..!!!